Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2001 Malibu Sunsetter VLX

Spills994

Hey guys,

I'm in the process of purchasing a 01 Sunsetter VLX and I heard this is the best website to ask questions and what not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

What are some things to check before buying besides the obvious? What are some common things that go wrong or break for this model? Also I was wondering what would be a fair price for this boat? Here are the options...

Samson blade tower

2 Tower wet sound 8's with the combined enclosure

Two old kicker 12" subs one is wired

Some old clarion speakers

One plumbed 500 sack, another 500 and 750 unplumbed. One extra puppy motor.

2012 byerly hazard wakesurf board

Ropes life vest

2 tubes

NO WEDGE! Also where can I buy the wedge? Is it a must have for the diamond hull?

4 of the 8 seats need redone and it needs a buff.

Any advice would be awesome. Thanks!

-Chance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its hard to estimate a price without seeing the condition or knowing the hours. I would guess low 20's.

The wedge makes a big difference in the shape of the wake, but not really the size. I always use it when boarding. It makes the wake much steeper. I don't think it is a must, but if you could find one at a good price it would be a worthy upgrade.

THe diamond hull really flattens out well for a v drive with no weight. It has been a really good all around boat for us. Good luck

Price depends on market/demand. Spring=higher cost. Paid $19,500 for mine with 176 hours, perfect interior, wedge, but none of the other extras that one has. Those don't really add to the value from what others have stated. Wedge setup would cost $1000+ I would think as everything else with a B.O.A.T.

Okay great thanks guys. What/where do you have your sacs for the surf wake?

That boat had less than 200 hours. The one I'm looking at is in mid to rough condition. The sound system needs to be gone through and maybe wired different or tuned up. And it needs about $1000 worth of upholstery work. Being my first boat I'm excited to get it and tinker with it.

Also, my sister slaloms and will be coming with me/ using the boat a lot. And I'm just getting into wakeboarding so I figured the diamond hull wouldn't be a big deal.

That boat had less than 200 hours. The one I'm looking at is in mid to rough condition. The sound system needs to be gone through and maybe wired different or tuned up. And it needs about $1000 worth of upholstery work. Being my first boat I'm excited to get it and tinker with it.

Also, my sister slaloms and will be coming with me/ using the boat a lot. And I'm just getting into wakeboarding so I figured the diamond hull wouldn't be a big deal.

Cool, sounds like a good boat model for you then, just wanted you to be informed.

I never surf but with 500 lbs on the locker and the wedge plus 4 adults the wake was pretty decent for boarding. At 30 mph a pretty good skier. I found when I added more weight to the rear lockers I didn't like the using the wedge. My preference was wedge and ski locker just because it was easier than extra sacks in the rear. But that is my pretty. Novice level

Hey guys,

I'm in the process of purchasing a 01 Sunsetter VLX and I heard this is the best website to ask questions and what not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

What are some things to check before buying besides the obvious? What are some common things that go wrong or break for this model? Also I was wondering what would be a fair price for this boat? Here are the options...

Samson blade tower

2 Tower wet sound 8's with the combined enclosure

Two old kicker 12" subs one is wired

Some old clarion speakers

One plumbed 500 sack, another 500 and 750 unplumbed. One extra puppy motor.

2012 byerly hazard wakesurf board

Ropes life vest

2 tubes

NO WEDGE! Also where can I buy the wedge? Is it a must have for the diamond hull?

4 of the 8 seats need redone and it needs a buff.

Any advice would be awesome. Thanks!

-Chance

I'm looking to sell my 99 VLX. The interior has one nick in it, 6 years old, and has always been stored in a climate controlled warehouse. If you are interested, PM me with your email and I'll send you pics and a further run down. Check out my other topic " Time for a New Boat" with some more details/comments.

I was seeing mid to low 20s for the 01 last fall when I was looking which included single axel trailer, good condition and maybe tower. I got mine with work needing to be done on underwater gear but got the new parts in the deal. I chose the ss vlx 01 with diamond hull also since I like to slalom and wakeboard.

Awesome, how do you like the boat?

I have a 01 SS VLX as well and think its a fantastic boat for the money. It can do most things pretty well and is basic enough that it is still current with parts and accessories and has classic Bu lines that everyone loves all while being family friendly. If you have specific questions, feel free to PM me and we can talk. Not having everything in the boat isn't as important as the history and condition of it. Since I got mine, I have redone the stereo. added board racks, made a custom bimini, bought an Evolution cover, added Perfect Pass and countless other little things to make it better.

So far I like it. I came from an I/o stern drive boat so can't compare. I have yet to ski behind it. Been waiting for time to have the wife drive me. I took my young son wake boarding the other weekend. Listen for fuel pump whine and check for wear patterns on the strut bushing that may indicate misalignment.

Awesome will do guys, I just heard back from The shop in Dallas, they checked out the boat and said the compression checked out good and the boat mechanically sound just needs a good detail, seats, and stereo worked on.