Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What's the best prop for tubing?

gobble

Just kidding. My new 1235 came yesterday and like others it has the fine sanding marks on one fin for balancing.

If the prop needs to be so finely tuned, why doesn't the cotter pin cause an imbalance? I haven't seen any special way to install it and there will always be more mass sticking out one side. Should I buy the shortest one that does the trick or am I splitting hairs here?

• Like 4

The cotter pin is something I have always wondered about! I guess since it is so close to the center, maybe it does not cause as much imbalance as one would think? A short one would definitely help I would think.

• Like 2

Wow....I was going to answer..." No Prop!" .....lol.....when I read the Post Header...Yes a Good One.

• Like 3

I have no idea on the cotter pin. As for the title, that's awesome. But we can't recommend a prop without knowing how much ballast you run, and what you tow it with....

Someday I want to be the guy pulling a trampoline full of kids with a pontoon boat. I'm stuck with this surfing thing though for the time being.

Edited by gobble

Run the shortest cotter you can. A long one won't cause an imbalance - not enough mass and too close to center, but can give you some 'prop' sing. I had a long one on that whistled pretty good at idle, and a shorter cotter made a noticeable reduction in the sing. The rest was taken care of with some back of the blade filing.

Yes I hate tubing as well, but for the time being the kids love it and it gets them off the technology so I will tube Dammit!! So to answer your question any prop will do. :(

• Like 3

When my oldest daughter was about 2yrs old we would always say "Boooo tubers" if we saw a boat pulling tuber while we were skiing. We wouldn't yell it or say it real loud and mean, but she would start mimicking us when she saw other tubers and we would laugh. Then one day there was only us and one other boat on a narrow stretch of smooth water on the river and my wife had just cut from a slalom ride and was getting on the swim platform. The other boat was about 50yds away and had just threw a tube in the water. My 2yr old then stood on the seat pointed over the windshield at them and yelled "TUBERS! BOOOOOO!!!" as loud as she could. Other boat just laughed and tubed away. Wife insisted i explain to her that its ok to tube and some people just enjoy it more than skiing, which i did, but deep down inside i was grinning from ear to ear and thinking...Winning!! :clap:

We still laugh about it to this day.

and we still do not own a tube....its a 4 letter bad word in our house.

• Like 3

The cotter pin is in the center and so the rotational mass is negligible, as well as not having any active “force” contact with the water.

The same logic applies to how you balance tires by putting weights on the outside of the wheel, but if your removed one lug nut out of 5 you would never be able to feel the difference.

• Like 1

I saw this title, and at first thought I should message the admins to kick the OP for asking a question of that nature... I'm glad you actually didn't ask that.