Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Getting there.....

itznowonder

Great job!

On two separate occasions after I have replaced the impeller, I have found a screw rattled out of the housing. Now, after impeller replacement, I always check the screws after the first day of running and they always require a re-tighten after which they are fine.

Hopefully the rest of your season is fun-filled and free of trouble!

Any reason why Loctite or another thread locker would be bad in this situation? I think that is the route I will look to if it is this common...

Congratulations on fixing your Bu' yourself.

Any reason why Loctite or another thread locker would be bad in this situation? I think that is the route I will look to if it is this common...

The brass screws are soft and will strip or break easily, dont use any thread locker just make sure you use the proper screws.

Same thing happened to me. 3 brass screws missing. I ordered replacements (and some extras), and also used lock washers.

Damn it, now I need to check to make sure mine aren't backing out as we start the season. This site is great, but can make you paranoid as you start to realize all the ways a day on the water can be ruined :D

If you really have a problem with the screws backing out, get a can of aviation shellac (at an auto parts store) and put a small dab on each screw's threads before you install them. They won't back out, but you can remove them easily when you want to.

You go girl! Have you gone back to the marina that did your service? At the least they owe you a new brass screw and gasket. And maybe a free winterization for your trouble.

I called and explained the situation and sent pictures. They better know they are going to compensate me somehow for the trouble. My boat is kind of in the middle of nowhere so it wasn't easy getting the proper screw. And who couldn't use one of those, am I right? :)

• Like 3

I called and explained the situation and sent pictures. They better know they are going to compensate me somehow for the trouble. My boat is kind of in the middle of nowhere so it wasn't easy getting the proper screw. And who couldn't use one of those, am I right? :)

I bought an impeller kit that included new gaskets and 4 brass screws, not sure if they were proper or not. :whistle:

Edited by REW