Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

fuel water separtor on 91 malibu

Does the 1991 Malibu come stock with a fuel water separator? I have a 91 Malibu that has been giving me some problems this season. I had the boat professionally winterized, and now I cant get it to run right. It will cut on for about 30 seconds then it cuts off. I have replaced the sparkplugs, the guy that winterized the boat replaced the points on it when it was winterized (b/c it was sitting for about 2 months and the mechanic couldn't get it to start), I tried adjusting the stop for the throttle thinking it might just be idling too low, sprayed carb cleaner in the carb (really don't want to take the carb off if I don't have to), and I've placed seafoam in the gas tank. I'm starting to think that it may be a bad inline filter, fuel filter, or fuel water separator (if it has one) or maybe the mechanic didn't gap or do something right when he installed the new points. I'm not sure if my boat actually has a fuel water separator, does anyone know if they came stock that year and if so where its located? Plus if you have ideas why the boat will start but cuts off will be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot

Bu Model?

kinda embarrassing, but I think it may be the euro f3. Sorry just got the boat at the end of summer last year and its been sitting in storage for some time now.

If it is the tournament ski edition 350 mercruiser you will find your fuel filter/water seperator on the right hand front of the engine (drivers side). It is a spin on cannister style filter just like an oil filter. Follow your fuel line down from your carb or up from your fuel pump and you will find it

If it is the tournament ski edition 350 mercruiser you will find your fuel filter/water seperator on the right hand front of the engine (drivers side). It is a spin on cannister style filter just like an oil filter. Follow your fuel line down from your carb or up from your fuel pump and you will find it

Found it thanks, do you know where the inline filter goes. I searched the fuel line and couldn't find. I went down from the carb to the fuel pump and also from the fuel water separator back to the tank and still couldn't find it

The only in line filter other than the cannister type is the screen assembly located in the carb at the fuel inlet. You have to remove the steel line at the carb and use either a 15/16 or 1 inch wrench to remove the cartridge. It is a fine mesh screen and is washable. Hope this helps

The only in line filter other than the cannister type is the screen assembly located in the carb at the fuel inlet. You have to remove the steel line at the carb and use either a 15/16 or 1 inch wrench to remove the cartridge. It is a fine mesh screen and is washable. Hope this helps

He has about 4 threads going on this. It is a Quadrajet and has the typical paper carb inlet filter.

Paper? Ive only ever seen paper on the automotive quadrabogs. Most marine q jets have the fine mesh screen re useable/washable filter. Of course a guy could always use the paper cartridge type.