Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Inline filter

Does anyone know where the inline filter goes on a 1991 Malibu. I searched from the carb to the fuel pump and from the fuel/water separator all the way back to the fuel tank and can't find it. I just bought the boat last summer and it was running perfect. I got it winterized from a boat mechanic, now it starts but turns off after about 30 seconds. I've replaced the spark plugs, adjusted the idle up, the mechanic put new points in the distributor cap, sea foam in the tank, new gas, sprayed the carb out with carb cleaner, changed the fuel/water separator. I looked in the carb and seen gas being spayed in the carb. I'm a little lost right now and not sure where the inline fuel filter goes, and not sure why it won't stay on. Please help

If you have a fuel/water separator filter, you quite likely don't have an additional in-line filter.

I recently installed a fuel/water separator to my RLXI and deleted the in-line filter.

Agree with Greenman, do you happen to know the brand of Distributor cap and rotor? I was having a problem with The Sierra brand rotors and it would run for about 30 seconds and die then start right back up. After cleaning the carb, changing the filter and plugs and wires, pretty much going through everything I pulled the cap and found the rotor was hitting the cap. Thought it was just a fluke and bought another cap and rotor only to have it happen again. Turned out the Sierra rotor isn't a tight fit and will vibrate and eventually hit the cap. You can get the correct Mallory rotor from O'reilly auto parts (only place I could find local in stock), I went to their website and searched 309 and it will come up with the one you need. If its not that you may want to check your points gap and double check firing order is right on distributor cap.

Thank you guys so much, so i ended up finding the inline filter, it was where the metal fuel line feed went to the carb. Behind the big nut thats on the carb was the imline filter and a spring. The filter was clogged up pretty bad, i could barley blow in it. I replaced it, but when i took the nut out that connects the fuel line (which is metal) it broke. Now i have to replace the line that goes from the fuel pump to the carb. Should i replace the line with a metal one or would a rubber conversion line work and work good?

And no, im not sure of the cap or rotor, ill try and find out tomorrow. Hopefully my problem was just the clogged inline filter that was in the carb

A rubber hose deteriorating and clogging up that little filter again and most likely getting hard and brittle from all the heat would be the biggest concern.

Oldjeep,

It didnt have parts 123, only 567.

Tackybutclassy,

So its recommended to just go with a stock metal fuel line feed to go from fuel pump up to the carb and if so do you know a good website to order it from and possible a part number. I have the worst luck ordering the right parts over the internet. Thanks yall

Oldjeep,

It didnt have parts 123, only 567.

Tackybutclassy,

So its recommended to just go with a stock metal fuel line feed to go from fuel pump up to the carb and if so do you know a good website to order it from and possible a part number. I have the worst luck ordering the right parts over the internet. Thanks yall

You can take the one you have to a local hydraulic repair shop and get them to make you a replacement. Far better than trying to order one.

http://www.pirtekusa.com/ these guys are a national chain and got me fixed in about 45 min.

You can take the one you have to a local hydraulic repair shop and get them to make you a replacement. Far better than trying to order one.

http://www.pirtekusa.com/ these guys are a national chain and got me fixed in about 45 min.

I wish it was possible for me to take it to a hydraulic shop, when I was taking it off it got mangled in the process all twisted and messed up. Im just going to have to order a stock one I think. The engine I have is the 5.7L on the GM 350 V8.

Or get some 3/8 steel fuel line and a flare tool.

That's a good idea, but the flare tools are little pricey vs just finding a stock fuel line. I found some fuel lines for about $40 but not %100 sure if it will fit like the stock ones. I had the worst luck recently trying to replace a clutch cable on my motorcycle (took 5 tries to get it right) so I really would like to get the fuel line right the first time so maybe I can go out this weekend or early next week. Any suggestions on a good website with knowledgeable customer service?

Take a wire coat hanger and bend it to the right shape and length and pirtek should be able to make it. Autozone has tool rentals and you can get the bender and flair tool from them as well as new fittings and tube. Also what kind of junk was clogging up that filter?

Edited by TackybutGlassy

Take a wire coat hanger and bend it to the right shape and length and pirtek should be able to make it. Autozone has tool rentals and you can get the bender and flair tool from them as well as new fittings and tube. Also what kind of junk was clogging up that filter?

Not sure, when I blew inside the filter, no air or just a little was able to go thru the filter. So, that means gas most likely wasn't going through or just a little at a time was going through. I ordered the new fuel line that should be in either today or Monday. Once I put the new fuel line on and the new filter in, I will let you guys know what happens, hopefully that was my only problem.