Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Window Tint This Week... How Dark? Pics?

triscadek

I have a guy gonna tint my windows this week, typically on my truck, with the hot Oklahoma sun, I like 5% tint all the way around and have no issues usually at night. The boat is a little different for trying to hide behind the windshield on cold evenings jetting for the boat dock. BUT, I think regardless I was gonna go with a 20% so its somewhat transparent and gives a classy, subtle touch to the boat. Im just curious how much more transparent tint will be given there is no roof etc.... Anyone have pics of theirs?

Here are 3 crappy images of 30%. Sorry for the quality they were taken with a friend iphone for whatever reason they came out like crap. Ill post some new ones this weekend.

Overall I am extremely happy with my tint. Cost was only 165$ and the guy came out and did it at my house. At night I am ALWAYS sitting on the booster position of the chair so the tint made zero difference in navigating the water at night. When the sun was out it felt completely natural as if nothing had changed. I can't believe it took me my 3rd boat to actually break down and tint the windshield. I think anyone is going to be happy with the tint as long as they are within the 20-30%. If your between the 20-30% you will find that it looks really dark, plenty of light can bleed through but overall it just looks great and doesn't effect vision at all.

qjuzHfc.png

tXm4mnu.png

LKv0ENw.png

are you doing it for looks or functionality?

A little bit of both actually. The lake glare sucks at times!

I went 20% on mine.

20150316_174642_zps94zcy6lc.jpg

Wow! I like that. Looks a tad on the light side. I think Ill do 15% or 20%. Itll be one of the two. Typically at night Im up over the windshield anyway.

I didn't tint ours, as it was done already, but at 5% I can say it is difficult to see through depending on the light/time of day. I find myself looking over the windshield most of the time which cab be a pain depending upon wind and spray. If I had a choice I would do the 20%.

IMG_2432.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

I'm planning to do 20%, seems to be the sweet spot between looks and functionality. I've driven boats with 5-10% and was miserable trying to have any effective field of view still and after dusk it meant you had no choice but to stand in order to see. As for 30%, it just wasn't effective enough to be useful and it looked kinda worthless so for me, 20% seems to be my happy place. I'm shopping around now to see how much to get it done and someone who can do a clean job.. :)

I did 20 on my last boat and have 5 on the current boat, mistake. 5 is too much imo and when the windshield is open and the 5% is doubled up its a complete huge blind spot to your left side. Here's my old boat with 20 and then my current boat with 5, the difference isn't much from this angle but inside the boat certainly is.

IMAG0318_zpsd56qgxxm.jpg

image_zps0b4178f5.jpg

• Like 2

I did 20 on my last boat and have 5 on the current boat, mistake. 5 is too much imo and when the windshield is open and the 5% is doubled up its a complete huge blind spot to your left side. Here's my old boat with 20 and then my current boat with 5, the difference isn't much from this angle but inside the boat certainly is.

IMAG0318_zpsd56qgxxm.jpg

image_zps0b4178f5.jpg

Love the look of your current boat!!!!

• Like 2

Love the look of your current boat!!!!

Thanks, but concerning the tint though, keep in mind how much sun is in the first picture. There isn't THAT much diffence between the two as far as curb appeal. I'd go 20 if I had it to do all over again.

• Like 3

20% all day and even 30% is great looking. 5% I'll leave to the guys still wearing flat brimmed hats and tribal tattoos.

HAHA touche!!! Looks like Ill be going 20%. Appt is at 3pm tomorrow. Thanks guys!

Ill post a pic for MrNate! :biggrin:

Edited by triscadek
  • Like 2

Love it! Mind if I ask about how much it set you bacK? Trying to prioritize my mods right now, don't want to go broke before I get to having gas money to play with it :)