Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What do you do if you bend your prop a little bit?

I was leaving the dock today and slow through a shallow spot and must have hit a rock. One of the tips is bent a little bit, not bad and no nicks. Can I just take a small vice grip pliers and try to bend it back to match the other tips? How critical is it that it's perfect?

2008 VLX

I guess it depends on how important your next trip is and if you have a spare. If you can, I would bend it and see how it works. I know props can be very finicky and even the smallest dings or bends not even noticeable to the eye can cause problems.

I would not do this if the possibility of it not working would screw up my next outing.

I have fixed small damage by using a body hammer and a vice. I used the vise to get the correct radius. It is now my backup but I used it after the repair and couldn't tell a difference between the old one I fixed and the new one.

What's the proper way to fix it? Sorry for the dumb question but this is my second year with a boat. Are there shops that do this kind of work? Cost?

Only one shop in my area and I have to drive mid state to get it done. 30+ years of experience is reassuring especially on the NiBrAl props. I rolled 2 tips on a submerged log 2 years ago and it was $230.00 to straighten and balance. It was cheaper than a new 1235, but it still hurts to sit. If you are going to get it done you better go screaming in now. Boating and fishing season will back a place up for months before you see your prop! Get it fixed before you start to see the adverse second and third order effects, vibration, cutlass bearing or shaft seal failure.

Edited by wdr

What's the proper way to fix it? Sorry for the dumb question but this is my second year with a boat. Are there shops that do this kind of work? Cost?

There are plenty of "prop shops" out there that do nothing but, repair all sorts of propellers. Marine is an especially large facet. Just goolge it:

https://www.google.com/search?q=boat+propeller+repair+Milwaukee%2C+WI&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

I would try the home made fix first. If you don't notice any vibration, great. You still need a back up prop in my mind. I carry a spare tire in all my cars and boat trailer.

If your home repair doesn't fix it, prop shop time.

edit price should be more in line with what Bill says, around $100.

Edited by Pistol Pete

I got mine done for $100-$140, somewhere in there. Looked brand new when I got it back. It's also my back up now because I was upgrading anyway At certain rpm's I would vibrate slightly or feel a sort of cavitation effect. This forum led me to believe it was my prop. When I looked at it, I noticed some very small dings but when we actually took the prop off, and measured it against the other blades, it was obvious that it was out of pitch. Running around on a bad prop is equivalent to a bad tire on the car. If it's going low, you might be able to plug it and make it a little while, might work out okay for a good while, if it's flat or really low, and you ride around too long, it's gonna cause a lot more damage. I'm in Austin and used Nettles Props. Quick turnaround time during mid season and they had the 1235 I needed in stock already. They will even do the prop swap out right there if you happen to have your boat in tow. Just some FYI for the central Texas guys and gals out there.

Mikes prop shop in madison. I took mine there and it looks perfect (still need to get on water). Always 1 week turn around as well. I think it cost $130 for a four blade and $90 for a three.

I have done three bent props. All worked fine. they had no chips or gouges just bent. I use an adjustable wrench moor often some light hammer work.

Set the jaws an the wrench so it just sips onto the prop. All are now backups now but some stayed in use for more then a year. No only one was mine the others are people we ski with. All the one's I have done are on ski boats running 34 & 36 mph, so in the 5,000 rpm range.

If you don't already have a spare/alternate size prop ask the shop you end up taking the damaged prop to if they have a "refurb" (repaired) prop for sale. It's amazing how many people show up to a prop repair shop, find out it's going to take more than a week to get their prop back, and just buy a new one and leave the damaged unit there. Last time I was at a repair shop the "repaired/for sale" shelf had 20+ propellers ready to go.

I _always_ keep a spare prop readily available. It's cheap insurance for not messing up a family vacation.

Sounds like an opportunity to upgrade from the Acme 537 to something else. If we're mostly surfing should I try the 1235? Or one of the OJ props?

Local prop shop charged $140 for the one I really beat up last year. Make sure the shop has a spin balancer so they can test their work. Www.propmd.com Is our local place.

My local prop shop (Northern Ca.) wanted $300 to fix a prop. I sent it to www.Propmd.com (Minnesota) and they fixed it for $160 which included shipping both ways. It was worth it for me to get a second opinion.

My local prop shop (Northern Ca.) wanted $300 to fix a prop. I sent it to www.Propmd.com (Minnesota) and they fixed it for $160 which included shipping both ways. It was worth it for me to get a second opinion.

It is nice having them less than 10 miles away, with quick turn around. They did a lot of aluminum i/o props for me as well as my first messed up acme. Hoping to not give them as much business in the future.

For anyone looking for a great deal, Ben at PropMD just sold me a new 1235 for $530 (less than Wakemakers more than Bakes) and threw in a free refurbishment of the 537 I bent. Great deal I'm very happy.