Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stabbed knee on seat

Raimie

So I knelt on my rear sliding seat base to open the rear locker and something stabbed my knee. Broke the skin and put a small hole in the vinyl. I am guessing it was a screw coming up from underneath, but I didn't have a chance to investigate.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this experience?

Edited by Raimie

Some seats have screws coming through the seat base that fasten the rubber/plastic feet underneath to make the seat stay in its designated location. One really has to compress the seat and inner foam to reach it. Kneeling in the perfect spot might do it; heavy downward force in a small area. Bummer.

Screw is too long in that case. Ive seen it happen on a supra before. The screws shouldn't be long enough to go through the starboard on bottom of seats.

So I knelt on my rear sliding seat base to open the rear locker and something stabbed my knee. Broke the skin and put a small hole in the vinyl. I am guessing it was a screw coming up from underneath, but I didn't have a chance to investigate.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this experience?

Yes! Although it didn't pierce the vinyl or my skin. But, there's something sharp in there?

When redoing my seats, I did find the screws from the rubber foot in place were barely protruding through, but mine weren't enough to pierce the seat skin after going through that much foam. I don't even think they would have been able to pierce my skin with no foam, I only noticed them when trying to remove the adhesive from the foam., my putty knife kept getting caught on them. I'd have the dealer look at it and get a new skin, and have them loosen the screws just a little.

Why the manufacturer allows this is beyond me.

Agree. I cannot believe all these "little" issues that get past them. They don't seem to have a good system (or any) that ties these warranty claims to improving processess/design and as an reliability engineer, that just frustrates the hell out of me.

My '06 uses the same screws for all the seat backs. To keep them from going through the vinyl in more shallow parts they used different stacks of washers.

Kinda shocking, but I guess when you consider they're built in Knoxville.............. ;)

My '06 uses the same screws for all the seat backs. To keep them from going through the vinyl in more shallow parts they used different stacks of washers.

Kinda shocking, but I guess when you consider they're built in Knoxville.............. ;)

What is the matter with Knoxville? The sun sphere was awesome in 1982 ;)

They must have had a longer screw mixed in with the ones they are supposed to use at the factory.

Not so sure about that as it seems to be in multiple boats and there is more than one spot on mine.... I hope to examine the seat base tonight, but the weather isn't looking too good to uncover...

Back when we used to order several boats a year for the midwestern ski clubs, there would be an appreciable difference in the F&F between the CA-built and TN-built boats. The CA-built boats just seemed more ready to go. TN boats would come with dry erase marker markings for things like cleat and windscreen mounts, screws not tight, etc. Sucks to hear that's still going on.