Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tuned up, but under load no power

2006 VLX with 340 Monsoon. I just replaced the cap and rotor, all new plugs and wires and it idles great. But once it is put under a load, like taking off, when the wedge deploys, or with any ballast, it struggles. Really anything over 3000 RPMs it will struggle and surge. Side note, I run premium fuel in it. I will say too, that if it the neutral button is pressed it will run and hold 4000 RPM just fine without surging and it sounds great. I am not sure where to go next with it...

So where do I go from here?

I was going to check the fuel filter tomorrow. I did some reading and was going to try and replace it. Thank you!

And yes, all the wires are in the right firing order. It is actually really nice, The wire kit comes pre-labeled with the cylinder number, and the distributor cap is the same way. Makes changing them much easier!

It did run alright last season, it sat winterized for about two months. The first couple times we got it out in march it ran fine. Here recently, the power issue started happening. That is when I pulled the distributor cap off and saw all the corrosion on the prongs. It was running pretty rough at that point, and for that day I cleaned them up as best I could and it did run better (the idle), but not under a load. That is why I figured it just needed a tune up. A couple of the plugs looked kind of worse for the ware and I think they were the original wires. Other than everything is new on the ignition side it doesn't run any better.

Thank all of you for you input! I appreciate it very much!

if you just changed the cap that shouldn't affect the timing, it's not like you turned the distributor. My thoughts are with Dare suggestion of fuel starvation. Had very similar issues a year or two ago, if the fuel pump is starving from it starts to scream/whine, so if you are noticing more noise then usual it's likely your problem. Good luck.

I've seen a high pressure issue several times due to clogging of the fuel pressure regulator. Pick up a fuel pressure gauge for free rental at any auto place. Your boat should be 58-62 psi. I'll give you 50% it's high. High fuel pressure causes a very rich issue and can lead to fouled plugs. The pressure fitting is on the port side fuel rail.

Alternatively, you could just pull the fuel preussure regulator and take a look at the screen on it. The regulator is on a fuel distrobution block at the fore starboard side of the engine. Looke like this:

fuelreg4bar_LG.jpg

I had the same problem with my 05 vlx. Couldn't get it above 12 mph but it idled fine. Replaced the fuel pump and it ran perfectly. They're like $4 at O'Riley and take a few minutes to replace.

I had the same problem with my 05 vlx. Couldn't get it above 12 mph but it idled fine. Replaced the fuel pump and it ran perfectly. They're like $4 at O'Riley and take a few minutes to replace.

$4 for a Fuel pump or filter?

Hey guys, thanks so much for all the input! It was the fuel filter. It was full of junk! I'm ordering a new one but cleaned up the old one for the time being and all the power was restored. We ran it fairly heavy this morning and it did great!! Thanks again for all the help guys! If anyone is in the Augusta, GA area hit me up and come ride!! 574-377-0625 or [email protected]

Glad you got it sorted out. Enjoy your weekend.

A quick suggestion....edit your phone number out of the previous post before the bots get ahold of it and your phone starts ringing nonstop with people that want to separate you from your money.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm experiencing this same issue on my '02 Wakesetter XTI. Two weeks ago during the first outing of the season could not get the rpms over 3500. Same thing yesterday. Dropped the wedge and starts failing around 2500. Terrible scream/whine sound as well.

I'm experiencing this same issue on my '02 Wakesetter XTI. Two weeks ago during the first outing of the season could not get the rpms over 3500. Same thing yesterday. Dropped the wedge and starts failing around 2500. Terrible scream/whine sound as well.

iirc that scream/whine is fuel pump starving for fuel and/or ready to fail.

replace fuel filter and clean the screen that is in the inlet fitting on the fuel pump.