Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

15 LSV bow weight

ThinkinBu

Hello, given a small crew and looking for an "easy" surf wake set up, I am thinking anout adding a few hundred lbs of solid weight to the bow. The goal would be to improve surf wake for mist riding situations. Of course a bag could be added on top when needed. Will have the 800 lbs pnp sacks in rear locker.

Any down side other than fuel economy to the extra bow weight?

Don't have boat yet, so how much room if any is there to add weight under the bow seats?

Thanks!

I'm running MLS + 750/s x2 in the rear, and I have a 650 bow sack that I am now using. Depending on the engine/prop you have, you might have issues with maintaining plane or speed when surfing. If uou get too nose heavy, you just want to watch dipping the bow when you drop off a plane.

LS3 1235 combo on order.

Can you get under the front seats? Sorry, not a BU owner (yet) and trying to understand options.

No you can't get under the front seats. That's where the the MLS tank is (assuming you are getting bow MLS, as I think it is an option - just about everyone seems to order it though). Storage in the bow is limited, so options are:

1) Just get a bow sack and put a pump over the side - easy.

2) Get a bow sack, but integrate the pumps / hoses into the boat (like IXFE has done on this forum). Easy to use, convenient, not visible when not using the bag, but more costly (especially if you get someone else to fit it)

3) Put steel / lead where ever it will fit, but still don't think you will get that much weight in the bow of an LSV

4) Run less weight at the back (not a popular concept on this forum).

5) Take out the front MLS tank and replace with steel / lead. Don't know anyone that has done this yet.

6) Invite you 'large' friends along for the rise. Movable ballast is the ultimate accessory! :biggrin:

Also bear in mind that on the 2014 LSV (almost exactly the same as the 2015 LSV), DocPhil thought that his boat produced a very good wave with no bow weight. It probably looked a bit ungainly with the bow in the air, but apparently the wave was good. Don't have a link at hand, but think it was in the 2014 LSV surf setup thread.

• Like 1

No you can't get under the front seats. That's where the the MLS tank is (assuming you are getting bow MLS, as I think it is an option - just about everyone seems to order it though). Storage in the bow is limited, so options are:

1) Just get a bow sack and put a pump over the side - easy.

2) Get a bow sack, but integrate the pumps / hoses into the boat (like IXFE has done on this forum). Easy to use, convenient, not visible when not using the bag, but more costly (especially if you get someone else to fit it)

3) Put steel / lead where ever it will fit, but still don't think you will get that much weight in the bow of an LSV

4) Run less weight at the back (not a popular concept on this forum).

5) Take out the front MLS tank and replace with steel / lead. Don't know anyone that has done this yet.

6) Invite you 'large' friends along for the rise. Movable ballast is the ultimate accessory! :biggrin:

Also bear in mind that on the 2014 LSV (almost exactly the same as the 2015 LSV), DocPhil thought that his boat produced a very good wave with no bow weight. It probably looked a bit ungainly with the bow in the air, but apparently the wave was good. Don't have a link at hand, but think it was in the 2014 LSV surf setup thread.

If you pull the floor off over the bow tank, you could stuff a lot of lead around the tank under the floor. The problem is that you can't really move it very easily once it's stuffed under there, so it's pretty static. But if you wanted to you could definitely get at least 300 lbs (and probably more like 500) under the floor in the bow.