Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What do you use to protect your teak platform?

I'm debating whether or not to just buy a fiberglass replacement, but if I can find some heavy duty sealer or oil then I think that would be the best choice. My boat cover, covers the ski platform but it still gets cruddy. What's my best choice in your opinion?

Edited by bbbushy

Teak oil only. Never ever use any kind of sealer on teak. Once the oil dries put a cover on it. In the winter I put mine platform in the attic. I oil mine after each trip to the lake.

DSC00246.jpg

• Like 3

That's how I did my 06 teak deck. ^^^^ Get it right then quick wipe each week either after coming home and it was dry or usually wiped just before leaving to tow it to lake. Dries before getting to ramp.

Ditto WMH's post. A few moments with a brush and some teak oil every once in a while keeps it looking beautiful and provides excellent traction.

Mine looked trashed when I bought the boat (dull grey) and was amazed how readily it restored to like new and has stayed like that for the 6 years I've had the boat. I just oil it about three times a year. Takes about five minutes.

DSCN1751_zps253a2d6c.jpg

Edited by GreenMan
  • Like 2

When I bought my boat my platform was nearly black. Don't know what the heck he put on there. But ran my palm sander over it a few times and then some Starbrite teak oil. Has looked brand new ever since

When I bought my boat my platform was nearly black. Don't know what the heck he put on there. But ran my palm sander over it a few times and then some Starbrite teak oil. Has looked brand new ever since

Your previous owner would have used the same as mine - nothin'.

• Like 1

If I didn't moor my boat I'd probably just do oil. Since having it in the water is worth the convenience to me I switched to Watco 'Teak Oil' Finish based on some comparisons on here. Lasted all season last year without reapplying and I like the color better then the starbrite. Definitely happy with it.

If I didn't moor my boat I'd probably just do oil. Since having it in the water is worth the convenience to me I switched to Watco 'Teak Oil' Finish based on some comparisons on here. Lasted all season last year without reapplying and I like the color better then the starbrite. Definitely happy with it.

Same here. Mine lasted 1 season in a pole building and 1 season in the driveway. Had to redo it last month. High hopes!

i recently bought my first boat and it has a teak swim platform also, the guy gave me some Golden Teak oil with the boat. When i got it home the platform was pretty rough so i oil it up a couple times and it looked really nice but one trip to the water and its dull and dry now. Is this just how teak is or do i need to sand it then oil it for it to hold a little better?

i recently bought my first boat and it has a teak swim platform also, the guy gave me some Golden Teak oil with the boat. When i got it home the platform was pretty rough so i oil it up a couple times and it looked really nice but one trip to the water and its dull and dry now. Is this just how teak is or do i need to sand it then oil it for it to hold a little better?

In my experience, that is just how teak OIL is. If you use the sealer I used in my thread you'll get a season out of it. I am interested in this Watco "Teak oil finish" that lasts the whole year. I'd love to see some pics of that stuff. Sounds like its not your typical oil.

In my experience, that is just how teak OIL is. If you use the sealer I used in my thread you'll get a season out of it. I am interested in this Watco "Teak oil finish" that lasts the whole year. I'd love to see some pics of that stuff. Sounds like its not your typical oil.

Don't have any pictures of my own since I'm at work, but there is this thread.

Sand like crazy down to bare wood then oil it on a regular bases. Keep it covered so it's not in the sun.
  • Like 1

Thanks, I'm going to try sanding it. I understand I won't last long but seems to me it should last more than a couple hours on the river but we will see.

Thanks, I'm going to try sanding it. I understand I won't last long but seems to me it should last more than a couple hours on the river but we will see.

It will last much longer than a "couple hours". The pic I posted at the top of this thread was taken (I think) 7 years ago. It still looks that good with only a light sanding after a few years.

The seller may have cleaned and oiled it once, so maybe a few more coats will help.

Levi, I have Watco oil, and I suspect that it may have a little Tung Oil in it. I also suspect that teak sealer just has a lot more Tung Oil. I usually only have to touch up where slalom skegs scrape the deck.

Having had teak for 22 years on the back of my tug. I have used everything from the weekly teak oil thing. I used teak sealer, Now I use 75% boiled linseed oil 25% mineral spirits. I apply it once at the start of the season and it last all year. Mine still looks good at the end of the year but has a few places on the edges where it has rubbed off. Feels like teak oiled so it is not slipper like the teak sealer is. I learned this from another forum and I can attest it is the best method by far that I have used.

• Like 1

So...what happens if you have tried both methods and just given up hope to try and maintain the teak? Does teak rot out or split without oil or sealant? I am just curious as when I first purchased my boat (2000 vlx) I did the sealant thing and got maybe 1 season out of it. After the sealant wore off completely I tried oiling it for a few seasons and eventually gave up on that process since it seemed like I was just blowing through teak oil (lake trips 2-4 times a week). A few seasons back I just said "screw it" and I have left it bare the last few seasons. At this point I may just make it part of my pre and post season checklist...unless there is functional reason otherwise (I don't care about the dry look).

So...what happens if you have tried both methods and just given up hope to try and maintain the teak? Does teak rot out or split without oil or sealant? I am just curious as when I first purchased my boat (2000 vlx) I did the sealant thing and got maybe 1 season out of it. After the sealant wore off completely I tried oiling it for a few seasons and eventually gave up on that process since it seemed like I was just blowing through teak oil (lake trips 2-4 times a week). A few seasons back I just said "screw it" and I have left it bare the last few seasons. At this point I may just make it part of my pre and post season checklist...unless there is functional reason otherwise (I don't care about the dry look).

That is the point I was at until I used the linseed oil mineral spirits mixture. Once a year touch up that takes about 20 minutes to do and it is good all season. I mixed it up and put it in a paint can that I purchase from HD and just open the can every year and apply with a paper towel and done.

Edited by skibumm

The teak should just turn gray and start to look "fuzzy" after a few years. It shouldn't rot or crack for a very long time.

Correct. Just take a look at the underside of most any teak. The top of mine looks great, but the bottom....well....it looks like a bottom.