Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Pylon Bimini

happyfeet

Anybody run a bimini like the one pictured below on their Bu? I find it might be perfect what I plan on picking up Saturday. I can only find pictures of 2 MC's with them. I realize they might not be for everyone, but the no drilling part sounds nice.

IMG_3393_zpslauk1kmr.jpg

Looks like it is not a fabric type Bimini but a hard shell.

1st though is it looked like one of those plastic outdoor tables, but it couldn't be, could it.

Those are from BFI and have been discontinued for a few years now. They are soft material on an SS frame. I've been planning on building one for a while now but have only gotten as far as modifying my 2 piece fly-high the way I wanted to do it.

In other words I like it.

Pretty sure it is fabric. I believe it was called a rag top. Supposedly even though they don't look it they were quite sturdy even at speed. I think you can also adjust the height on the fly. I like the idea of no poles or straps in your field of vision. I've just never seen one on a Bu before. Nor can I find them for sale anywhere.

Those are from BFI and have been discontinued for a few years now. They are soft material on an SS frame. I've been planning on building one for a while now but have only gotten as far as modifying my 2 piece fly-high the way I wanted to do it.

In other words I like it.

I wonder if they have "leftover" stock! Seems people would either love it or hate it.

The boat in your picture is for sale on TT. :whistle:

And the last version before being dropped had a severe arch from front to back that I didn't care for as much. Flatter the better for that one IMO. Might get more flapping, but looks much more sporty.

Edited by jk13

Good find Jk! I just found it in a google search. Maybe he will let just the bimini go....

I also agree....the flatter the better.

Edited by happyfeet

Hmm... I am looking for something like this for my Tantrum. Was going to use a traditional 3 bow Bimini but will have to drill. I like this option. Keep us updated for what you end up finding out.

Actually just found this on google: http://www.boardstop.com/product_info.php?products_id=2440

Edited by solorex

Just talked to Mike from Barefoot International. He said they discontinued them because they were too difficult to take on and off. They were meant to be put on and left there and the general public felt differently. They worked great at the ski school because they never took them off. He said they were virtually hurricane proof. I think I would still buy one even with the removal difficulties. I'm guessing boardstop.com is behind on updating inventory along with the main page of their website.

• 2 weeks later...

We just have ours going thru the bimini. Had a local shop cut the hole and trim around around it so it can't spread or rip. Downfall is you have to take the skylon apart to raise or lower the bimini.

Not sure who made them but there used to be a couple on Sammamish years ago. They looked nice but had a lot of movement when the boat was moving, especially when pulling a rider.

I've been trying to find a pre-owned one with little luck. I found one on craigslist but it was already sold, and then another on a boat that was being sold but he wouldn't separate. I'm okay with a little movement so I don't have to drill any holes in the new to us boat. I actually prefer the look over a standard bimini. just looks clean without all the straps and poles going everywhere.

Edited by happyfeet

I agree on the look and lack of hardware. Good luck! If I move forward with mine I'll put up a thread on it.

Plans:

--Clamp lower half of Fly-HIgh to the pylon using my boom clamp. Had a bottom section made with clamp relief cuts already. Debating using the existing drill-through tow eye or buying one of newer clamp-on swivels for skiing.

--Clamp bimini to top of the lower section so total height is just less than garage door. Bimini can be used with or without Fly-High top section, and left on pretty much all the time.

Of course bimini frame would be custom welded and we'd have to sew up a cover. That's the part I haven't had time for.

I agree on the look and lack of hardware. Good luck! If I move forward with mine I'll put up a thread on it.

Plans:

--Clamp lower half of Fly-HIgh to the pylon using my boom clamp. Had a bottom section made with clamp relief cuts already. Debating using the existing drill-through tow eye or buying one of newer clamp-on swivels for skiing.

--Clamp bimini to top of the lower section so total height is just less than garage door. Bimini can be used with or without Fly-High top section, and left on pretty much all the time.

Of course bimini frame would be custom welded and we'd have to sew up a cover. That's the part I haven't had time for.

JK, that sounds like an awesome project. Do you have a photo of the clamp you had made?

I'll be using my BFI boom clamp on the bottom of the lower section. Had a friend make two slot cuts in the new SS bottom section of my Fly-High. Like this, but add another slot on the opposing side (not mine):

post-12034-0-70609500-1431015934_thumb.j

Have not received it back yet, it's been sitting in his shed since last summer.

Have not figured out the top clamp for the bimini mount yet, probably get a short pipe that fits tightly over and do a single slot (all the way through) and bolt clamp, like an old bicycle seat post.

Edited by jk13

I have one. Bought it on CL. I like it but it is a huge cumbersome thing. It folds up in thirds but is difficult to maneuver. It is well built tho. I deal with it by leaving it suspended from lines in the top of my lift canopy. Then when i want it, I just lower it down onto the support rods.

For anybody that uses it with an extended pylon, how do you mount yours? It doesn't fit the pylon diameter. I like ithe Bimini up high, but worry about the torque on the boat pylon if I have the ext pylon sitting up high on top of the Bimini clamp. Any suggestions?

Woodshed

Edited by Woodshed

I've been trying to find a pre-owned one with little luck. I found one on craigslist but it was already sold, and then another on a boat that was being sold but he wouldn't separate. I'm okay with a little movement so I don't have to drill any holes in the new to us boat. I actually prefer the look over a standard bimini. just looks clean without all the straps and poles going everywhere.

I said a LOT of movement. Everytime someone would cut back & forth, the pylon not only moved side to side, but it spins slightly. You don't really notice that until you have a bimini mounted to it & a 1/2" at the pylon turns into 6" on the outside.

As for getting over drilling holes, you can count on getting over that. Ballast, speedos, towers, stereos, transom LEDs, etc. There are dozens of mods we do to our boat that require a cut or hole or two. I get the fear, had it myself, but got over it with my first tower install. In the end it was a really silly fear. The tower install went down fine.

I had a low mounted bimini when I bought the boat. Now it's on top of the tower & I love it soooo much more. I don't have to duck under the bimini, nothing to knock my head on, just makes the boat feel so much bigger.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Not against drilling holes completely. Will be adding pop up cleats soon (not sure I can live without them). I just really prefer not having all the straps and bars in your field of view. A tower will not being going a 99' Corvette! Just saying....

I had one for about five years on my SSLXi. I really liked it but it was very difficult to attach and remove, so I just left it up. When removed and folded up, it tended to leave marks on my carpet to scrub out so I had to wrap it in moving blankets. BFI marketed it as having the capability to be left up while trailering so this is what I did. However, after about five years, it was beginning to show major signs of wear in the hinges. It also put a lot of force on my pylon, causing it to loosen. I had to retighten the base of the pylon under the floor several times during the season.

I finally removed it last week and installed a tower with an integrated bimini. While I didn't really want a tower, I wanted tower racks because I'm installing an automatic ballast system in my rear and center lockers. I just hauled the old BFI T-top bimini off to the recyclers.

I don't know. That XTP that Dare installed this winter would look pretty fast just sitting there! And be really practical when it comes to mounting a bimini, racks, & speakers.

Not against drilling holes completely. Will be adding pop up cleats soon (not sure I can live without them). I just really prefer not having all the straps and bars in your field of view. A tower will not being going a 99' Corvette! Just saying....

I do have a soft spot for the XTP tower. One of, if not the best looking towers in my opinion. Still don't think I can put a tower on a 99' Corvette...XTP or not.