Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Slalom offside & onside ?

uk_exile

I've often seen comments regarding onside & offside. For left foot forward which is which ?

I'm almost completing a course, have a long long way to go yet ! Winter now but will be getting some lessons come summer.

I know I cross the wakes right to left a lot faster & easier than left to right. Is that because left to right is my offside ?

I've often seen comments regarding onside & offside. For left foot forward which is which ?

I'm almost completing a course, have a long long way to go yet ! Winter now but will be getting some lessons come summer.

I know I cross the wakes right to left a lot faster & easier than left to right. Is that because left to right is my offside ?

For LFF your onside turns are 1, 3, 5 ball. The onside pull is 1-2, 3-4 and 5-6. The other balls and pulls are your off side. Obviously the opposite is true for RFF.

Edited by BrianM

For LFF your onside turns are 1, 3, 5 ball. The onside pull is 1-2, 3-4 and 5-6. The balls and pulls are your of side and obviously the opposite is true for RFF.

Huh? :unsure:

To simplify the above post: Yes, Right to Left across the wake is your onside pull. Turning to the Left is your onside turn.

Surprised.gif Clear as mud. Surprised.gif

When your back leg is to the inside of the turn, that is your "off-side" turn and the wake-crossing that follows is deemed to be "off-side" as well.

Surprised.gif Clear as mud. Surprised.gif

When your back leg is to the inside of the turn, that is your "off-side" turn and the wake-crossing that follows is deemed to be "off-side" as well.

Yeah, that simplified things. I'm getting a real clear visual here. I think you need more vicodin. . .

Edited by VinRLX

Another way to think of it for people with more of a wakeboarding background is that your onside is your heel side turn and your offside is your toe side turn.

whattttt ??? I understood the 1-2 etc but on a slalom ski one foot is behind the other so how come I can have my back foot "inside of the turn" ?? Back foot (my right foot) always behind the left & I would have thought always following exactly behind the front foot.

whattttt ??? I understood the 1-2 etc but on a slalom ski one foot is behind the other so how come I can have my back foot "inside of the turn" ?? Back foot (my right foot) always behind the left & I would have thought always following exactly behind the front foot.

Your right foot is behind the left, sure, but it sticks out to the right. Therefore, if skiing right to left, your right leg (on side) will never drag in the spray from the ski. When skiing left to right (offside) your right leg may drag in the spray off the ski if your weight is a bit forward.

Clear as the Boston Harbor now?

LFF left turn on-side, right turn off-side (1,3,5 ball on-side)

RFF right turn on-side, left turn off-side (2,4,6 ball on-side)

I think you need more vicodin. . .
If you insist... Biggrin.gif
whattttt ??? I understood the 1-2 etc but on a slalom ski one foot is behind the other so how come I can have my back foot "inside of the turn" ??
Back leg! I know it's difficult to do two things at once but next time you're skiing look down while making a turn. Your back leg will be either to the inside or to the outside depending on which way you are turning.
I think you need more vicodin. . .
If you insist... Biggrin.gif
whattttt ??? I understood the 1-2 etc but on a slalom ski one foot is behind the other so how come I can have my back foot "inside of the turn" ??
Back leg! I know it's difficult to do two things at once but next time you're skiing look down while making a turn. Your back leg will be either to the inside or to the outside depending on which way you are turning.

I think you are supposed to wait a little while after taking the vicodin, then try to clarify things. Crazy.gif

Or wait, better yet, let me take the vicodin - that should clear things up! :lol:

cheers for the replys. understood now. shame it doesn't automatically improve my skills !

so based on foot position, which is the easiest turn and which the easiest wake crossing ? I'm wanting something to blame when things don't go so well :-)

cheers for the replys. understood now. shame it doesn't automatically improve my skills !

so based on foot position, which is the easiest turn and which the easiest wake crossing ? I'm wanting something to blame when things don't go so well :-)

I just blame the driver Shocking.gif I'm RFF and my onside is port to starboard (left to right) which is my best wake crossing and turn albeit needed much improvement currently. So you're probably best at wake crossing and turns right to left would be my guess.

got the latest PP so can't blame the driver

if blamed her too much i'd loose the boat anyway....any the house....and the car........

OK, maybe the answers will be split 50/50 but I am teaching many newbies the basics as my kids bring their friends that have never been on a ski. So, is there an advantage to being RFF versus LFF? If one is obviously better than the other I'd like to start them off on the 'right foot', so to speak.

It's just a matter of which works better for them. Use a skateboard before going out to determine which foot forward is comfortable for them.

Mapple said the RFF skiers have it easy...

Is that enough to say there is an advantage?

Now, I was looking for some pictures..... Anyone notice which FF?

Chris%20Parrish.jpg

ParrishThorpe.jpg

Too funny, I came on this thread just to see what you slalom guys actually talk about. After reading about half the posts I'm literally in tears laughing so hard...

The answer should of been one line:

Onside turn for LFF is ball 1, 3, 5. (or right to left) People can figure out everything else based on that.

It must be the anal nature of the sport to overcomplicate things. This was great! Sorry, but I needed a good laugh!!! :) I'll be nice now.

edit, I see ski6@36 posted just that... thanks for clearing it up, I must of been laughing when I got to it the first time... :D

Edited by aneal000

He looks way too relaxed and makeing it look way to easy in that LFF pic. Just a little more tension in his face on the RFF pic but still makeing it look way too easy.

You know, if you ski ALL THE TIME it makes sense to switch and average out the loads on all your muscles.

if anyone is wondering why i asked the question in first place, i've now been subscribing to waterski mag for a year plus read a few books & alos have drew ross shortline dvd. all meantion on side and off side but none have described the term