Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Switching to Malibu lsv

Zad

I just sold my '02 xstar and I am now looking for a Malibu 23 lsv, primarily to use for wake surfing. We had the old xstar dialed in pretty nicely but it was time to move on. I have found a 2008 23lsv with 400 hours on the 340 Monsoon... looks to be in good shape and they are asking $41,000. Has an upgraded stereo but the tower speakers were removed. Nice looking boat with simple black and grey gelcoat. Seems like a reasonable deal but I have no hands on experience with this boat. Given the time of year, price and the above description what do you think? Are there any common problems with this model/year? Anything I should specifically look for, other than the usual?

I've had my 08 LSV since it was new, and I've had NO problems with it other than self induced ( don't ask... It embarrassing ). It's got the Monsoon, and I run the ACME 1235 prop, and surf probably 30-40% of our time. I put 750s in both rear lockers ( thanks wakemakers for making that's easy ), put my16 year old son and his buddy in the bow, and we get a pretty good wave. I'm no expert at surfing, but it works great for us, and our friends that we bring on board. I think the common problems with this model/year were resolved by a factory update program Malibu initiated in 2009 (SW update, tower bushings, can't remember the third thing they fixed). Great boat for us, no regrets on our purchase. Good luck on your decision/purchase.

I have basically the same boat/hull but w/ the G3 tower, Malivue and different stickers. I have experienced the same things as Steve has with most of my issues being dealer induced. It was a new demo boat from a new Malibu dealer from N. Texas so they drove it like they stole it. Other than a software update (got that from a crew member, thanks Matty_gs) that fixed an odd ball shallow water alarm warning it has been trouble free! You will want to replace the factory 537 prop unless it has something more aggressive on it. I am running a 1235 @ 380ft ASL with factory ballast and an 1100 surf side locker and a 750 surfside seat or on the floor depending on occupants. Wedge 2 clicks up and normally just 4 adults and it makes a great wave skim or regular surf board @ 11.2 mph. If I use my homemade/copied wake surf gate I have to drop the weight in both rear lockers to @ 600lbs and move about the same amount up front if I use the wedge like I normally do. It has been a comfortable and great boat.

I love my 08 lsv, we are 50/50 surf vs wakeboard. I have not added weight beyond the stock mls and just my wife and 2 small kids in the boat. I surf at 10.8, wedge 2 clicks up and I have a wicked wake setup. this is what my surf wave looks like http://s374.photobucket.com/user/toddrparr/library/

I am just starting out, but I have been able to go ropeless and it has a good push.