Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bunk arm gap-23lsv

augie09

We have a '14 lsv, just got a new lift. I won't have boat there for 2 more weeks, but the installer put the bunk arms 22" apart, inside to inside.

That seems too narrow to me. What's the smallest gap you think is ok? Will 22" be enough?

post-14816-14308591758402_thumb.jpg

Yes, too narrow. My recommendation as a good starting point for your boat is 38" or 39" center-to-center measured on the bunks. Also, the pitch of those bunks looks too extreme--flatten them out more so they only have a gentle slope. Our boats are nearly flat near the transom where most of the boat weight sits.

Edited by Cory

measure the trailer bunks and match.

I disagree with this statement. Your trailer has multiple sets of bunks--your lift only has one set. The pitch of your hull gets steep as you move forward. If you put the bunks outside the strakes (like the trailer) you don't get much support up front. You want the bunks to fall on the inside of the strakes--not outside and certainly not on them. The separation distance on your strakes is somewhere around 43-44". You want to be less than that with some wiggle room when you don't line up perfectly. I stand by my recommendation of 38" or 39" (center-to-center).

Edited by Cory

I'm going to back off a little on my recommendation of flattening out your bunks. I can't really tell from the angle of that little picture how steep is the pitch on your bunks. It looks like too much, but it's really hard to tell from that tiny picture.

Edited by Cory

Go to this tread copied below. I think it is helpful to measure and LSV trailer. On the trailer the "inside" set of bunks will sit inside the hull chine. The "outside" bunks on the trailer will sit outside the chine. That is how it was for my 20 MXZ trailer.

I would try to reproduce either of those positions with your lift bunks.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/49060-how-does-your-boat-sit-on-the-lift/

measure the trailer bunks and match.

Yes, too narrow. My recommendation as a good starting point for your boat is 38" or 39" center-to-center measured on the bunks. Also, the pitch of those bunks looks too extreme--flatten them out more so they only have a gentle slope. Our boats are nearly flat near the transom where most of the boat weight sits.

I just measure the bunks, from the back of the boat, here it is.

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-05%20at%205.18.2

Those steps in your hull shy of 47" apart are called "strakes" not chines. I would still use 38" to 39" center-to-center on your bunks. That brings you close to the strake, but not straddling it.

Edited by Cory
  • Like 2

I agree with Cory.

However, I would explain the measurement as: "outside to outside" measurements on your lift bunks do not get wider than 40 inches because you want to be inside of the strakes. So to be safe, I would say 38 inches outside to outside. But you could be narrower than that and still be OK.