Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Accuracy of Malibu's trailer specs for 22vlx?

catalac

Malibu says a 22vlx is 22'10" swim deck off, wedge up, trailer tongue folded. I'm finding this hard to believe if the boat is 21'10" alone tongue break and wedge only add a foot?? My garage is 23'4" would like to replace the vtx with new vlx but not if it doesn't fit.

Anyone know if the specs are accurate or has measured theirs? Tx

It isn't correct. I have a new 22 VLX and my garage is right at 25'. With the tongue folded I have maybe two inches on the back and six inches on the front. More like 24' and a bit.

I can't imagine only 22'10", the wedge is basically as long as the swimstep, the foldable tongue makes the bow the true furthest point forward (at least on my '03) but the wedge would have to be in the down position for a 22' boat to only be 22'10" from what I can see

I am going to go measure tomorrow as I find hard to believe too, I did find some decent pics of the 2015 back end and the wedge mechanism is set back into the hull it's not flush with transom so guess will see.

Mine is 23'5" with the wedge down swim deck off. I have a side mount spare tire that limits the tongue by and inch or two. The power wedge down and surf gates are about equal.

Funny story along these lines. Many years ago I ad an XTI and the house I was living at , at that time was a total PITA to put the boat in the garage. It was a 21.5ft boat and had foldable tongue, manual wedge, ect.

I would have to pull the platform, racks, tow ball , ect. Then when I got it into the garage, had to jocky it sideways to miss the water heater and it BARELY fit. When the VTX dropped in 2006/7 I had to have one. I figured all my garage worries would be over with a foot and a half less length. Well.....I sold the XTI and ordered a new VTX in 2007.

Boat arrives 5 months later and I take it home, excited to be able to just pull it in straight....wrong! The VTX was on the same EXACT trailer blank as the XTI , just the bow stop was moved back. So my trailer length was identical, boat just didn't take up the length. Same PITA for the next 5 years....

• Like 2

Mine is 23'5" with the wedge down swim deck off. I have a side mount spare tire that limits the tongue by and inch or two. The power wedge down and surf gates are about equal.

I moved the swivel tongue to swivel towards the direction of the jack. This bought me a little more room as it swivels in closer to the frame.

Reference for others measured a 2015 22vlx today from the break away tongue folded back and the power wedge down the distance is 23' even, if you removed the break away tongue portion so just the trailer frame was forward it is indeed 22'10". The power wedge is recessed in the hull and sticks out 12" ontop with wedge down and bow sits flush with the breakaway (boatmate trailer).

Will fit in my garage with about 3-4" to spare!!

Edited by catalac