Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Weighting out a 2003 VLX for wakeboarding

aryder

I did look and was surprised not to find much. I've got two 800s in the back, wedge, and the bag in the floor locker. I need to pick up a bow bag, but not sure which one to go with.

Any thoughts? Sorry if this has been answered, but my search results were minimal and mostly about surf set ups.

A good rule to start with is a 60/40 split on weight counting the wedge and weight in the back you will need about 1000# in the bow. Your locker bag should be around 550# that gives you about 1550# in the front of the boat and you have about 2600# at the transom. You can also try not filling your 800's all the way to play with the shape of the wake.

The best way to get an idea of how much weight you need where is to get some "dynamic ballast" and move around while underway you will be able to see how big of a difference moving one 120# person will make to the wake of the boat.

I don't think I'm down with 1100 in the bow, that seems sketchy for me. I have the same hull as your 03. I had a 750 surf side but replaced with 1100. We run 600 center, 550 bow, 1100 fairly full rear locker, wedge down 10.3 MPH and surf is good. I made a ghetto surf gate and that made the pocket longer so now it surfs pretty good and you can be further back.

Im with REW put the 1000 up front. Youll want it otherwise youll porpoise all day long. I run 700 x2 in the back of my '05. 500 middle and 1000 up front.

I run 750's in the rear, stock center and a 650 v-sack up front with a reversible pump under the front seat wired into the extra dash switch. Bow fills and drains way faster than the rear or center.

I run 750's in the rear, stock center and a 650 v-sack up front with a reversible pump under the front seat wired into the extra dash switch. Bow fills and drains way faster than the rear or center.

you have your bow sack permanently plumbed into the bow? under the seats? what bag are you using? Sounds interesting.

Wakemakers 650 V-sack. with a Johnson revisable. If I place the sack under the bow seats it will not fill completely so I throw it on top and have a quick release hose to the pump under the seat. It's wired to the battery and to the extra switch on the dash. right now I throw the intake hose over the side but I have everything to mount a permanent intake through the bottom of the boat (haven't got the motivation to drill a hole in my boat yet). If its just 2 or 3 people I will throw an extra 400# sack on the floor next to the driver seat for a total of 2900#. I also have the wicked wake surf system that greatly improves the surf wake without listing the boat. Switching to surfing takes less than 2 minutes.

Wakemakers can fix you up with everything you need for ballast.