Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Debating between two boats, 2010 a22 vs 2004 xlv

Kmart25

Hey everyone,

Brand new here and looking for some advice on two boats locally for sale.

The first is a 2010 axis a22 for 41000. 240 hours, kept in great shape, and fully loaded. Has tons of extra ballast too.

The other boat I like is a very well kept 2004 malibu xlv. It is also fully loaded as far as I can tell. 350 hours and the price is 29000

I will be wake boardkng and surfing primarily. The fiancé is more into lounging which I know the Malibu is better for. im leaning more towards the Malibu but wanted some opinions on here before pulling the trigger. I test drove the axis and going on the Malibu tomorrow.

Thanks!!

Short answer, axis. Long answer, we need more info! Since you didn't mention skiing, I would go Axis for a few reasons. 1) surf wave. While I don't have anytime in an a22, I have a few hundred hours on the malibu hull you're looking at. It lacks freeboard for the amount of weight it needs to put out a good surf wake. Even then it could use more. Depending on driver experience and typical water conditions, you may not be comfortable with the amount of weight you need to run. 2) the axis should have more room when it comes to lounging. That is part of the point of the pickle fork afterall. I guess it depends where your cfo enjoys spending her time, in the bow or on the rear deck. 3) either boat should put out a solid wakeboard wake (not sure of your skill level), you can always add a little ballast as needed. One thing I love about my vlx is I can pull my wife and beginners at 18 mph and it puts out a nice, clean, mellow wake. When I increase speed and add ballast, it gets plenty of ramp for me to do something stupid.

Bottom line is they are both great boats imo. That year vlx is a great crossover boat, but you will sacrifice surf potential.

Hey thanks for the reply pnwrider. I should mention that I'm decent on a wakeboard. I can wake to wake but I'm not throwing spins or flips by any means. As far as surfing I'm really new to it. I have only done it twice now and it was a blast. I dont need a monster wave by any means but I do want to be able to surf a decent pocket to move around in.

Is the axis wave really worth the big price difference? its about a 12000 difference and those wicked wake makers for malibu/axis appear to put up nice waves. Personally I like the look of a axis better but my girlfriend isn't a fan of pickles. I think you either love them or hate them... Any idea if the axis is going to hold its value better? I see myself upgrading in 5-10 years.

I have the same hull as the 04. If you want to surf, get a different boat. I run a ton of weight, use my home made surf gate & it's fun, the wave is big but its nothing like the other waves you see other boats putting out. Plus, the water has to be glass for us to surf due to the low freeboard & amount of weight. I am starting to shop other boats if I can get what I want out of my boat.

I had an '04 VLX that I sold and upgraded to an Axis simply because of the surf wave. You can get a decent surf wave out of the VLX but you need to tinker quite a bit to do so. I can't find the threads that I compiled when I was looking at my options with the VLX. I am pretty sure -BS- had his V-Ride (same hull) dialed in but can't find the specific thread I had. If I come across it I will post it here.

Where are you from? Any reason you aren't searching for other boats? You could get into the next generation hull VLX for low $40's and that would get you into a very versatile boat.

BlknYlwT22 - did BS have an older Vride? I know he has the next gen currently.

Where are you from? Any reason you aren't searching for other boats? You could get into the next generation hull VLX for low $40's and that would get you into a very versatile boat.

BlknYlwT22 - did BS have an older Vride? I know he has the next gen currently.

He did have an '07 at one point. I am still digging for the thread

Hey

Welcome to the Crew! I have an 06 Vride...same boat as the 04 you are looking at. I will echo everything

Pnw said. I love my boat and it does everything I need at this point. I am not a big surfer though. While I enjoy it, I do not enjoy the time it takes to load all the extra bags and then driving a heavily weighted/listed boat. It is very easy to take on water over the front if you aren't paying attention and if you don't know what you are doing. Not trying to scare you, never came close to swamping my boat...but you need to pay attention. We probably surf 2-3 times a year. I would probably be more inclined to surf more if I had one of the newer/larger boats that made the whole set-up easier. I have never been in an Axis but from what I read, no one doubts the wakeboard wake that it can throw.

As far as is it worth the price difference...? I think you are doing the right thing by driving them both.

My guess is you will know after that whether it is worth the extra to you or not. I would think that the Axis will probably depreciate more because it is newer and the Vlx has probably already dropped to where it will be a slower loss. You might be able to pick up the Vlx and get rid of it in a few years with minimal loss. Good luck and hope you are in a boat soon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW3vwlkpohI

So this guy can do a spin and looks like he is having fun. Maybe you guys that say you can't surf behind a old VLX aren't very good surf's to start.

A question for you guys. Can you go wake to wake surfing and can you do spins behind your newer boat?

I can not do spins or wake to wake behind my boat or my friends 2015 LSV.

Here's the one Lance posted for his '05 Vride http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/42898-05-vride-surf-set-up-best-it-gets-for-this-hull-imho/

One of -BS-s threads http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/17618-surfing-set-up/?hl=%2Bsurfing+%2B2004+%2Bwakesetter#entry272754

These threads are both about vRides but the vRide hull (05-08) is the same as the 04 you are looking at.

Edited by BlknYlwT22

I'm in seattle and local boat listing have been few and far between on the 30-40 price range which is where I'm at. I'm hesitant on the axis because that's the top end of my price range. I wanted to be out the door for no more than 44 and even though the axis is 45 (after tax)it's still just outside my high end. Obviously I will put the extra down if it's really worth it. I guess I'll know today when I test drive/see the malibu.

I haven't seen a 05 or newer malibu around here for less than 40. There is a similar boat to that 2008 vlx and they want like 55000. I might as well buy a new axis at that point in my opinion.

The boat will probably be used something like 50% wakeboard 20 wake surf 20 to lounge and 10 to pull kids around on a tube.

I'm super hung up about the axis though. There are not any in seattle or Portland for that used. This one isn't even posted online it's just a local dealer called me and said they have someone buying a new boat. Also a reason I like the axis, it was bought and services it's whole life at the dealer and was on a lift on lake sammamish.(not a scratch on the boat) I also liked that it was loaded with ballast but that was also a downside because my girlfriend of course "there is no storage." 800lb sacks in each locker, then he said like 800 in the middle and 1200 in the bow. I don't remember the exact numbers but there was about two seats with storage space. And of course the dude put the biggest sub ever in the passenger compartment lol. Super rad boat, and I'm only 28 so loud, flashy, and a big wake/surf is what I want but I deffintley see kids in the next five years and need to consider the family side of boat buying too.

Are neither of these boats that great of a deal? I checked nada guide and the axis is below and the Malibu is a little over average retail.

Really appreciating the feedback fuys

I guess the "deal" thing depends on your geographic location. I wouldn't buy something if it didn't get me excited though. Patience is key when used boat shopping.

Yeah I'm pretty sure boats in Seattle are at premium right now. We have a high cost of living, and it's been a crazy nice spring. Just take a look around on seattle Craigslist and boat trader. There has been nothing. I looked at a x star and x30. Both were beat to absolute crap. Axis was immaculate and I guess I'll see how the Malibu is today and report back. I'm tempted to wait to next fall when boats plummet but it's goig to be a really nice summer. I haven't had a boat since my parents sold ours three years ago, and I just want to cry everytime sitting on the beach. (Not really)

I'm torn because the axis could be the right boat but there is seriously not much locally to compare it too and that's my issue with just pulling the trigger...

One thing I've learned... Finding the right boat is harder than I thought it was going to be.

I'm in seattle and local boat listing have been few and far between on the 30-40 price range which is where I'm at. I'm hesitant on the axis because that's the top end of my price range. I wanted to be out the door for no more than 44 and even though the axis is 45 (after tax)it's still just outside my high end. Obviously I will put the extra down if it's really worth it. I guess I'll know today when I test drive/see the malibu.

I haven't seen a 05 or newer malibu around here for less than 40. There is a similar boat to that 2008 vlx and they want like 55000. I might as well buy a new axis at that point in my opinion.

The boat will probably be used something like 50% wakeboard 20 wake surf 20 to lounge and 10 to pull kids around on a tube.

I'm super hung up about the axis though. There are not any in seattle or Portland for that used. This one isn't even posted online it's just a local dealer called me and said they have someone buying a new boat. Also a reason I like the axis, it was bought and services it's whole life at the dealer and was on a lift on lake sammamish.(not a scratch on the boat) I also liked that it was loaded with ballast but that was also a downside because my girlfriend of course "there is no storage." 800lb sacks in each locker, then he said like 800 in the middle and 1200 in the bow. I don't remember the exact numbers but there was about two seats with storage space. And of course the dude put the biggest sub ever in the passenger compartment lol. Super rad boat, and I'm only 28 so loud, flashy, and a big wake/surf is what I want but I deffintley see kids in the next five years and need to consider the family side of boat buying too.

Are neither of these boats that great of a deal? I checked nada guide and the axis is below and the Malibu is a little over average retail.

Really appreciating the feedback fuys

Seattle prices seem to be higher than most other areas. 29k for that 04 isn't that bad of a price compared to what's on cl right now. Have you owned a vdrive before? If not, I know my way around that year boat pretty well and would be happy to look at it with you. If you want a deal in the NW you have to be willing to travel. I drove to socal with a friend last year to get a deal on a boat.

I would go axis. I bought my boat before I was interested in surfing and the only reason I would sell it for something different is for a better surf wave.

It's still early in the season, you should see more boats start to pop up after the first nice weekend (which is looking like tomorrow) and before memorial day weekend.

Yeah my parents owned a b52 that they got rid of a few years bAck. My cousin has a direct drive and everytime I see him he says "I wish it was a v drive." Lol

Seattle boat sales are weak right now. I'll look at some stuff out of state, but how is it moving states? Just pay tax at the final destination?

Yeah my parents owned a b52 that they got rid of a few years bAck. My cousin has a direct drive and everytime I see him he says "I wish it was a v drive." Lol

Seattle boat sales are weak right now. I'll look at some stuff out of state, but how is it moving states? Just pay tax at the final destination?

Yea, financing can be a bit of an issue. Just need a bill of sale and signed title to register in wa. You have to pay sales tax based on the bill of sale (just like a used car purchase) when you get it in your name at the dol.

Its pretty normal to hear people driving long distances to find the right boat. Don't limit your self to your geographic area. Determine your true budget and what you want to use the boat for and then ask for suggestions here. The crew can point you to the perfect model for your needs.

Use searchtempest.com to search a wide variety of craigslist areas. I'd have to assume that California boats are going to pop up with the drought conditions, right?

Also, I'd be hesitant to buy a boat for a surf wave if you've only done it a couple of times. Is wakeboarding your background - IE the thing you'll always use the boat for?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW3vwlkpohI

So this guy can do a spin and looks like he is having fun. Maybe you guys that say you can't surf behind a old VLX aren't very good surf's to start.

A question for you guys. Can you go wake to wake surfing and can you do spins behind your newer boat?

I can not do spins or wake to wake behind my boat or my friends 2015 LSV.

I know I can surf my hull fine, can't do any tricks. My complaint is how slammed I have it & how easy it is to take water over the bow. I assume a boat like the LSV wouldn't take water over the bow so easy?

Our friends 2015 LSV takes water over the bow if your not paying attention. It's not as easy to take it over the bow like my boat but it will still take it over. It's not idiot proof.

Yeah I'll always wakeboard. My cousins boat is what I ride behind since my parents sold the b52 and its a direct drive mb that has a total skiers wake. Deffintley want to get into wake surfing. Like I said done it twice had a blast, and I surf/skim every year in Hawaii so it's not like I'm going into it blind wondering if I'll like surfing.

I would love to hear some boat suggestions in the 30-40 range. I'm not set on one of these boats, just wanted to ask what was the better buy of the two.

I just talked to a guy with a 2012 axis a20. It has pretty disappointing features. Only 900lb ballast, no depth Finder, and no tower speakers. He wants 37500. I don't think its worth losing two feet of boat and those features over 3500 dollars. Opinions?

I've seen that 2007 you posted in Idaho. I have been checking within about a 6 hour or so drive from home. I'll expand some more.

Beautiful boat but at some point I have to put my foot down on price or I'll end up in a new boat at the dealership haha