Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

NC Trailer Title Help

MotoGPTy

Hello Crew,

I have a situation that I could use some help with if possible.

Here's the story:
- Bought our 2001 VLX & trailer in 2011 from a broker in Denver, NC
-No trailer title originally but he did get us what looked like a title (MVR-4 form - Duplicate Cert of Title and Assignment by Registered Owner) This form can also be used as a bill of sale which he filled out and had notarized on both sides.
-I never registered the trailer because we always keep the boat at the marina and the trailer sat in storage for the past few years.
-We sold the 2001 VLX & trailer to a gentleman in Raleigh this April and gave him the title above thinking he could take it and get it registered if he wanted (I'm from TN so I never titled a trailer)
-DMV tells him I have to register it first
-He sends it back to me
-We take it to DMV and they tell me the last guy that owned it needs to register it and they need to know what state it was first registered in because they don't even have it entered into the state's records. We have no idea where it came from.
-Since we bought it through a broker we don't have the previous owner's info other than a mailing address. The broker has since went out of business so we don't seem to have any leverage / help there. When I look up the PO address listed on the title in the local GIS system he is no longer at that residence because it shows a sale and new owners since 2013. I've contacted the guy on LinkedIn so hopefully he'll accept my invite so we can chat.
Is all of this about the state getting their taxes? I'm fine with getting it up to date but the lady at the DMV told us we may have to get it appraised and some other things (filling out an indemnity form?) if we can't get the previous owner to cooperate...for a 2001 single axle boat trailer this is a lot of work.
I feel terrible about putting the new owner through any type of work so ideally I can get this handled without him having to do much. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Ty

I'd follow the DMV instructions, but first attempt to register it in your state with your existing paperwork at a different office. Not registering it when you bought it was where things went bad, the paperwork looks suspicious when you sit on it for (years?). As far as "about the state getting its taxes" - more about the state(s) making sure that they are not registering stolen trailers. (This is where the indemnity form comes in)

Thanks. I've got a lead on another DMV location/contact from a trusted resource.

My ignorance hurt me here forsure. In TN, we just never registered any trailer and just passed the title along (if we had one). Never had an issue.

I think the boat originally came from Skiers Pier but not sure they'd have records that far back. Trying to narrow it down from both directions currently.

Thanks. I've got a lead on another DMV location/contact from a trusted resource.

My ignorance hurt me here forsure. In TN, we just never registered any trailer and just passed the title along (if we had one). Never had an issue.

I think the boat originally came from Skiers Pier but not sure they'd have records that far back. Trying to narrow it down from both directions currently.

At least in MN title skipping is a big no-no and a huge pain in the rear to deal with. I had a 6 month long process registering my 53 Ford, luckily in that case it really didn't matter when the paperwork was finally completed.

It's proving to be the same in NC. :-) Hopefully the PO will be cool and help out here. After he/broker sold me a boat that threw a rod a couple of months later it's the least he could do. :-)