Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone experience T23 ballast wakeboarding/surfing?

MystiikVLX

Curious if anyone has any recommendations for weighting a new T23 for wakeboarding and some surfing.

My boat is currently on order and I'm just trying to figure out what sacs to hook up to the pnp.

I would prefer to avoid any sacs in the cabin or on the seats if possible but am interested to hear what is working for you all.

900 Sumo or 1100 Fly High rear. You won't need sacks on the seats with surfgate but depending on your crew size you may or may not need an extra 750-800 sack in the center floor, just depends on your needs or wants. On my A24 with 5+ adults I wont use extra sacks but when it's 2-3 of us I'll use 800-1200 in extra sacks. I'm not the norm though when it comes to weighting a boat for surfing, I like to go heavy 4000+

Edited by AJWest

What weighting do you use for wake boarding?

I would guess he weights it the same for surfing and wakeboarding. I don't think he uses the wedge for wakeboarding though. Big engines, big boats, big weight, produces a big wake.

On my buddy's T23 he has 900 Sumo's (fills about half for wakeboarding). He has a Sumo 650 underseat bow sack and another 200lbs of lead tucked into the bow.

Edited by AJWest
  • 1 month later...

On my buddy's T23 he has 900 Sumo's (fills about half for wakeboarding). He has a Sumo 650 underseat bow sack and another 200lbs of lead tucked into the bow.

Just curious, was he using the wedge for wake boarding?

Just curious, was he using the wedge for wake boarding?

We like boost so wedge for us. We haven't gone nutty and "slammed" the boat and gone without the wedge. There's a point with Axis hulls where you can really load it down 60/40 or close to 50/50 as you feel comfortable with and even without the wedge it'll get a lip.

Just got back from an early morning run at Berryessa. Driver, two skinny teenage girls, my son (~170 lbs) and my fat @$$ on our T23.

We fill all the bags til they spit out the sides and burp the rears.

We have the 900 Sumos PNP and whatever big bag fits up under the playpen area that pops the center front seat cushion (barely), wedge down and 300 lbs of lead up the center walkway.

Nice wave, next time I will try all 600 lbs of lead at the center walkway.

BTW, no problems at all with the torque prop. Acme 2313 I think.

Didn't get around to wakeboarding this morning as the two girls had never surfed or boarded before and they both got up and rode!!!!

Edited by EricU