Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone had a cover made that goes over tower, swim step and lower hull?

WaBackcountry

I believe it would be called a mooring. I may end up leaving boat outside this summer. It wont be in water but will get some direct sunlight throughout the day. I would like a cover that covers side of boat, tower and swim step. One reason i like the tower covered is theft deterrent for racks and speakers. Not that the tower will stop it but because if they are out of sight out mind.

Anyone have a covered like this made? How did it work out?

Yea, their around. Usually by guys in places like SoCal or Texas & to protect from the intense sun. Issy doesn't get anything near that. All the years & boats I lived around Sammamish, I never had any amount of sun damage till I moved east of the mountains.

I like the out of sight, out of mind philosophy too. I run the Exile quick release speakers though, and stash them under the cover. Hopefully it will work for you too.

I believe it would be called a mooring. I may end up leaving boat outside this summer. It wont be in water but will get some direct sunlight throughout the day. I would like a cover that covers side of boat, tower and swim step. One reason i like the tower covered is theft deterrent for racks and speakers. Not that the tower will stop it but because if they are out of sight out mind.

Anyone have a covered like this made? How did it work out?

I had Cory from Evolution Covers make me a separate swim platform cover. Might want to inquire about that.

Yes, I did a custom cover that goes over the tower. O choose to have the cover just go below the rub rail as my boat is always covered or in the garage.

I bought this cover primarily to keep the boat and tower and bimini clean and to keep spiders out. During the summer I keep my boat on a lift at a marina.

I am very happy with the cover for the following reasons: It definitely keeps the boat cleaner and spider free. Bimini and tower are protected and clean and people cant see my speakers etc... I no longer have to deal with those poles when my boat is not under cover during rain. The tower acts as the "pole" and no water pools on the cover anywhere! Another benefit, when I realized that I left something on the boat, like my keys, There is an easy to open side entrance to get in my cockpit without removing or loosening the cover. I can also go work on the boat without removing the cover. I also went with a slightly lighter weight fabric that is easier to put on the boat and fold up to store when not in use.

I debated doing this for a couple of years and I am very glad I made the jump.

• Like 1

I've been thinking about a full cover myself. Have thought about maybe just buying a caravan cover of ebay like this

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Heavy-Duty-20-22-ft-4-Layer-Caravan-Campervan-Cover-UV-Waterproof-Carry-bag-/271520231848?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3f37ddf1a8

Anyone used anything like this for this purpose. My boat is stored undercover in an open fronted shed with fitted cover. Mainly just want a full cover to keep the dust etc. from accumulating over the winter.

Local canvas shop made one of these for my buddy's tige that he keeps on a hydrologic lift in a common area slip - It hooks to the bow eye on his, un-rolls up and over tower including his 4 Rev10's and form fits around his swim platform as well. He paid the guy 400 and they made it custom for him, works like a champ and seriously keeps his boat clean, dry, and protected from sun fade. Might be worth your time to make a few calls to some local shops and see what they say.

Local canvas shop made one of these for my buddy's tige that he keeps on a hydrologic lift in a common area slip - It hooks to the bow eye on his, un-rolls up and over tower including his 4 Rev10's and form fits around his swim platform as well. He paid the guy 400 and they made it custom for him, works like a champ and seriously keeps his boat clean, dry, and protected from sun fade. Might be worth your time to make a few calls to some local shops and see what they say.

$400 is an absolute steal. A friend of mine has an over the tower "tent" cover for his 247 that's pretty sweet, but it cost north of $2k if memory serves. It does have some zippered access doors and other cool features but it wasn't cheap.

Bammabonners had a cover made that's just what you are asking for, but it looks like he deleted the pics: http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/37097-check-out-my-new-cover-thank-you-skiboatcoverscom/

$400 is an absolute steal. A friend of mine has an over the tower "tent" cover for his 247 that's pretty sweet, but it cost north of $2k if memory serves. It does have some zippered access doors and other cool features but it wasn't cheap.

I checked with my buddy, I mis-stated, he said it was $550. Still far less then $2k though! The same shop has done patch work for skyskier on here, and charged 10 or 15 dollars for what others would have been 50-100 for. So quality work at honest/affordable prices at a local small town shop.

• 2 weeks later...

[email protected]. Mike Taylor is owner and super to work with. He made a full cover for my 2012 LSV 23'. Sunbrella fabric. $1k. Works great. As stated above, no spiders, rain marks, and keeps geese, ducks, etc off my platform. I like the idea of an access panel. I might have to see if that can be retrofitted.