Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone blacked out factory trailer rims?

Ghaynie18

I'm to cheap go by new wheel for my trailer so I am thinking of plasti dipping them black. Anyone does this? Any tips? They are the chrome bullet hole rims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Videos make it look pretty easy. Please report back with pics when done. I have been considering the same project.

me too. get back to me on cost and leg work to get it done please.

I would just shoot your wheels with a nice enamel color of choice. I used plasti dip on my tower with last boat. I ended up peeling it off and shooting with enamel. Plasti dip does not have a very good durability rating. Definitely not as good as enamel paint. You can find some very nice wheel colors at your local auto store. Infact they have some paints specifically now for wheel applications. If your going to go through all the work to paint your wheels just do it right the first time. I don't think you would be happy with plasti dip for long term durability.

Edited by Fman

I plasti dipped mine beginning of last season. Need to find a pic to show but it looked great. All black with chrome lug nuts. The only problems I have had are when I had a blowout, some of the dip around the edge of the rim peeled. First tire I sprayed I tried to tape around the tire itself which of course you cannot stick tape to. I realized though you do not need to even cover the tire. Any overspray on the rubber will separate and peel off first couple of rotations.

Thik I did three coats of black and one clear coat.

I plasti dipped mine beginning of last season. Need to find a pic to show but it looked great. All black with chrome lug nuts. The only problems I have had are when I had a blowout, some of the dip around the edge of the rim peeled. First tire I sprayed I tried to tape around the tire itself which of course you cannot stick tape to. I realized though you do not need to even cover the tire. Any overspray on the rubber will separate and peel off first couple of rotations.

Thik I did three coats of black and one clear coat.

an old deck of cards will work if spraying an enamel. Curious what type of clear you used over plasti dip?

Plasti-dip is not a permanent solution. It is very soft and is ok for some things but I would use a good quality base clear on your wheels. The parts store paint that Fman mentioned can be good and the clearcoats look good for a rattle can.

I did mine with some epoxy paint from lowes. I think it's actually for appliances, dries very hard and extremely scratch resistant. Rustoleum appliance epoxy. Cheap and easy.

• Like 1