Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone near their boat to take a quick measurement?

Ndawg12

Anyone with the regular black exhaust ports and rubber flappers? I could really use the exact inside diameter of the outer ring. Thinking it's 4 or possibly 4 1/8.....?

Thanks!!

post-8316-0-85155900-1431112125_thumb.jp

i've got 5.075" id on the protruding outer ridge. judging from your pix this is the number you are looking for.

the hole/port for exhaust is about 3.6". i could not get the calipers far enough into that outer ridge to call this measurement accurate.

Edited by tvano
  • Like 3

i've got 5.075" id on the protruding outer ridge. judging from your pix this is the number you are looking for.

the hole/port for exhaust is about 3.6". i could not get the calipers far enough into that outer ridge to call this measurement accurate.

super awesome, thank you very much!!

super awesome, thank you very much!!

I'd say so! Six minute response time and requested measurement down to 1/1000th of an inch. This site, and tvano in particular in this case, rocks!

• Like 3

Tvanos measurement was dead on and the project is ahead of schedule, thanks again!

Project? pics, details,

Peace of mind 2nd measurement backs up tvano. However, I'd say it was closer to 5.081". Just sayin'.

Huh. My two are 5.050" and 5.045".

Why did I even.... 2 1/4 teed into 3"

Neat idea for a home built is this a prototype and you're going to get someone with a die bender to bend the final product? The exhaust kinker that they used for those bends ads restriction below your 2 1/4 initial size.

A 90 made with a proper bender looks like this:

hed-12016_w.jpg

Edited by oldjeep

I realize that and if I see a significant performance loss I may look into it or rip it off and say "well that was fun". I have $40 into the project. I figure "the real system" tees into 2.5"...? My 2 kinks should still allow more flow than that.

I was just making an observation vs. the "real" thing, which uses 3" tubing throughout IIRC.

Carry on! I want to see the finished result! Are you going to pinch the downpipe like the other guys do?

I was just making an observation vs. the "real" thing, which uses 3" tubing throughout IIRC.

Carry on! I want to see the finished result! Are you going to pinch the downpipe like the other guys do?

I asked that question a while back and got crickets... it sure doesn't look like 3" all around but if it is then I'm way off....

• 2 weeks later...

I had the hose clamps as tight as I could comfortably get them before I stripped them And the down pipe turned up about 30 degrees. Do you think I can run screws through the hose and into the pipe to prevent this? Any other options?

20150520_180827_zps5mtqw2xa.jpg

20150520_180837_zpskeunllxy.jpg

Edited by Ndawg12

pretty sure the other guy's fix was the drill hole and screw like you are suggesting. I couldn't get my old one tight enough without the t bar clamps (it would fall off of exhaust tip at transom).

How'd it work? rooster? Any impact on wave?

pretty sure the other guy's fix was the drill hole and screw like you are suggesting. I couldn't get my old one tight enough without the t bar clamps (it would fall off of exhaust tip at transom).

How'd it work? rooster? Any impact on wave?

It was awesomely quiet for the first 5 minutes or so but when I sped up to around 20 for the first time I think is when it moved. Appears there's a tiny bit of spray as I idled up but I doubt it will affect the wave. It definitely has potential. I may paint it this season and run it, then take it off and have our welders at work follow the template with all 3" stainless on rainy days this winter.