Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2015 New ISSUE with Touch Screen -

I love the new tech and confident it will eventually get worked out. I have co-owned 2 different Txi's from 12 on with the touch screen and we always have weird stuff now and again. Been into the dealer and updates applied etc, but seems like we have most our glitches when the touch screen get in the direct sunlight for a while. Not suggesting the 15's have that issue, but our 12 and 14 both had non-responsive touch screens with too much sun exposure.

One of the reasons I went with Axis. No electronics. It almost makes up for tower and half windshield......almost.

Now if they would just add power wedge, better vinyl, new dash, more gel options, full windshield, G3.2 tower, it would be on my radar....oh wait, then it would be a Malibu! ;)

• Like 4

Now if they would just add power wedge, better vinyl, new dash, more gel options, full windshield, G3.2 tower, it would be on my radar....oh wait, then it would be a Malibu! ;)

They've already made the tower LOOK more like an axis with the black coating.... And according to one, shakes less and doesn't speak like the new G4. (I still want to upgrade though :) )

Edited by wakebrdr94

They water test the boats, but can't leave their prototypes in the sun for a few days then run tests. I also don't know about you guys, but I've never put a hose or pressure washer to my dash...in any of my boats....ever.

Now if they would just add power wedge, better vinyl, new dash, more gel options, full windshield, G3.2 tower, it would be on my radar....

Yeah... all that too.

They fixed a couple of my pet peeves, really, when they did the new interior and changed the bimini. The new interiors are much better, I've accepted the windshield and tower. I really did wish it had a power wedge, but I can live without it.

But it's the dash that's keeping me from an Axis. It's like Playskool 'My First Boat Dashboard'

I just can't get past it.

It's night and day sitting in a Malibu and Axis. Both of them will perform on the water, but imo it's like having a BMW compared to a Honda. Axis just feels cheap inside to me, maybe I am one of the fools who pays extra for the bling... but I like it and everyone should feel good sitting in there boat. I also like the touch screen, rider presets, Zero off gps, etc.. To each is own, on my third wakesetter, aside from a glitch here and there the computers have always performed well. I would not be surprised if there are other software updates coming this year, it's a new system and there will be some bugs to work out.

A note concerning software updates. For 2015 the software updates are now labeled with the release date for the software. This of course makes it easy for everyone to see how old the software is, and provide a stimulus for them to check on an update. Updates, just like the ones you get from Microsoft labeled "critical update", are very important for seamless operation of the boat electronics.

As before, treat it as a computer and you'll relate better to it, understand how it works more, and have a realistic expectation from it.

Peter :)

• Like 2

To be fair, my realistic expectation is if I pay 80-100k + for a boat, car, whatever, I expect it to operate as advertised, and without flaw. But then we get into the whole boat vs car blah blah. That goes for Any manufacturer, not just Malibu

Funny you used Microsoft as your example, that's why I bought a Mac :)

Edited by wakebrdr94
  • Like 4

It's night and day sitting in a Malibu and Axis. Both of them will perform on the water, but imo it's like having a BMW compared to a Honda. Axis just feels cheap inside to me, maybe I am one of the fools who pays extra for the bling... but I like it and everyone should feel good sitting in there boat. I also like the touch screen, rider presets, Zero off gps, etc.. To each is own, on my third wakesetter, aside from a glitch here and there the computers have always performed well. I would not be surprised if there are other software updates coming this year, it's a new system and there will be some bugs to work out.

I definitely like amenities. But I also like some level of mechanical operation to it because I can change a switch for $5. I can replace a single gauge for $100.

So it's a tossup. I suppose it's like owning an Audi - I'd rock one, but only as long as it's covered by warranty. lol

The Axis, to me, is like a Jeep. It's design is cool in the form of functionality. It was built for a purpose.

But that dash... eh.

A note concerning software updates. For 2015 the software updates are now labeled with the release date for the software. This of course makes it easy for everyone to see how old the software is, and provide a stimulus for them to check on an update. Updates, just like the ones you get from Microsoft labeled "critical update", are very important for seamless operation of the boat electronics.

As before, treat it as a computer and you'll relate better to it, understand how it works more, and have a realistic expectation from it.

Peter :)

Peter,

Are these firmware updates something that we can upload and install on our own? I doubt its very hard, I would like the ability to check the Malibu's website and be able to download the firmware updates, throw them on a flash drive and take them to my boat in the future. Is this something you think we can expect in the future? Where can I get my hands on the latest updates?

Great Question - My boat sits on a lift with full cover (Added side skirts today) so I want to ensure that I can do some of this on my own.

Good and Bad News thus far -

MY dealer has run up to the dock 3 times, replaced and repaired cables, and it is still doing it (Good News). They are pulling a new main component (I think main screen controls the rest) out of their boat to put in mine to test. IF that works Keep theirs until a new one comes in.

More to follow.

I am hoping it is a simple glitch and won't affect anybody else's boats. They are running up there again to do some swapping out and I guess we will know more then.

To be fair, my realistic expectation is if I pay 80-100k + for a boat, car, whatever, I expect it to operate as advertised, and without flaw. But then we get into the whole boat vs car blah blah. That goes for Any manufacturer, not just Malibu

Funny you used Microsoft as your example, that's why I bought a Mac :)

Are these boats not performing? 27 hours now of hard use and one glitch... acceptable in my book. Boat is amazing, and rocks one of the best wakeboard and surf waves on the market today. It blows the doors of my 2013 in performance, wake, size, amenities, everything.... home run in my book for Malibu.

I definitely like amenities. But I also like some level of mechanical operation to it because I can change a switch for $5. I can replace a single gauge for $100.

So it's a tossup. I suppose it's like owning an Audi - I'd rock one, but only as long as it's covered by warranty. lol

The Axis, to me, is like a Jeep. It's design is cool in the form of functionality. It was built for a purpose.

But that dash... eh.

There are pro's and con's to everything... and nice thing is, there are choices for people out there. Having a three year warranty gives some peace of mind... from past experience when there is a hardware issue it tends to be the first year of ownership, my 2011 had the MTC replaced after 4 months and never missed a beat after this and 254 hours before I sold it and new owner had 345 when he sold it last year. I do get a laugh when a computer glitch comes up on this site and there is always one Axis owner that seems to have to justify there purchase... I mean seriously, many here could of bought the Axis and did not for certain reasons. I guess I just never feel like I need to justify my purchase if another boat brand has an issue.... if you use these boats enough at some point any boat brand or model will have its day of a problem, its just the way it is.

• Like 3

In my 12 hrs of operation I had one freeze up of the screens. I power cycled the battery switch and everything was fine after that. I suspect there will be little software glitches here and there that as they come to light will be addressed with firmware updates. No different than any other computer hardware manufacturer. If they waited to ship products until they were 100% bug free, we wouldn't have many tech gadgets.

Edited by Cory
  • Like 2

There are pro's and con's to everything... and nice thing is, there are choices for people out there. Having a three year warranty gives some peace of mind... from past experience when there is a hardware issue it tends to be the first year of ownership, my 2011 had the MTC replaced after 4 months and never missed a beat after this and 254 hours before I sold it and new owner had 345 when he sold it last year. I do get a laugh when a computer glitch comes up on this site and there is always one Axis owner that seems to have to justify there purchase... I mean seriously, many here could of bought the Axis and did not for certain reasons. I guess I just never feel like I need to justify my purchase if another boat brand has an issue.... if you use these boats enough at some point any boat brand or model will have its day of a problem, its just the way it is.

Very true. I played with a '15 and it was siiiiiiick. I definitely love them, and I can't wait to drive one this season.

And you're correct, the warranty makes it a wash when you buy one new.

I guess I'm looking at it from my standpoint... it's going to be a long time until I can man up and spend $100k on a new boat. So for me, used is the way to go. And used for me is after that thing is out of warranty. I still remember the MUX panels and the Make It Right campaign, so I know that Malibu does take care of it's owners. I just have this mental stigma about "if it breaks, can I fix it?" and if the answer is no, I get nervous. So it's really more of a "me" thing, than a "I think you're crazy for buying it" thing. :)

Are these boats not performing? 27 hours now of hard use and one glitch... acceptable in my book. Boat is amazing, and rocks one of the best wakeboard and surf waves on the market today. It blows the doors of my 2013 in performance, wake, size, amenities, everything.... home run in my book for Malibu.

I'm not saying the boat is not sweet, I just have high expectations. I would suspect that this is exactly the reason the start/stop button was removed from the touch screen. You are absolutely right, pros and cons.