Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I'm ready to get naked

I know you're thinking, "Great, another "I'm removing decals and going naked" thread." Well yes. Kinda. I have the tools I need and am prepping to get this underway but am curious what rubbing compound to use if it ends up leaving a shadow behind. The boat is an '07 VTX and has always been stored inside. The gel coat is in really good shape but I feel there will probably still be some shadowing left behind. I've read through all of the "going naked" threads but nobody makes mention of a compount they used to get rid of the shadowing left behind. I've read that it may take some wet sanding but it seems the general consensus says a good compound along with polishing and sealant will leave it barely noticeable. Any recommendations on particular brands or products to go with?

DSC_0053.jpg

I did this last year. Used NuFinish rubbing compound followed by NuFinish wax. Looked AMAZING, no shadow left over. Wish I had stripped the decals sooner...such a clean look.

3m has a rubbing compound called the same but the finess it product is just called that. There is a marine/ Fiberglas version as well as an automotive paint version I believe. Get the marine version.

The final polish just prior to wax should be a really fine polish and I was thinking the finess it 2 product was just one level which is the final fine polish just prior to applying wax.

• 2 months later...

Welp, I finally did it. Pulled the stickers which left a ton of adhesive behind. On the first side I used an eraser wheel which worked really well but was time consuming and burned through two batteries on my drill without completing the entire side. On the second side I elected to spray on Goo Gone and then use a plastic razor blade I had purchased for this project. It worked really well. It got the majority of the adhesive off and then I finished it with a microfiber cloth and goo gone. Took some elbow grease but it all came off. I then polished the boat with 3M Finesse-It and finished it off with some Collinite's #925. It came out amazing and so glad I did it. No shadowing whatsoever! All this is useless without pics so here they are! Need some DomedNumbers next to finish it off!

DSC_0004_1.jpg

DSC_0003_1.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

Wish I had seen that you were going to do it this past weekend, I could have given you a tip to try. I just did mine and figured out a trick to not leave a lot of residue. lol

If you pull the decal straight out, 90 degrees, or more (meaning folding it back over on itself and peeling it back) it would leave residue.

If I pulled mine up at something like a 30-60 degree angle, and worked my fingers under it to "lift" the decal off, it hardly left any residue at all. By 30-60 degrees I mean think of fluffing a blanket on your bed. You just pull up and towards you, rather than "folding it and pulling it off" like you were turning the covers down. (if that makes any sense)

Took me about 20 minutes each side to get the decals off, and about an hour each side of polishing to bring the shine back out.

I was fully naked in about 3 hours from start to finish.

Wish I had seen that you were going to do it this past weekend, I could have given you a tip to try. I just did mine and figured out a trick to not leave a lot of residue. lol

If you pull the decal straight out, 90 degrees, or more (meaning folding it back over on itself and peeling it back) it would leave residue.

If I pulled mine up at something like a 30-60 degree angle, and worked my fingers under it to "lift" the decal off, it hardly left any residue at all. By 30-60 degrees I mean think of fluffing a blanket on your bed. You just pull up and towards you, rather than "folding it and pulling it off" like you were turning the covers down. (if that makes any sense)

Took me about 20 minutes each side to get the decals off, and about an hour each side of polishing to bring the shine back out.

I was fully naked in about 3 hours from start to finish.

I didn't get out that easy haha. We peeled the stickers off then hit the residue with the wheel. It took probably 7 hours from start to finish. Didn't get achance to do my interior but got everything else cleaned. Took it out yesterday and used the boat candy on it afterward and it was still looking amazing!