Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New G3 Tower Mirror Option

bunji169

I just got my new G3 mirror Arm from Horacio at NiceRack. It blows away the OEM mirror arm from Sampson. Instead of hinging right to left and tightening with the plastic handle, the BuceRack mirror arm hinges up and down and has an easy to use quick release button. Far superior design. I gave a little feedback to Horacio to add another stop point so it can lock just below the slide bimini even when bimini is in stowed position. This is the major issue with the Malibu/Sampson arm. These are still in the production stage. I will let everyone know when they are ready for shipping. Maybe we can coordinate a group buy or something if anyone would be interested. I'll check with Admin if we get to that point.

Here are some pics:

post-9687-14312855524743_thumb.jpg

Surfin USA [emoji570][emoji475]

The first pic, I had to slide bimini out about 25% to get mirror to lock. Still plenty of strap left to secure bimini to tower. This is what Horacio is working on correcting so it can be deployed with bimini 100% stowed.

MSRP is about $539 with mirror I believe. As soon as production is finished I'm sure the price can be negotiated down a little if enough people are interested. I'll let everyone know as soon as I hear. Then maybe we can coordinate with admin for Group Buy or something.

Edited by bunji169

Seems pretty solid so far. He's still working on the minor adjustment so it can be used while bimini is 100% stowed.

It's really not an issue persay. Just a suggestion to the Mfg of a slight improvement which they are working on. When the bimini is 100% stowed, you can't quite click the mirror into position. It hits the bimini. If the Bimini is slid out just a little, it clicks into place just fine. I suggested to the Mfg that they either change or add another stop point for mirror arm right where it gets to the stowed Bimini.

This really only applies if you are using boat while Bimini is stowed. Otherwise it's s non issue all around. The mirror arm is awesome. I really like it compared to the Sampson version Malibu uses. It had that plastic handle that would always break and it swung side to side instead of up and down.

Edited by bunji169

It's really not an issue persay. Just a suggestion to the Mfg of a slight improvement which they are working on. When the bimini is 100% stowed, you can't quite click the mirror into position. It hits the bimini. If the Bimini is slid out just a little, it clicks into place just fine. I suggested to the Mfg that they either change or add another stop point for mirror arm right where it gets to the stowed Bimini.

This really only applies if you are using boat while Bimini is stowed. Otherwise it's s non issue all around. The mirror arm is awesome. I really like it compared to the Sampson version Malibu uses. It had that plastic handle that would always break and it swung side to side instead of up and down.

Sounds like it is just with the slider. The GL stows differently and is not in the way of the mirror at all when stowed. I like the GL because of the way it stows and the quick connects. but looks like a good option to have if you like the slider

Kevin, what would happen if you had to lower your tower down like I do? Would it still work or would the entire mirror bracket have to come off?

20150520_145831_zpszsqxykxi.jpg

I put my tower down when I was running wires and the mirror was not in the way.

• 1 month later...

@bunji169 - I am considering the NiceRack mirror arm, but am completely torn between it and the windshield mount.

Would it be any trouble to post up some more pics of yours?

I'm curious for a view farther away from the mirror so I can see how high up it sits above the windshield. I am concerned I'll be craning to look up and/or hitting it with my head when getting in and out of the seat.

I've never had a windshield mount and have always had tower arms on my boats, so I am really torn which route to go.

Thanks!

Edited by klewislx

Any update on this? Had the Axis tower mount on my old boat, thought I'd go with a windshield mount this time.......and now realize I don't want to do that as it seems that it will obstruct my view (not installed, yet). Seems the factory one isn't too well liked. Ready to buy, would love it a group purchase can happen. I assume a G3 and G3.2 will interchange?

What pics would you like? And yes, G3 and G3.2 are same 3" tube.

Would love to see a side view that shows height above the windshield and distance from driver. Trying to figure out how far up I will have to look to see it compared to a windshield mount and if I will hit my head on it getting in and out of the seat. Thx!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
On 5/20/2015 at 2:13 PM, bunji169 said:

@bunji169

I am considering purchasing a mirror arm for my '18 VLX (G3.5 tower). Now that you've used the nice-rack version for a couple of years, would you mind weighing in on how it has compared to the OEM standard? Given there doesn't seem to be a ton of nice-rack users (and reviews) I'd sincerely appreciate your point of view. 

Thanks in advance!