Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2015 New ISSUE with Touch Screen -

Ok, you guys are really making me nervous!! My '14 VLX has 18 hrs on it, and the start/stop button is on the MTC( although I do have a key as well). So far I haven't noticed any glitches at all.

To answer someone from above, yes, the software updates are super easy with the new models, and relatively straightforward with the older models. You should be able to get them from your Malibu dealer.

***Caveat to all this : Screw something up with an update, and don't blame the dealer or malibu for it not working. _You_ are the one asking to do-it-yourself.

....popping open the can of worms...

Sunscapefan, as long as you bring the key back up u will be fine. The bottom 1/3 of my MTC screen went out. Power up the dash and turn the key.

The latest 2015 Firmware is 022015 if anyone is curious. As you can probably tell, the firmware version is simply the date it was released. So the latest release was on Feb 20th.

Is the firmware version publicly available or do I need to contact the dealer? I'm not positive what version mine is on.... It's a 2011, should I be on the version posted above?

There are pro's and con's to everything... and nice thing is, there are choices for people out there. Having a three year warranty gives some peace of mind... from past experience when there is a hardware issue it tends to be the first year of ownership, my 2011 had the MTC replaced after 4 months and never missed a beat after this and 254 hours before I sold it and new owner had 345 when he sold it last year. I do get a laugh when a computer glitch comes up on this site and there is always one Axis owner that seems to have to justify there purchase... I mean seriously, many here could of bought the Axis and did not for certain reasons. I guess I just never feel like I need to justify my purchase if another boat brand has an issue.... if you use these boats enough at some point any boat brand or model will have its day of a problem, its just the way it is.

I assume this was aimed at my offhand comment? You mistook the spirit in which the post was written. It was in commiseration with the OP. In these new boats electronic issues can take you off the water and no one wishes that to happen for themselves or others. I even tried to add some levity to the comment by following with a depreciating comment on the short comings of the Axis lineup.

As to assuming I was trying to "justify" my purchase. Your tone and use of the word implies I am in some way unhappy/embarrassed to have purchased an Axis and jealous of other brands. I assure you I am happy owning an Axis and have no thoughts of upgrading to a holier-than-thou Malibu.

I accept and expect that there will be more computer related glitches as we involve more computers in the boats....just like cars. The thread was intended to see if anybody had something else go on similar, and to see what and if they were able to fix.

How do I get a Key by-pass switch (or something similar). My 2011 does not have this feature and I often wonder how i would get the boat running if my MTC failed.

I assume this was aimed at my offhand comment? You mistook the spirit in which the post was written. It was in commiseration with the OP. In these new boats electronic issues can take you off the water and no one wishes that to happen for themselves or others. I even tried to add some levity to the comment by following with a depreciating comment on the short comings of the Axis lineup.As to assuming I was trying to "justify" my purchase. Your tone and use of the word implies I am in some way unhappy/embarrassed to have purchased an Axis and jealous of other brands. I assure you I am happy owning an Axis and have no thoughts of upgrading to a holier-than-thou Malibu.

I don't think Fmans comment was directed at you or anyone particular. He doesn't go that route. While I agree with him, there are pros and cons. He's a little more forgiving than I am when it comes to this kind of tech not working or glut hung.

In the end, we all buy what we like that falls in our budget. One of my buddies could have easily bought a bu, but chose axis simply for the switch aspect. To his point, in ten years, his switch will be cheaper to replace than a whole LCD screen. I still like the touch panel, even though I may curse at it sometimes :)

I assume this was aimed at my offhand comment? You mistook the spirit in which the post was written. It was in commiseration with the OP. In these new boats electronic issues can take you off the water and no one wishes that to happen for themselves or others. I even tried to add some levity to the comment by following with a depreciating comment on the short comings of the Axis lineup.

As to assuming I was trying to "justify" my purchase. Your tone and use of the word implies I am in some way unhappy/embarrassed to have purchased an Axis and jealous of other brands. I assure you I am happy owning an Axis and have no thoughts of upgrading to a holier-than-thou Malibu.

My first thought was why even post a comment like that in first place? It just does nobody any good here.. especially someone who is trying to figure of what is going on with his boat. And no, I was not depreciating the Axis brand, as I have mentioned before I think Axis is a nice value based boat, and serves it purpose well in the Malibu line up... to each is own, just not for me. I have no hard feelings about your comment, I just had to wonder what the point of it was in the first place... thanks for the clarification. And another chuckle, "holier-than-thou Malibu"... that just made my day :-)

Your right there was no value in the post. It was just a flippant comment.

I was hoping someone would like the holier-than-though phrase.

To get back on track was there a solution to the screen malfunction?

• Like 2

To get back on track was there a solution to the screen malfunction?

According to my dealership, the firmware that was flashed on mine was from last September, they have since released a number of fixes to resolve these issues and it does not appear to be hardware problems. Thus, they've updated the firmware, have not been able to re-create the problem and we'll have to just wait and see if things work or if we still have problems. I know I'm going to be very sensitive to this since I don't want to have to pay to replace this as soon as my warranty runs out, so I'll be the noisy wheel between now and my warranty running out to make sure this isn't my problem...

Hope others have success with this being resolved -

• Like 2

According to my dealership, the firmware that was flashed on mine was from last September, they have since released a number of fixes to resolve these issues and it does not appear to be hardware problems. Thus, they've updated the firmware, have not been able to re-create the problem and we'll have to just wait and see if things work or if we still have problems. I know I'm going to be very sensitive to this since I don't want to have to pay to replace this as soon as my warranty runs out, so I'll be the noisy wheel between now and my warranty running out to make sure this isn't my problem...

Hope others have success with this being resolved -

Chessie will take care of you. Keep after them, if needed, but probably will not need to. I had similar issues with our 2013 firmware. They ended up replacing the hardware/viper box also. Have not had issue since. Have you gotten your boat back?

• Like 2

What version did they install? Can you check on your MTC, just curious if we have the same version now. My dealer just updated mine yesterday.

As soon as I get my boat back I'll verify and post, they are still tracing down a few other problems with the stereo including bluetooth problems, feedback in the tower speakers, and plumbing for my bow ballast. Fingers crossed I'll have it back in a week.... Yes, I'm starting to get impatient..

Chessie will take care of you. Keep after them, if needed, but probably will not need to. I had similar issues with our 2013 firmware. They ended up replacing the hardware/viper box also. Have not had issue since. Have you gotten your boat back?

John, l agree that Chessie is taking care of it, Rob has been on top of it from the moment I mentioned the problem and has been keeping me up to date. He spent a few days back and forth with with the guys down in Tennessee - my boats actual build date was Sept last year which means they've had a few more months with the software so hopefully the upgrade resolves this. I'm sure we'll be getting a few hours on her and know for sure before long, but Chessie has assured me they'll support me no matter what which I appreciate...

• Like 1

What was the final resolution Shodan?

This ended up being a bad main screen and computer portion. Dealer said the swap fixed it. Maybe a sledge hammer :-)

• 2 weeks later...

What version did they install? Can you check on your MTC, just curious if we have the same version now. My dealer just updated mine yesterday.

Feb 2015 was the date. .. I forgot to mark the explicit version down before I left. We ran it 14 hours this weekend, no issues with the screens at this point, and in fact it seems more responsive and accurate that before. Fingers crossed this holds true.

Dealer also said typically firmware is updated by dealers only because there is risk of bricKing the hardware. That said, he said he'd send any updates with instructions if it came to needing another update for me so...

Mine works great after 25.5 hrs and knock wood. did 5.5 hrs yesterday of crazy surfing. had 8 hrs last weekend at Southern Surfest. works great and love it.

Looks like we got the same updates, I am also Feb now. I'm looking forward to testing out the new version. Unfortunately boat has been a garage queen last few weeks, hoping to get out soon. I did notice while entering rider presets the heater hi low seems to have no delay it in now when toggling from high to low setting, that is a good sign.

• Like 1

Looks like we got the same updates, I am also Feb now. I'm looking forward to testing out the new version. Unfortunately boat has been a garage queen last few weeks, hoping to get out soon. I did notice while entering rider presets the heater hi low seems to have no delay it in now when toggling from high to low setting, that is a good sign.

The first thing I noticed when i "booted up the boat" (can't believe I just said that) was the new splash screen on both the maliview and the touchscreen which had not been there previously. And yes, there was previously delay's in the touch screen response for me, esp when trying to load profiles which was no longer there.

Good and Bad News thus far -

MY dealer has run up to the dock 3 times, replaced and repaired cables, and it is still doing it (Good News). They are pulling a new main component (I think main screen controls the rest) out of their boat to put in mine to test. IF that works Keep theirs until a new one comes in.

More to follow.

The 7 inch is the brain that controls the entire system. It also has the viper built into it so no separate module now.