Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Be safe out there folks

TCdave

I find night boating very difficult to judge distance . Also easy to miss things just to dark for me. I go slow at night. But then I can as an old gray hair. :biggrin:

• Like 2

We take night cruises pretty often. Boat never goes over 1000rpms though. Sad to see this guy got a little too much liquid bravado and ended up not cheating the reaper.

this is always one of my biggest fears with my boat on the lift. no matter how well lit your dock/lift are it only takes one alcohol infused dummy to wreck everything you worked for.

^^^^^Definitely. Insurance will cover property damage, don't put innocent people's lives at risk if you choose to get bombed up and go for a rip at 4AM.

• Like 2

I first learned to ski on Lake Norman in the early 1970's. My grandfather had a lake cottage there that we visited every summer from Indiana. Very sad story.

How many more this summer? Don't let it be you, I know I'm going to remember this and try extra hard to keep it safe. The lakes we boat on take at least one life and usually more every summer.

I first learned to ski on Lake Norman in the early 1970's. My grandfather had a lake cottage there that we visited every summer from Indiana. Very sad story.

Lake Norman does not have a good reputation for being safe...Is it crowded?

^^^who cares? A guy with kids died. Won't insurance cover that?

Yes insurance would cover the damage and obviously I feel for the family/friends that lost a loved one. But would you want to walk down at night to your dock and witness that situation? My point is leave the beer on the dock if your driving the boat.

• Like 2

Can anyone tell me the rules about drinking and driving a boat in TN? I can't find this anywhere...

In Tennessee, a person may be convicted of a Boating Under the Influence offense (BUI) if they operate or physically control a boat or other water vessel while under the influence of any intoxicant or while their blood alcohol content is .08% or more.

In Tennessee, a person may be convicted of a Boating Under the Influence offense (BUI) if they operate or physically control a boat or other water vessel while under the influence of any intoxicant or while their blood alcohol content is .08% or more.

Where did you find this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can anyone tell me the rules about drinking and driving a boat in TN? I can't find this anywhere...

Pretty much the same as a car except the open container portion. If you would score a DUI you will score a BUI.

From personal experience, it is illegal. If you get stopped for a safety check and they see open containers on your boat, they will "check your registration". From there, if they even think the driver has been drinking, they will put a life jacket on you and have you board their boat for a sobriety test. The test isn't too difficult to pass but it will make you very nervous even if you just had a couple.

This all happened to me two years ago. I was drinking some beers in the afternoon and quit around 6pm, stayed out past dark to watch the fireworks. I had about 1/4 of a red solo cup of wine while watching the fireworks. Then got pulled over for "waking TWRA" in a normal spot that wakes can be made. I had a driver during the day with the thought of me sobering up that night to drive the boat to the ramp while others on the boat enjoyed the festivities.

From personal experience, it is illegal. If you get stopped for a safety check and they see open containers on your boat, they will "check your registration". From there, if they even think the driver has been drinking, they will put a life jacket on you and have you board their boat for a sobriety test. The test isn't too difficult to pass but it will make you very nervous even if you just had a couple.

This all happened to me two years ago. I was drinking some beers in the afternoon and quit around 6pm, stayed out past dark to watch the fireworks. I had about 1/4 of a red solo cup of wine while watching the fireworks. Then got pulled over for "waking TWRA" in a normal spot that wakes can be made. I had a driver during the day with the thought of me sobering up that night to drive the boat to the ramp while others on the boat enjoyed the festivities.

Good to know. So are you comfortable with 1 beer every two hours?