Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

differences in surf waves

racer808

Just how much of a difference in the surf wave is there between an 06-08 vlx hull, a centurion avalanche, tige rzr's? I have the itch & possible permission to do it if we find the right boat. Surfing is the priority

One thing you will face here is the bias that centurions, tiges are better surf boats then a malibu. And maybe they are....but largely that bias comes from the fact that those boats have been marketed as "surf" boats imho. Shawndoggy and I have never quite seen eye to eye here.

If freeboard is what your after ( I suspect in Shawns case) then maybe they are better.....is the wave better though??????

Just how much of a difference in the surf wave is there between an 06-08 vlx hull, a centurion avalanche, tige rzr's? I have the itch & possible permission to do it if we find the right boat. Surfing is the priority

The Avalanche and RZR's in those years are just like all the rest of the boats when it comes to surf wake. Newer Avalanche and RZR's are surf machines but you have zero storage.

Malibu is far superior in quality.

I have owned two Avalanches prior to buying my LSV. The surf wave if good if you completely slam it, like 1100 in the locker, and another 11 surf sack on the seat along with the factory mid tanks full. Your rub rail will be siting in or close to the water. For wakeboarding, same thing just not the surf sac. To get that wake clean it needs a s*** ton of weight. Overall a great boat, just got tired of all the filling and emptying of sacs.

Good luck.

Okay thats what I wanted to hear, I have to slam mine to get a good wave & that is what I am trying to get away from. Would an 08 vlx require less weight or just handle all that weight better?

I had an 06 Centurion Lightning (think baby avalanche) that had no surf wake, even when slammed. I have a friend who has a 06 Tige 22i, he weights his with 2000k ballast and the wave is amazing. Our new 2015 LSV with lots of weight + surfgate thus far is incredible. I've ridden enzo's and recently the new Supra SA550, both are beasts in the surf department as well.

At the end of the day, surf wake without weight = non reality from my experience.

Okay thats what I wanted to hear, I have to slam mine to get a good wave & that is what I am trying to get away from. Would an 08 vlx require less weight or just handle all that weight better?

Creating a good surf wave is all about digging the biggest hole in the water possible. To dig that hole you need weight to displace the hull, any hull.

• Like 1

I got to test a new ENZO a month or two ago. Very nice wave, but not really any better or worse than my MXZ. Wakegirl nailed it, there is no replacement for displacement....

No no, I understand I need weight. I slam mine currently. Let me rephrase, which boat would be better in semi choppy water slammed. Which has a longer pocket cause mine is fairly short to play in.

One thing you will face here is the bias that centurions, tiges are better surf boats then a malibu. And maybe they are....but largely that bias comes from the fact that those boats have been marketed as "surf" boats imho. Shawndoggy and I have never quite seen eye to eye here.

If freeboard is what your after ( I suspect in Shawns case) then maybe they are better.....is the wave better though??????

Avys don't really have that much freeboard. But they do have a v hull and will ride better in chop. THAT I hope we can see eye to eye on. Racer's v23 wake hull is probably the worst rough water vdrive malibu ever made. In conditions that you can go 11 mph max with water splashing over the windshield in an SV23 boat, you can go 18-22 in a deeper V with a lot more comfort.

For surfing, a v hull WILL make a better listed wave. The Avys don't have a ton of freeboard though and they will be slammed to make a great wave (just like any low freeboard boat will be).

So for the OP it comes to priorities. Freeboard, rough water ride, budget. 05-08 vlx probably has equal freeboard to avy (and much more than v23). That boat feels HUGE compared to SV23.

I personally would steer clear of the rzr because the tige pickles are really low in the nose. would be hard to keep from dunking esp. in choppy conditions.

I've mentioned before and will again that in our MB we never ever even once took water over the bow, even after running an integrated bow sack and 150 in lead up there (we did take water over the bow in the SV23 vride often). If you are patient and could get your budget to mid-40s, the 2011 and later MB 23'er is the best bang for the buck surf boat IMHO. Yes the interiors are shallower. It's something you notice for a day or two on the water and then it never makes a difference.

Compared to the v23 ANY boat is going to handle like a pig, burn more gas, and be harder to tow.

Edited by shawndoggy
  • Like 1

What about the malibu LSV? Found a sweet looking one in the 40's! Trying not to get ahead of myself, can only move foward if i sell my boat for what I want which will be difficult for not impossible for how much local boats are & that everything but the motor is now new

racer, we found our priority was surfing as well and ended up going Enzo. Only due to a few reasons but mainly, deep v ride quality and that our local dealer is a Centurion dealer. I was amazed at the ride quality difference going from our '02 VLX to the Enzo, I know not a apple to apple comparison, but with the Switchblade and the Enzo sac (1400ish lbs) the surf wave is sweet. I will say the sacrifice is the handling (21ft to 23ft) is slower when turning, can't really say the quality is less in the Centurion, but again I had an older Bu.

racer, we found our priority was surfing as well and ended up going Enzo. Only due to a few reasons but mainly, deep v ride quality and that our local dealer is a Centurion dealer. I was amazed at the ride quality difference going from our '02 VLX to the Enzo, I know not a apple to apple comparison, but with the Switchblade and the Enzo sac (1400ish lbs) the surf wave is sweet. I will say the sacrifice is the handling (21ft to 23ft) is slower when turning, can't really say the quality is less in the Centurion, but again I had an older Bu.

Which model enzo and year? Does it have a great surf wave on both sides?

racer,

If you ever want a pull behind my 11 RZR to check it out, let me know..... would be happy to oblige.

I would 100% love to take you up on that!

Sounds good. As soon as this rain stops we'll set it up!

Sweet, sounds good. As much as I want it to stop so I can get the boat ready, I have a reason to stay indoors & finish sheet rocking the garage addition.

Which model enzo and year? Does it have a great surf wave on both sides?

'06 Enzo SV230

I honestly can't speak for the goofy wave as no one in our crew rides the darkside :)

'06 Enzo SV230

I honestly can't speak for the goofy wave as no one in our crew rides the darkside :)

How do you like the switchblade? Also, is the motor noise as loud as I have heard? Never been in a Centurion but might need to be considering one if I go used.

My good riding buddy had a 2013 SV233 that I ride behind a lot, and it's not loud at all. Quieter than my LSV I would guess. He's trying to sell it to get a Malibu.

Switchblade is cool. I don't know if I would've dropped the $4k to put it on if it didn't already have it, but it surely makes a difference. Ours does have Sideswipe exhaust. Some hate it, some love it, to me it's kinda reminiscent of my '68 Camaro with headers. Somewhat loud, but not obnoxious. I do love the ability to switch the exhaust to the opposite side when surfing.

sorry to hijack your thread racer808!

back to the regularly scheduled program...