Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

For those who tow with a 1/2 ton, how much sag?

DAI

For those who tow with a 1/2 ton, how much compression (squat) do you get on the rear in inches approximately with the trailer hooked up? Particularly interested in those who tow with Fords, but any make of pickup will help.

The reason I ask is I have to get a new hitch prior to picking up the boat, but want to get an appoximate amount of drop needed. I know there are adjustable height hitches out there, but in a case I can only find a fixed (farm store) I want to go in with the idea of the the drop I need (if any).

Thanks.

My Avalanche isn't really a pickup in every sense of the word. Coil springs, 1 piece body, etc. But it sagged an inch or two, and more when the truck & boat were loaded for a week out. I installed the Firestone air bags in the rear & run about 5 psi in them. Now have almost no sag at all.

I bought this one last year and have been happy with it. I needed 3" raise for going down the road, and 1" drop to pop the curb to make sure I don't scrape the prop protection on the trailer when I park it in the back yard.

http://www.amazon.com/Manufacturing-45901-Channel-Style-Adjustable-Tongue/dp/B004SMGAIW/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1430148453&sr=8-15&keywords=adjustable+trailer+hitches

Maybe 1.5 - 2" at the hitch on mine (400-500lbs tongue weight). Which is going to mean nothing for your Ford since I've got a 2WD coil sprung Ram and a lighter boat.Do yourself a favor and buy a decent adjustable hitchhttps://www.andersenhitches.com/Catalog/6-rapid-hitch.aspx

Thanks. Looks like Amazon carries and prime will get it to me in time for the weekend. Just need to see now if the 6" will be overkill and go with the 4"

For those who tow with a 1/2 ton, how much compression (squat) do you get on the rear in inches approximately with the trailer hooked up? Particularly interested in those who tow with Fords, but any make of pickup will help.

The reason I ask is I have to get a new hitch prior to picking up the boat, but want to get an appoximate amount of drop needed. I know there are adjustable height hitches out there, but in a case I can only find a fixed (farm store) I want to go in with the idea of the the drop I need (if any).

Thanks.

Ford F150, 4x4. No kit.

The truck looks level with the boat hooked up (that must be a 2 or 3" sag). I need a 2" RAISE for the trailer to be level (extreme trailer).

Ford F150, 4x4. No kit.

The truck looks level with the boat hooked up (that must be a 2 or 3" sag). I need a 2" RAISE for the trailer to be level (extreme trailer).

That's interesting, I was automatically assuming a drop (boatmate trailer). I guess I'll see tonight when I bring it home (the truck). Edited by DAI

That's interesting, I was automatically assuming a drop (boatmate trailer). I guess I'll see tonight when I bring it home (the truck).

That would be my assumption too. Mine is set at a 2" drop with a boatmate trailer and I always thought that my 2wd sat a little lower than most 4wd pickups

I don't think my little nephew really helps with a height measurement, but I can see that the ball is set around what would be considered a 2" drop (drop is measured from the top of the receiver tube)

post-22501-0-19665300-1430154181_thumb.j

Edited by oldjeep

When I towed my VLX on Extreme trailer last year with a 2014 chevy 1500 4x4, I used a 3/4 RAISE and it ended up being level after about 2" of sag on the truck.

That would be my assumption too. Mine is set at a 2" drop with a boatmate trailer and I always thought that my 2wd sat a little lower than most 4wd pickups

I don't think my little nephew really helps with a height measurement, but I can see that the ball is set around what would be considered a 2" drop (drop is measured from the top of the receiver tube)

WP_20150405_010.jpg

I use this same hitch setup. If you check, most stingers aren't rated over 5000 lbs.

I tow with a Toyota Sequoia, I added Firestone air bags and it completely levels off when I tow and eliminates bump steer. Have you considered doing this on your rig? It's a $100 investment, $400 if you do the compressor and air gauge.

My 2008 Tundra sagged a good 3" with my boat. Drove me nuts...

Why? The suspension is supposed to compress some under load, that is why truck sit tail high unloaded. Or did you install a leveling kit and make the truck ride goofy when towing.

Edited by oldjeep

Why? The suspension is supposed to compress some under load, that is why truck sit tail high unloaded. Or did you install a leveling kit and make the truck ride goofy when towing.

The latter. It was leveled (as are a lot of 1/2 ton trucks) so something for the OP to keep in mind - a leveled truck probably needs airbags.

FWIW, truck rode fine with the squat, but visually it was not appealing at all.

The latter. It was leveled (as are a lot of 1/2 ton trucks) so something for the OP to keep in mind - a leveled truck probably needs airbags.

FWIW, truck rode fine with the squat, but visually it was not appealing at all.

A leveled truck that is used as a truck just needs the leveling kit removed ;)

I'm curious about this as well. I have an F-150 as well and have towed the 96 SSLX for years with a 2-3" drop hitch but our new boat will be here in the next couple weeks and it's a lot heavier and I'm wondering if the same hitch will work or not.

A leveled truck that is used as a truck just needs the leveling kit removed ;)

So we can't have a truck that sits level and still use it as a truck? A simple set of airbags says that I can. If I had a trailer hooked up all the time, I may not level the front, but who does that and still has a half ton? On the other hand, I absolutley would still level the front end and add airbags because towing with bags has its benefits as well. I've towed many trailers, even with a 1 ton diesel with and without airbags, and I can tell you that I prefer to have airbags versus not. But to each their own, if someone wants to drive a boring stock 2wd truck who am I to judge. But don't say we can't use our leveled trucks as trucks, that is just an ignorant statement.

So we can't have a truck that sits level and still use it as a truck? A simple set of airbags says that I can. If I had a trailer hooked up all the time, I may not level the front, but who does that and still has a half ton? On the other hand, I absolutley would still level the front end and add airbags because towing with bags has its benefits as well. I've towed many trailers, even with a 1 ton diesel with and without airbags, and I can tell you that I prefer to have airbags versus not. But to each their own, if someone wants to drive a boring stock 2wd truck who am I to judge. But don't say we can't use our leveled trucks as trucks, that is just an ignorant statement.

What I'm saying is there are 2 standard truck threads.

1) why does my truck ride like crap now or why are my CVs making noise - all I did was put in 2" pucks in the front

2) why does the back of my truck sag, I leveled it and now it looks like it drags tail when I put something in the bed or tow.

Airbags are a separate discussion and have their benefits, but when used only because you messed up the stock geometry of the truck they are a bit silly.

If it floats your boat then do it, just don't get what makes having a truck "level" cool

Edited by oldjeep

Everyone has their own opinion of "cool". I would put airbags in with or without raising the front end and I have never seen a thread that says "why does the back of my truck sag?" If it sags that means you have something hooked up or in the bed, I think most people can understand that. But just because I think a 1" rake looks better than a truck with a 3" front rake, that doesn't mean I can't use it as a truck. But after reading a lot of your posts I can tell if it is not your way, it must be wrong. So all I can say at this point that won't be contradicted is "Cheers, enjoy the season!" Oh, and my truck still rides the same as it did before the 2" pucks.

I'm curious about this as well. I have an F-150 as well and have towed the 96 SSLX for years with a 2-3" drop hitch but our new boat will be here in the next couple weeks and it's a lot heavier and I'm wondering if the same hitch will work or not.

When I pick up the boat this weekend I'll measue the exact drop.

Maybe 1.5 - 2" at the hitch on mine (400-500lbs tongue weight). Which is going to mean nothing for your Ford since I've got a 2WD coil sprung Ram and a lighter boat.Do yourself a favor and buy a decent adjustable hitchhttps://www.andersenhitches.com/Catalog/6-rapid-hitch.aspx

Thanks for the recommendation, just ordered one of the Anderson Hitches.

Thanks for the recommendation, just ordered one of the Anderson Hitches.

Hope you like it. If you leave it in all the time then the lock kit is a good idea, although I will say I've been through 3 of the pin locks in 8-9 years for the level adjustment. They don't make them and they rust if you leave it in all the time like I do.