Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

My Happy Ending... 2000 VLX mods

cherry ride

Looks incredible. Great work! Our boats are nearly identical, but I'd say your gel looks a little better than mine. Looks like I have some work to do! We got new skins last year and "flipped" the location of the grey and white on each cushion.

That is awesome! On the swivel...did you have to move the seat out from the arm rest? I'd like to do a swivel/raise mod to my Sunsetter Lxi but fear that the seat won't have enough room for the swivel. Do you have any more pics of this?

Edited by braindamage
  • Like 1

That is awesome! On the swivel...did you have to move the seat out from the arm rest? I'd like to do a swivel/raise mod to my Sunsetter Lxi but fear that the seat won't have enough room for the swivel. Do you have any more pics of this?

Yes, I'd like to know as well for my LXi.

Thanks for the comments guys. This is the best before and after I could make if the side of the hull. The lighting is different but you can kind of see the oxidation on the sides before. This also shows the iPhone mount. The brand is "bracketron" part # BT1-642-2. If you google that part number you can find it on eBay for $8-10. After some testing it holds the phone really well and is fully adjustable but unfortunately I think I will need to put a couple screws through the suction cup mount into the deck to hold it long term.

post-927-0-30233000-1430492287_thumb.jpg

Edited by cherry ride

Here is another pick of the seat in the swiveled position. I took the cushion off so you can see the new bolt holes. I was able to keep it centered to the steering wheel. I just have to slide the seat forward before swiveling around. It just barely brushes the arm rest and the steering wheel. I think that is same as the newer stock ones just due to the geometry.

post-927-0-49294900-1430492599_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Really nice job, Congrats, but I'm really wondering what the spoon on the floor in the first pic served for :biggrin: !!!!!

Cheers! :clap:

Funny comment. I actually used that and wrapped some microfiber cloth around it when cleaning some of the older vinyl. It helped dig in a little and saved my fingers from soreness. There were a few black spot that I think we're early stages of mildew that took a little extra scrubbing.
  • 2 months later...

Your boat and mods look great! Any updates on how these mods are working out on the water? I also have a 21 foot 2000 VLX so I am especially interested in how the seat swivel turned out. Any thoughts or additional info on the rudder and boost box would be great as well.

Your boat and mods look great! Any updates on how these mods are working out on the water? I also have a 21 foot 2000 VLX so I am especially interested in how the seat swivel turned out. Any thoughts or additional info on the rudder and boost box would be great as well.

Thanks

The seat swivel is working great. Very stable, just the right height and slides and swivels great with no interferences.

The iPhone holder I ended up putting a couple screws through the suction cup to make it hold long term.

Rudder and steering is a huge improvement. Drives like a new boat with one finger turn.

The boost box was a great surprise. I really surprised how well is senses start and stop. I really makes it more enjoyable not having to mess with volume. I'm not sure if the newer ones have this feature built in, but it's worth the money IMO.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Nice updates, some good ideas in there! It's awesome to see some of the older bu's out there still looking new with a little sweat equity put into them.

Thanks

The seat swivel is working great. Very stable, just the right height and slides and swivels great with no interferences.

The iPhone holder I ended up putting a couple screws through the suction cup to make it hold long term.

Rudder and steering is a huge improvement. Drives like a new boat with one finger turn.

The boost box was a great surprise. I really surprised how well is senses start and stop. I really makes it more enjoyable not having to mess with volume. I'm not sure if the newer ones have this feature built in, but it's worth the money IMO.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Awesome updates. I'm about to order a seat swivel for my LXi, going to measure tonight then hit the buy button. I'm working on my steering as well. I'm going to rebuild my rudder box, but need to decide how to drop the rudder while on the trailer. There's a few threads around on how to do that I recall... boost box is cool, probably do that too!

I ordered the swivel for my lxi and it doesn't have room for the swing. I returned it and bought the slide and swivel. Im hoping to mount it so I can slide away from the side when I want to swivel. We'll see whether it works

• Like 1

AWESOME work, boat looks great and I'm sure it's a good feeling as well.

Question on the mirror/tower arm. Which one did you buy on the diywake.com website? Did you have to buy the adapter as well? I have my CIPA 180 on the windshield now but and considering buying that mirror arm because its a decent price.

Thanks!

Edited by That Guy

I should have said I'm about to order the slide and swivel as the OP did. Hope it works in your LXi, so it will in mine too.

I'm not sure when I'll get to install. My next week is crazy at work then I'm off for two weeks of vacation. I most likely won't get to install till mid August.