Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

04 wakesetter vlx surf wave compared to Tige 22v?

joswing

Hello,

I'm about ready to upgrade my 1990 Supra SunSport. I would absolutely love to be able to get into an '05 -' 08 wakesetter (with the "V25" hull) but I can't seem to find one within my budget <30k yet... maybe in a few more years.

We surf (goofy footed) and wakeboard about 50/50. I've never been behind the earlier wakesetters pre '05 but the smaller hull and lower freeboard look like it would be harder to get a good surf wave out of it, which is what I've read from others on this forum as well.

I've started considering an '04 Tige 22v after reading many great reviews about its surf wave. I've test driven the Tige but it was not properly weighted to really get a true sense of the surf wave and wakeboard wakes.

Can anyone speak to a comparison between the 04 vlx surf wave and the Tige 22v? Can the '04 vlx surf wave be as good as the '04 Tige with enough weight? If so can enough weight be hidden in the vdrive compartments and under the seats? Does it clean up properly for both starboard and port?

Likewise will the Tige wakeboard wake ever be comparable to the vlx wake with the wedge and ballast?

Thanks for your help!

Jason

My guess is the 04 will have a better wakeboard wake and the Tige might be a better surf boat. My 06 (same hull as the 04) surfs ok with a lot of

weight but nothing like some of the newer boats or older ones with more of a v-hull. The wakeboard wake on mine is very nice though in my opinion

and I pull a kid sometimes that competes and is used to riding behind the new boats. .... he always complements the wake on my boat .

I say I guess because I have never ridden behind or even in a Tige...just going by some of the stuff I have read over the years. Could be totally off base though.