Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wrecked 95 Echelon Project NEED HELP

Hey guys, new member here but I feel like I've read through the entire forum over the last couple weeks while debating on buying a 1995 Echelon project boat.

Well I bought it the other day and now I have a lot of work ahead of me. I have seen all the great work you guys do and hopefully I can get pointed in the right direction on my new project. I'm pretty handy and looking to do it on a limited budget. I just wanted to pick up a tow boat that my friends and I could get out on the awesome lakes and rivers here in the Minnesota.

I test drove the boat (very carefully to not sink) but it ran great and the compression tested fine. It was a one owner boat and the owner shed a tear as I pulled away with it so I know he took care of it. The story is that when in storage a truss fell over the bow of the boat cracking the hull and breaking the glass and bending the windshield frame (see pictures) as well as taking out the dash area.

Some advice on new parts and custom projects on the following topics would be great, I did alot of searching on the forum and found some good stuff but nothing quite like my project.

-Major fiberglass repair

-Dash repair

-Windshield repair

-Gel coat matching (Maybe wrap it?)

Any help is greatly appreciated! I also hope to make some new friends along the way.

Just realized that I need to get the photos up on Photobucket first, I'll have them up shortly!

This link should bring you to the pics:

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s621.photobucket.com/user/wkarras/embed/slideshow/"></iframe>

Edited by WesK

Ugh. It's going to be hard to get parts for it. I wouldn't bother putting a windshield on it. You'll prob have to fabricate something for the dash or retrofit a dash from another boat.

That's what I'm finding, that parts are nearly impossible to find (especially up here in the north woods). Or it will cost me an arm and a leg to get custom ones built.

The price was right but it's going to be a lot of work I know.

I have the entire frame for the windshield as well as the 2 side glass pieces still intact and only the top two corner pieces and the center frame are bent up. I'm thinking with some heat and persuasion it can all be bent back but then the question of getting replacement glass comes up. I'm thinking heat forming plexi or trying to bend up some lexan? Has anyone done this on a "curvier" windshield than those I've seen do it on older skiers?

I'd consider the no windshield option but the wind beats you up pretty good, when I test drove it I was getting fiberglass in my eyes running it wide open!

Has anyone done a fiberglass repair this extensive? What sort of products have you used?

Thanks for the help!

I'm in Richfield, MN. Right by the Minneapolis/St. Paul Airport.

Are there a few of you guys from the Minneapolis/St. Paul area?

Edited by WesK

You might be able to source some parts off another junked boat. (windshield and dash). You might try calling a couple of insurance agents to see what they do with boats they have paid out on. You may be able to source some upgrades this way as well.

How much of the strips are tape? Matching gel that is that old will be tough but should be able to pull it off. A wrap would be a good idea if the colors wont match up for you.

I hope you have had some experience with fiberglass work in the past if not you are going to get an education glassing up the damaged area. Don't skimp on a repair this big you will need a vacuum bagging system to make sure you get a proper repair without voids in the material. You can also get pumps for the resin and hardener to make measuring easier. A respirator will also be a good idea (charcoal filter style)

Good luck and keep us posted.

if you can get past the structural fiberglass repair, seems like it should be pretty easy. Start looking for parts boats or Taylormade may be able to make you a new windshield.

please keep the photos coming as you go thru this

Edited by Bozboat

I'm in Richfield, MN. Right by the Minneapolis/St. Paul Airport.

Are there a few of you guys from the Minneapolis/St. Paul area?

Quite a few I think. Sounds like a fun project, I'd just start scouring the web for the windshield/donor boat.

Edit - I seem to remember seeing that boat on CL or somewhere.

Edited by oldjeep

WOW!!!! Definitely keep a camera handy and take multiple pics of this project.....this is one I want to follow just to see the progress and learn a little something on the way!!

You might be able to source some parts off another junked boat. (windshield and dash). You might try calling a couple of insurance agents to see what they do with boats they have paid out on. You may be able to source some upgrades this way as well.

How much of the strips are tape? Matching gel that is that old will be tough but should be able to pull it off. A wrap would be a good idea if the colors wont match up for you.

I hope you have had some experience with fiberglass work in the past if not you are going to get an education glassing up the damaged area. Don't skimp on a repair this big you will need a vacuum bagging system to make sure you get a proper repair without voids in the material. You can also get pumps for the resin and hardener to make measuring easier. A respirator will also be a good idea (charcoal filter style)

Good luck and keep us posted.

Good suggestions, there isn't much online that I've found for donor boats but maybe there are some salvage yards in the Minneapolis area that I don't know about that someone could suggest?

everything is Gel coat and it gets pretty intricate around the damage area. It seems like Spectrum will mix you up old Gel colors at a mere $300/gallon... and with the 4 colors that adds up fast. Has anyone on here done a wrap themselves or have had it done? One idea is maybe just color-matching the white below the rubrail and then wrapping it above the rubrail to hide the repair.

I've done some glassing on cars (VW dune buggies) so I know the basics but am wondering what special products I should use for marine applications?

WOW!!!! Definitely keep a camera handy and take multiple pics of this project.....this is one I want to follow just to see the progress and learn a little something on the way!!

I'll definitely take some progress photos so everyone can give me some helpful advice/criticism. I'll take the grinder to it tonight and get all the damaged glass out of the way to see what I'm working with.

This is my first boat project so we'll see how it goes. I've restored some cars and consider myself a competent DIYer but we shall soon find out!

The rest of the boat is in pretty good shape really so it seemed worth saving. Hoping to at least get the fiberglass work done before Memorial day and tear up some lakes!

formulaben

That's what I'm finding, that parts are nearly impossible to find (especially up here in the north woods). Or it will cost me an arm and a leg to get custom ones built.

The price was right but it's going to be a lot of work I know.

I have the entire frame for the windshield as well as the 2 side glass pieces still intact and only the top two corner pieces and the center frame are bent up. I'm thinking with some heat and persuasion it can all be bent back but then the question of getting replacement glass comes up. I'm thinking heat forming plexi or trying to bend up some lexan? Has anyone done this on a "curvier" windshield than those I've seen do it on older skiers?

I'd consider the no windshield option but the wind beats you up pretty good, when I test drove it I was getting fiberglass in my eyes running it wide open!

Has anyone done a fiberglass repair this extensive? What sort of products have you used?

Thanks for the help!

Somewhere on here there are pics of an older straight-windowed Malibu that got converted to a curved windshield...looked gorgeous.

Somewhere on here there are pics of an older straight-windowed Malibu that got converted to a curved windshield...looked gorgeous.

I have seen that boat on here it really updated the look. If i remember right a VLX windshield just HAPPENED to fall into his lap which would be pretty nice. Even those would go for $2k or more I'd imagine off a wrecked one. I'm really hoping someone has made their own glass out of plexi or lexan for one of these curvier windshields and will have some helpful tips to share otherwise I'll blaze my own trail!

Quite a few I think. Sounds like a fun project, I'd just start scouring the web for the windshield/donor boat.

Edit - I seem to remember seeing that boat on CL or somewhere.

Yep it was on Minneapolis CL for $5500 listed as a 94 but it's a 95 according to the HIN, nobody would touch it with a 10' pole for that much but cash talks!

Yep it was on Minneapolis CL for $5500 listed as a 94 but it's a 95 according to the HIN, nobody would touch it with a 10' pole for that much but cash talks!

Now I remember, I think there is even a thread here where I might have been making fun of the price tag ;) Sounds like you must have gotten it for a more reasonable number.

I'd see if you could get the dimensions for the windshield footprint and see if maybe Taylor Made or another OEM manufacturer (for other boats) has a windshield from another boat model that would either be a direct fit or "close fit". If you're doing fiberglass already you may be able to mod it for a whole lot cheaper than trying to find an OEM of that vintage. Just my $.02. Also, if you can extract the old dash in kinda sorta one piece (duct taped) you could probably push it back into place, glass the back side of it then use the top side as a template for a new fiberglass piece. Good luck with the project. You will literally know every inch of your boat when this is done.

Edited by Cap305

Now I remember, I think there is even a thread here where I might have been making fun of the price tag ;) Sounds like you must have gotten it for a more reasonable number.

i did read that thread before I bought it! I was hoping someone would notice that and get a good laugh at my expense. I'm not really looking to sell it anytime soon just wanted to get out on the water for cheap. I'm hoping with some work it'll turn out to be something usable and not look like too big of a turd.

I'd see if you could get the dimensions for the windshield footprint and see if maybe Taylor Made or another OEM manufacturer (for other boats) has a windshield from another boat model that would either be a direct fit or "close fit". If you're doing fiberglass already you may be able to mod it for a whole lot cheaper than trying to find an OEM of that vintage. Just my $.02. Also, if you can extract the old dash in kinda sorta one piece (duct taped) you could probably push it back into place, glass the back side of it then use the top side as a template for a new fiberglass piece. Good luck with the project. You will literally know every inch of your boat when this is done.

Good idea on searching for other windshield that may be close. It makes it easier that the bottom is all on a flat plane. It seems like I could tape the dash together... glass the inside to hold it together structurally then re-wrap it in vinyl? All the pieces are there... it's like a puzzle. Some people may not have taken it on but i take a lot of pride in fixing things myself and will learn some new skills along the way. I have a pipe dream of one day trading up to a Wake Setter by buying... fixing... and selling boats but that's a long ways off!

I found this while scouring the internet for a windshield.

http://easternshore.craigslist.org/bpo/4952442959.html

Does anyone know if this 2000 Response LX windshield will be even close to fitting my 94 echelon closed bow?

If anyone with that same hull type response has one nearby some measurements would be VERY helpful.

they have the same length and beam, but my echelon has the SV23 Hull and the response has the SV23 Diamond Hull.

The main difference pertaining to the windshield I see is the termination point by the drivers seat there is an extra bump on the Echelon, if the Response windshield ends before that and the curve is similar it should work.

Any Thoughts?

Edited by WesK

I remember this old post, this guy made one out of plexi. The pics won't load, but he provided pretty good written detail. I remember being amazed - it looked perfect. And - it cost him $40 for one window that was shattered.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/22369-diy-make-your-own-front-window-plexiglass-or-lexan/?hl=%2Blexan+%2Bwindshield#entry326016

I remember this old post, this guy made one out of plexi. The pics won't load, but he provided pretty good written detail. I remember being amazed - it looked perfect. And - it cost him $40 for one window that was shattered.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/22369-diy-make-your-own-front-window-plexiglass-or-lexan/?hl=%2Blexan+%2Bwindshield#entry326016

I did read this and if I just needed to replace glass that is what I'd do, but unfortunately the top frame pieces are bent up pretty bad and it would be MUCH easier to find a used entire assembly.

The other option is to try and bend back the frame pieces and then bend plexi or lexan like the guy did in the link. Has anyone had luck with bending aluminum like this? Is the trick to get it REALLY hot? I tried with just a hand held torch and I ended up just making a mess of the top center windshield piece.

Making the 200 response windshield work would be easier than fixing your current one. If it is too wide you can narrow the center piece which should not be too difficult

• Like 1