Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Plant Tour With Fellow Crew Members-Awesome!

Birm

Had a great plant tour this morning with Andy, Pete and Matt. It is pretty cool seeing these awesome machines put together.

When we go to the spray booth and peeked in to see my boat, it was not the color scheme that I had picked. Cry.gif The boat being sprayed was the progressive scheme with the wide stripes above and below the main hull color. I had ordered the standard classic with thin grey striping. IMO the large grey striping does not look that good when you go with a darker main. Anyway's, we checked P.O. numbers, and Jorge at Malibu called my dealer. To make a long story short, my dealer called me on the way home from Merced. They did indeed mess up my order, and the boat I saw was my boat. Cry.gifCry.gif To give the dealer credit, they recognize their error, and are scrambling to try to find a resolution. Unfortunately my dealer does not have any more build date quotas. The Malibu factory rep is trying to find another dealer that will give up a production slot to my dealer. I won't find out if this is even an option until tomorrow. Needless to say this has put a serious damper on things. Best case scenario I could get a new spray date in the next couple of weeks. That makes Nor Cal WOW extremely unilikely. Also, it put's us very close to the 2007 models. Do I wait, do I get the colors that I don't want on the boat they are building now. What a bummer.

No way you're going to have it by WOW - so make arangements for that... and don't worry - there are always folks that come boat-less... and it works out great for both parties

Sorry about the mix-up those things are really frustrating!!! Good Luck!

That is scary. My boat is getting sprayed Thursday.

Wouldn't have known until delivery or the factory sent pics...except that I took the tour today Shocking.gif

I would not go color blind unless it was the right price. The boat is a big investment and it should be exactly what you want.... since you custom ordered it. Good Luck! KC

Had a great plant tour this morning with Andy, Pete and Matt. It is pretty cool seeing these awesome machines put together.

When we go to the spray booth and peeked in to see my boat, it was not the color scheme that I had picked. Cry.gif The boat being sprayed was the progressive scheme with the wide stripes above and below the main hull color. I had ordered the standard classic with thin grey striping. IMO the large grey striping does not look that good when you go with a darker main. Anyway's, we checked P.O. numbers, and Jorge at Malibu called my dealer. To make a long story short, my dealer called me on the way home from Merced. They did indeed mess up my order, and the boat I saw was my boat. Cry.gifCry.gif To give the dealer credit, they recognize their error, and are scrambling to try to find a resolution. Unfortunately my dealer does not have any more build date quotas. The Malibu factory rep is trying to find another dealer that will give up a production slot to my dealer. I won't find out if this is even an option until tomorrow. Needless to say this has put a serious damper on things. Best case scenario I could get a new spray date in the next couple of weeks. That makes Nor Cal WOW extremely unilikely. Also, it put's us very close to the 2007 models. Do I wait, do I get the colors that I don't want on the boat they are building now. What a bummer.

WOW, that sucks. Lucky you caught it. I hope you get a production date soon. The 2007's are going to be catalytic converter models and said to be already a PITA Crazy.gif

The 2007's are going to be catalytic converter models and said to be already a PITA Crazy.gif

Man, if that's true, my '02 Sunsetter LXi just becomes more valuable to me (and I bet others) every year that goes by!

As to the OP...it's good you caught it now...that would be pretty bad, and you'd be less likely to argue, if the boat showed up wrong at the dealership.

ouch, that sux ... its bad enough when you get it pre scratched, broken glove box, cracked dash, cover for illusion tower when you have a titan 3... but wrong color scheme ... that really sux... Mad.gif

...GL

Bummer. How soon do you have to make a decision?

Don't know. I will have more info tomorrow. I just want to be the "no drama guy", and get my boat the way I picked it. :) I know mistakes happen, but man, sometimes doesn't it seem like you get more of those mistakes than you deserve?

Bummer. How soon do you have to make a decision?

Don't know. I will have more info tomorrow. I just want to be the "no drama guy", and get my boat the way I picked it. :) I know mistakes happen, but man, sometimes doesn't it seem like you get more of those mistakes than you deserve?

Yeah, I know what you mean. I hope they work things out. I know Malibu will do whatever they can for you.

Birm. It was really good meeting you today. I had a blast with you guys on the tour - even though I could hardly hear Jorge half the time.

Sorry man. That's a serious bummer. Again, you custom ordered this boat, unless they reeeeally make it financially worth your while, I'd wait and get 'your' boat. Otherwise you'll always look at it and think it's not right.

Ultimate / Cope has a ton of boats in their 'back lot'. I'd sit down with the manager of your local dealership and have him give you the details of every boat on every lot in every one of their Malibu dealerships - there's at least 5. Having them put together this info should NOT be a problem based on what they've about to put you through. I'd highly stress the fact that you already have vacation plans that INCLUDE a boat.

You never know, they may have one with a color scheme you hadn't thought about, and it suits you. Maybe even get a few more extras thrown in for the trouble...

Good luck, keep us posted.

Ultimate / Cope has a ton of boats in their 'back lot'. I'd sit down with the manager of your local dealership and have him give you the details of every boat on every lot in every one of their Malibu dealerships - there's at least 5. Having them put together this info should NOT be a problem based on what they've about to put you through. I'd highly stress the fact that you already have vacation plans that INCLUDE a boat.

That's a great idea. As chathamsolutions also pointed out, you very well could find a better choice of colors that you fall in love with. It's cool to be the "nice guy" and try to put on a happy face throughout but your dealer should accomodate you completely due to their mistake. Good luck.

Edited by sheeprides

Ugh... I kinda had this bad feeling that was going to be the case. You might want to find out who your dealer rep is and have a chat with him about this as well. He's probably already working on finding you a build slot but it couldn't hurt to establish a rapport with him.

Aside from the paint mixup, it was great meeting everyone! I had an awesome time at the plant and fun helping Pete disassemble Andy's trailer braking system. Lunch was great too despite the broken down truck leaving Mark craving his onion rings and Pete hankerin' for a buffalo chicken sammy. :)

Hey, I have an idea! Andy currently has a boat and no trailer. Tim, you currently have squat, but I'm sure they wouldn't mind giving you your trailer a bit early... see where I'm going with this? Crazy.gif

Edited by UWSkier

Great News! My dealer scrambled, and the factory rep came through in a big way. They were able to get me a new production date with the spray date set for June 19th. Biggrin.gif That only delays things 1 week. I told my dealer that I had a trip planned for the 14th of July, and was really counting on having the boat before then. They stepped up to the plate, and said that they will try to work with the factory to keep things on schedule. Also, my dealer said that they would pick up the boat at the factory if they didn't have a full trailer. What's the fastest anyone has every received a boat...from spray date to delivery? I was told yesterday on the tour that the boat takes approximately 10 days to build + 1 week of Quality Control testing before it is normally ready to ship to the dealer. If thats true, then my boat could be delivered the 13th....Now that it cutting it close. Better not count on that one.

Anyways, after a little hicup, I am pretty stoked....I get the boat, just as I want it.!

Glad to hear it.

Remember, you want them to do a good job. Keep up the pressure, but don't be extreme. It sounds like everyone's coming through for you. I'd much rather have them take an extra week then have to deal with a bunch of little nit pick things for a year.

Great News! My dealer scrambled, and the factory rep came through in a big way. They were able to get me a new production date with the spray date set for June 19th. Biggrin.gif That only delays things 1 week. I told my dealer that I had a trip planned for the 14th of July, and was really counting on having the boat before then. They stepped up to the plate, and said that they will try to work with the factory to keep things on schedule. Also, my dealer said that they would pick up the boat at the factory if they didn't have a full trailer. What's the fastest anyone has every received a boat...from spray date to delivery? I was told yesterday on the tour that the boat takes approximately 10 days to build + 1 week of Quality Control testing before it is normally ready to ship to the dealer. If thats true, then my boat could be delivered the 13th....Now that it cutting it close. Better not count on that one.

Anyways, after a little hicup, I am pretty stoked....I get the boat, just as I want it.!

My Vride spray date was 5-9-05 and we picked it up from the dealer on 5-23-05. The dealer did go down to the factory and pick it up for us as the truck was not full and we had plans for Memorial day last year. So i would believe your dealer. For your info our boat took exactly 7 days from spray date to detailing.

Glad to hear it.

Remember, you want them to do a good job. Keep up the pressure, but don't be extreme. It sounds like everyone's coming through for you. I'd much rather have them take an extra week then have to deal with a bunch of little nit pick things for a year.

Good point,

I don't want them rushing to point where my boat is going out the door 2 hours past closing time on a Friday!

Good news Birm! I knew Malibu would ocme through for you. Had this been MC or anyone else, well lets just say you'ld be SOL. :)

My Vride spray date was 5-9-05 and we picked it up from the dealer on 5-23-05. The dealer did go down to the factory and pick it up for us as the truck was not full and we had plans for Memorial day last year. So i would believe your dealer. For your info our boat took exactly 7 days from spray date to detailing.

Wow, that is quick. Yesterday on the tour, Jorge told us that every boat undergoes quality control testing that takes 1 week.

I may still have a boat in time for NorCal WOW! I called the dealer to see if my boat was still on schedule for spray on Monday. They have been in contact with the factory, and this morning were told that the boat had been bumped up on the schedule and was going to be sprayed today. Yahoo.gif So, if it takes 10 days to build, 5 days of QC, 1 day of delivery (Dealer picks up), and 2 days of dealer prep, then I should have my boat on the 13th. Maybe I'll be doing my dealer water test on Friday the 14th at WOW!

P.S. I have to say, with all this negative talk about a certain dealer, I am quite pleased with how my dealer responded to the mistake that was made on ordering my boat. They have been very attentive to ensuring that I am happy, and have my boat in a timely manner. I am also giving them the benfefit of doubt, as I want to establish the best long term relationship with them possible. :)

P.S. I have to say, with all this negative talk about a certain dealer, I am quite pleased with how my dealer responded to the mistake that was made on ordering my boat. They have been very attentive to ensuring that I am happy, and have my boat in a timely manner. I am also giving them the benfefit of doubt, as I want to establish the best long term relationship with them possible. :)

That's the best route to go.

Give them some rope when things start to fray. The good dealers will take the rope and make the most of it. The bad ones tend to hang themselves.

If your dealer is doing a good job make sure you give them the kudos they deserve. Talk them up every chance you get, here on TheCrew and to all your friends. The best way to ensure your dealer stays a good dealer is to keep them in business :)

Good luck with your boat. There's still a lot of hurdles to go through - I'm sure you'll turn out well.