Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How much vibration is common?

While underway, I've noticed a bit of vibration at certain speeds. I'm not sure if it has to do with weight, RPM or if it's just the nature of the beast. Doesn't always do it. I know it's not going to be "new Lexus smooth" but how much is normal? I just purchased a 2000 23' LSV.

THX

Yeah. Typically just around 25-33ish is where I cruise at and feel it while up around there. When I let off a little more it seems to pretty much cease. It doesn't get worse or anything,just stays about the same. Nothing violent. Not sure if it's just how it works or...?

Could be many factors. How about turning, any vibration increase there?

Wouldn't some vibration be normal? My 03 VLX has some vibration when turning right, at 25mph+ which I attribute to cavitation (with a brand new prop)

Edited by aryder

Check prop, driveshaft, engine mounts, and rudder. Any one of these things can result in harmonic vibration at particular frequencies (i.e. speeds)

Is it more of a steering wheel vibration or seat of the pants thing? How about putting the transmission in neutral and gradually increasing the RPM's to see if it's engine based?

Do you have access to a spare prop that you could swap out? Yours may look fine but be out of balance due to a prior repair. Once the prop is ruled out, I would work my way forward - drive shaft, cutlass bearing, engine alignment.

Tri, deformed props are a very common cause of vibration. While there may not be any really obvious damage, you still may have deformation. The following technique is a very easy way to run a quick check to get a good idea if there is any difference in any of the blades. Just set up this expensive and complicated test equipment and rotate the propellor blades past the indicator. The objective is to look for 'sameness' of all the blades. If the gaps are not all the same you may need to get the prop repaired.

You can also check the drive shaft by pointing the indicator at the side of the shaft about where it exits the hull and rotate the shaft looking for any 'run out'. Similarly, if there is a 'centre hole' countersunk into the end of the shaft, you can point the indicator at it while rotating the shaft and see if the hole appears stationary or is wobbling around.

IMG_0987_zpsd94ef9ac.jpg

IMG_0988_zps9539ce98.jpg

IMG_0986_zpsc7c7174d.jpg

Edited by GreenMan
  • Like 1

On typical out drives I know prop pitch pretty well... What am I best with for mine? I have the 325hp vortec. And best place to order one? Iboats was cheapest for my Four Winns.

GreenMan, I have the boat in storage and we are scheduled rain throug Monday. However, I have a buddy that is going to let me use his shop this weekend for a fulllllll stereo install as well as some other maintenance to get her ready and and make perfect for Memorial Day. I will try your wire test on Friday when I take advantage of the shop. In the meantime, what are my prop options incase it IS bent, so I can get one ordered..? Also, what pitch is best for my setup? I know it's 325hp and the previous owner says it has the "vortec" in it. However, previous photo bearing commenters on other threads say I have the monsoon... Same engine or no? As I stated before, I'm new to the whole Malibu scene and very much unfamiliar.

More so than the power of the boat is the speeds you expect to be running, and the kinds of activities you are planning. A boat that will primarily wake surf will run between 9-14 mph, while skiing or tubing will run 22-30 mph. A surf prop will limit the top speed of your boat, but give you better fuel economy and performance at low speeds. If you're pulling heavy wakeboarders out of the hole, that is a different challenge. Prop size, shape, material (flexibility), number of blades, etc., all play a factor in how the prop performs under different conditions. I would recommend simply replacing your prop with the stock prop for that model and year until you have a good feel for whether or not the prop is working for you (i.e. keeping the boat within the recommended RPM range, etc.)

Edited by exlonghorn

Check the shaft for proper alignment.

I would get the prop fixed myself it's allot cheaper than getting a new one.

You don't want any vibration.

I've wondered this too...

I get a vibration when the boat is idling in forward with the steering wheel/rudder turned all the way to one side (doing a hairpin turn/doughnut). Is this caused by water turbulence shaking the rudder? Am I the only one that gets this? is this bad? It doesn't vibrate at any other time while under way.