Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

04 lxi overheat

Looks like I get to run over and take a look at the inlaws lxi in a couple hours. They put it in, fired up and it overheated a while later. Obvious things are the impeller and tstat. Worked fine when it was put away, we skied our last runs in the course right before pulling it.

unfortunately the impeller is a pain to inspect/replace on a black scorpion. Beginning of 2nd year on it, typically get 3.

Is the raw water intake valve shut off from winterization? It should be parallel with the hose.

Might start there, then move to impeller and lastly change out the thermostat.

Is the raw water intake valve shut off from winterization? It should be parallel with the hose.

Might start there, then move to impeller and lastly change out the thermostat.

I winterized it, so I'm going to say no since I don't shut those. But it did go to the gel coat shop after winterization to get one side of the boat redone. The block was full of antifreeze. Would be funny if they shut the valve because it was dripping on the floor. Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 3

anything is possible. If its closed you'd overheat pretty quickly with no water!

I close mine after I winterize it, and remembered right before I fired it up last week.

Well, I can only guess at what the problem was. Went over and pulled the raw water pump, checked the impeller which was in perfect shape. Decided to see what it was doing for myself - dropped the lift far enough to get it in the water, fired it up and got it warmed up in neutral. Went up to 160 and stayed there like it always has. Took it out for a few blasts down the side of the course, fine. Plowed at low speed for a while, still fine.

Apparently when it over heated they had it idling just off shore and were using it to tug on the lift they shut it down and pulled it in. The area is just choked with weeds right now.

Only 2 things I can think of is that

1) Thermostat was stuck and now it isn't

2) More likely the intake port clogged with a matt of weeds, and at idle it didn't have enough suction to bust it up

In any event seems to be working fine and the buoys might be going in tomorrow. Got to verify that the new Perfect Pass was functioning, it just needs a little tuning on the RPM mode to square it with reality.

• Like 2

Maybe they didn't touch the throttle enough to get the water started thru the system ? I'm guessin you are fine from here on out.

Steve B.

Maybe they didn't touch the throttle enough to get the water started thru the system ? I'm guessin you are fine from here on out.

Steve B.

Yep, I'd second Steve B.'s comment - I've noticed that mine sometimes doesn't prime at idle in the morning without a 'blip' of the throttle. Never an issue once prime is established. I've confirmed it by watching the water flow (or lack of it) in my raw water strainer that has a transparent housing.

I have noticed sometimes when driving off for first run of the day that after idling into the river, when I throttle up to drive way, the exhaust is noticeably loud for a few seconds, presumably because it is 'dry' until proper water flow is established through the engine and exhaust system.

EDIT: Just realised you're talking about the Mercruiser. Comments above relate to my Monsoon 340. My previous boat had a Mercruiser and I don't recall prime being an issue with it over the ten years I had it and the only time it got warm was due to a failing impeller. Priming for the Merc was probably easier due to the pump inlet port being below the water line in that installation while the Indmar pump port in my RLXI is above the water line.

Edited by GreenMan

Should have been primed, they were driving it around at speed before the overheat.

Ok. Sounds more like some weed sucked onto the inlet grille...

Hopefully all is well now!