Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stereo Upgrade- What to buy

jfish1288

1) either way, you will be pulling some cable. Pull all they need to be pulled at one time. Wont matter if its 2 large amp cables or some speaker leads, RCAs and a turn on.

2) possible but chances are slim to none.

3) Overheating amps is rare, even more so with efficient class-D amp. In a lot of hot amp cases, its not a result of the location, but rather its tune, load, battery voltage.cable gauge or being mounted directly to a carpeted wall.

4) Looking at the enclosure mock up, I dont see how you will see anything under the helm, once the sub it in place. Looks like it would be a challenge to make the final tune on the amps with the sub in place.

There are hundreds of thousands of similar boats at there with the amps installed in that very same locker and do not experience any of the above issues. So place the amps where you feel the most comfortable with.

I suppose you are right on all accounts. No need to re-invent the wheel.

With the amps in the locker will I need to be extra diligent about wet life jackets/towels getting thrown in there?

I suppose you are right on all accounts. No need to re-invent the wheel.

With the amps in the locker will I need to be extra diligent about wet life jackets/towels getting thrown in there?

yes / that's what the rear lockers are for (wet jackets).

Here are the updated plans.

The logic for how to wire the the battery switch and ACR came from blue seas site and shawndoggy's drawing, so I have a question for Shawn:

Why is the lead to the amp power distribution block connected to the battery terminal instead of the switch post?

With it wired to the battery terminal, you cannot actually disconnect the stereo battery by turning the switch to "off". Is that a good thing>

post-28780-0-74414400-1431987113_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Well, thanks to TMC and several late nights after work last week I was able to get my new system installed before the memorial day weekend. Definitely a huge improvement. Special thanks to Shawndoggy and IXFE, I couldn't have done it without those guy's help.

Here are some pics:

post-28780-0-94124000-1432681967_thumb.j

post-28780-0-01087600-1432681977_thumb.j

post-28780-0-67511400-1432681993_thumb.j

• Like 1

That empty space in the middle of the amp rack will hold a sub amp before too long. And I think I may end up putting the 400X4 on the towers and the 500X2 on the cabin speakers as MLA suggested.