Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is it time for a new binding?

4skinuts

I went for my first slalom ski run of the year last week. On my first cut, I went out the front. I think I caught some floating algae or moss on my rudder, the ski slowed abruptly and I tumbled. I twisted my ankle before the ski came off. The result... after seeing the MRI results the Dr. walked in and said "Your ankle has suffered great trauma." Dislocated peroneal tendon, two bone chips on the top of the foot, and a ligament was split. Surgery is scheduled for this week. The good news. He thinks I will be able to ski again before summer is over.

I ski on an HO Syndicate with Animal binding and rear toe plate. I have tried double boots; but, can't ski with that second boot. I love the Animal boot. I had used an Animal for years without any injury. I think this is my third Animal. When in ski shape, I run 28' off at 34 mph fairly regularly. 5 at 32' off is my PB. Is there another ski boot that is more safe? Should I continue with the boot that I love; but, not tighten as tightly or continue what I have been doing since I had never had a problem until now? What do you suggest?

Get into rehab and see how things go before making any real decisions. Injuries happen in all sports, I'm going to say go with what you like. but again wait to see how the ankle responds to rehab and surgery. Talk to your physical terrorist as well on what they recommend to avoid further injury.

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV

I used Animals for years. I am guessing that it did not release and that is why you are questioning it? I can understand wanting a new binding for that reason. The new bindings do release quite well and are better input to the ski than the Animal IMO. I would look at upgrading just to get a better binding. Something like a use Strada or Vapor boot from Radar. I didn't like the feel of the new HO bindings two years ago when I was shopping. I hear their new stuff is nice though.

Get into rehab and see how things go before making any real decisions. Injuries happen in all sports, I'm going to say go with what you like. but again wait to see how the ankle responds to rehab and surgery. Talk to your physical terrorist as well on what they recommend to avoid further injury.

Heal before getting new boots. But did the boots cause the injury or the fall? I'm thinking the boots are fine.

I used Animals for years. I am guessing that it did not release and that is why you are questioning it? I can understand wanting a new binding for that reason. The new bindings do release quite well and are better input to the ski than the Animal IMO. I would look at upgrading just to get a better binding. Something like a use Strada or Vapor boot from Radar. I didn't like the feel of the new HO bindings two years ago when I was shopping. I hear their new stuff is nice though.

All of the above is good advice. I second the Radar boots. I was apprehensive about them, but after a few sets realized that it was a great decision. I too was coming off of Animals.