Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer wheels locked

Rmattajr

Launched the Malibu from my community beach, docked the boat in my slip and went back to bring my trailer home. Its about 500 yards to my house from the launch, not a far drive and everything was fine. Backed it into the driveway and went out on the boat for the day. Came home later to back the trailer into my garage and I could move the trailer in reverse but not forward because a few of the wheels locked up. I haven't tried moving it again but what could be causing this. I don't use the trailer much, my boat is launched in the spring, taken out once or twice in the summer to be cleaned and then taken out and put indoors for the winter.

I was reading somewhere that the drum brakes will go backwards but can lock when going forward if it was a brake issue.

Thoughts?

Appreciate it

Your master cylinder is stuck in the brake position. the shaft is probably rusted and jammed in the housing. I've had this happen on several trailers. Once water gets in the brake fluid, it becomes very corrosive.

Your master cylinder is stuck in the brake position. the shaft is probably rusted and jammed in the housing. I've had this happen on several trailers. Once water gets in the brake fluid, it becomes very corrosive.

If that was the case wouldn't it be locked in going backwards too? The OP said he can move backward but not forward.

But when going in reverse the solenoid is working allowing the brakes to release. So I think the plunger is probably stuck in.

But when going in reverse the solenoid is working allowing the brakes to release. So I think the plunger is probably stuck in.

Oh got ya, that make sense.

Thanks, so do i need to pull the tired off and check the brakes?

If you have drum brakes, you'd probably be able to back it up anyway. Disc brakes, not so much.

It's easy to check. Crack one of the bleeder ports on the wheel cylinders and see if it releases the brakes. You could also have bad wheel cylinders and they are jammed as well. But I would bet it is your master.

Jacked up the trailer last night, all the wheels turn forward now. Could it be that the brakes are a bit rusted since i barely use the trailer and when they got wet caused them to stick? If so should i spray some sort of brake cleaner in there?

• 2 years later...

Just wanted to close this out if anyone is experiencing the same issue but redid the bearings on the trailer and the brakes and noticed that the issue i was having above was the wheel cylinder in the drum was seized and just about fully extended causing the brake to lock up. I was driving the boat back from the lake one afternoon and the wheel started to smoke from the brake heat and the grease boiled out, fun times. Installed the new cylinder and the surge brakes work like new. hope this helps anyone else in the same situation.