Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How waterproof is your cover?

I read a few posts about this but thought I'd ask,sorry if it's reduntant.

Unfortunately I have to keep my boat outside. I used to keep a tarp over my sunbrella cover. Recently I recoated it with a gallon of 303 and then also spotted some areas again with aerosol 3M scotch guard. I don't have any pooling and didn't see any water inside when I checked, but I'm wondering if everyone's cover still looks a little saturated during rain or does all the water completely bead up and the cover look dry for the most part except where the water is beading?

post-927-0-62028500-1431125657_thumb.jpg

Edited by cherry ride

I covered mine last summer, and it wasn't saturated at all for the first 2 months. By the end of the summer it was starting to let a bit of water through. This year we are folding the cover as little as possible, as I think stuffing it inside the cover bag was taking a toll on the waterproof barrier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sprayed my 5 years old Evo last fall with 303. Don't have any saturation. It does help if raise the bow as far up as it will go.

There are fabric waterproofing products from 303 that I have used. Best to refresh each spring and as needed through the summer.

I have used the 303 on my shark skin and I still seem to get wet under neathe, but I am starting to think it sweats not so much leaks?

I'm not overly impressed with the 303.

I'm thinking of trying a couple different ones next time.

Like what? I've applied 303 multiple times and it seems awesome at first but doesn't last. Also it's expensive.

Did you use a full gallon at one time? I think 2 light coats would be better.

At first I bought 2 16oz bottles of 303 and lightly coated the whole thing while the tarp was spread out on the driveway. But then I put a tarp on in for 3-4 weeks and never really tested it in rain. Then I redid the interior and started reading posts about the inside not being able to breath with a tarp and trapping moisture, so I decided to get a gallon size of 303 and go over it again before getting rid of the tarp. I tried to apply sparingly but really ended up using almost the whole 128oz.

I've found it on Amazon for cheaper than a local shop. Works great for a year or so. But definitely wears out over time.

Another product I've used is called Aquatite. But I stopped referring others to it after someone had it not work for them. Not sure why because it would waterproof a paper towel for me.

This is 303.

https://youtu.be/y3hNqEmixlc

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

My dad used some sort of Aerosol ScotchGuard waterproofing spray on his pontoon cover last year and it seemed to work great but took a bunch of cans. Time will tell if it is good for more than a year at a time, putting it back in the water for the year on Sunday.

• Like 1

Like what? I've applied 303 multiple times and it seems awesome at first but doesn't last. Also it's expensive.

Camping/hiking section of Bass Pro or an outdoor shop or something similar. They have a lot of waterproofing stuff for canvas tents/tarps/shoes etc.

I'm going to try a couple of things out and see what repels the longest.

The 303 I used worked great for the first week, then after it stayed wet for longer than an hour or two it would saturate. Never quite dripped all the way through though, so I'm not entirely unhappy with it, just looking to see if I can find something better.

That's been my biggest holdup from switching... is making sure I get something that won't stain or discolor it etc.

303 has their hands in a lot of different pockets. That doesn't necessarily mean that it's the best option ever. Doesn't mean it's NOT, but it doesn't mean there's nothing better out there. :)

Are u guys talking about regular 303 protectant or the 303 specifically for rain guard protection? I ask cause I have the factory cover that came w my 08 VTX and I have treated it twice in 4yrs and has worked excellent. I modified mine w extra tie down buckle straps all around and she fits super tight for towing even. Have never had any rain come thru and we been in some bad storms and when we have visited other lakes and left boat at non covered docks in rainstorms and no water came thru. Store it in our barn and cover is not used then but anytime docked overnite or longer tow trips cover is on.

I think two or three light coats was all I used each time, one 32oz bottle I believe each time, has been great.

Are u guys talking about regular 303 protectant or the 303 specifically for rain guard protection?

The fabric guard. If someone is using the "sunscreen for your stuff" for waterproofing, we have a problem.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=sunbrella+303+fabric+guard&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=32503686871&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6384762330553352274&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=t&ref=pd_sl_89pk8lprt_b

• Like 2

I was hoping that's what the discussion was but I was a tech for 20yrs and I've seen people do a lot of stupid things w products that was not the intended use. Just wanted to clarify as I have used the 303 fabric guard on cover, hunting blinds, tents, ect...and it has held up fantastic.

If someone is having issues w it makes me wonder if cover was treated w something else before the 303 rain protectant???? Silicone based products can cause it not to work well per 303 tech bulletin.

I was hoping that's what the discussion was but I was a tech for 20yrs and I've seen people do a lot of stupid things w products that was not the intended use. Just wanted to clarify as I have used the 303 fabric guard on cover, hunting blinds, tents, ect...and it has held up fantastic.

If someone is having issues w it makes me wonder if cover was treated w something else before the 303 rain protectant???? Silicone based products can cause it not to work well per 303 tech bulletin.

Maybe it had just been so long since it had been treated that it just needs a lot more product than anticipated. (previous owner kept the boat indoors, so the cover was probably never treated with anything, as he only used it to keep dust off.)

I can always try another 3 bottles. LOL

• 11 months later...

My factory cover is 10 years old....I used West Marine brand waterproofing with PTEF.  I sprayed it on with a pump sprayer while it was laid in the driveway.  Sprayed until cover looked wet, let it dry then went back and sprayed again until cover looked wet.   I did this on my BU cover and my pontoon cover.  Pontoon cover was done last year in June as well as BU cover.   BU sits under roof of boathouse but does get some moisture.  I can see where the moisture beads up on BU cover.   Pontoon cover still beads and it sits outside in the rain all of the time.   I really think what someone else said above is the key....multiple light coats.   I considered a light coat enough to change the contrast of the cover so it looked wet, not sopping wet.

5 hours ago, Raimie said:

@ibelonginprison Did you ever try anything besides the 303?

Actually - no. I didn't. After the second bottle it seemed to work alright.

The cover LOOKED like it was soaking it in after a long time in the rain, but it never made it through to the other side. It always stayed dry on the under side of the canvas and the interior stayed dry.
I did mean to try some other stuff... maybe I'll order some sample canvas and a few sample water repellent products and see what happens this summer.