Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Whining fuel pump

My 01 vlx was whining from the fuel pump. I had changed out the filter and cleaned the fiuel pump screen . It only had one filter. That did not help. I did learn that while it was whining at idle that if I lifted the filter so that it's contents flooded line to he pump the whining went away for a moment. I decided that I'd check the fuel pickup for issues. I pulled it from the tank ( had to take the boat apart to get to it) and found an open tube on the connection. I also saw a black tube wih a screen on it laying in the tank. I got it out and saw it was supposed to fit onto he open tube. It also had a spring in it to keep it from collapsing. While I had it out I decided to check the anti siphon valve that is a part of it. That's where I found the problem. There was some sort of fiber in the area of the check ball. I used my compressor and air nozzle to blow air into that area. It took quite a bit of. Work but I finally blew out a ball of what looked like carpet fiber. I guess during the build, carpet fiber fell in the tank and when the in tank screen fell off, it was able to get sucked up. Once I got it all back together, it ran whthout the whine.

Hard to believe there could have been some fibre type of material from the build in 2001 & not get picked up til now.

Could have happened from a re fuel if jerry cans used or other canister to decanter.

If refuelling from some sort of can, do you use one of those funnels with the gauze screen just in case there is anything foreign in the can?

Either way, great satisfaction finding a problem & fixing it without dealer intervention.

We all know how much love a dealer puts into servicing & repairs.

Most dealers would have stopped looking once they found the 1st problem without the old, while I am in here, does everything else lol OK.

Great work.