Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stock Sony Tower Speakers / Cans - 2004 LSV

sidekicknicholas

Heyyo,

Hoping to upgrade my tower speakers in the near future and just wondering if there is any decent retro fit I can pop into the original housings? Or is it not even worth my time and I should just be looking into Wetsounds / Exile / etc from the start.

Here are the stock speakers / cans that would be getting the facelift -

THANKS!!!!

nz8QsDG.jpg

What are you looking for in a new driver?

I guess my perfect setup would be:

* Decent highs and mids

* Audible while wakeboarding - doesn't have to be so loud people on shore s*** their pants when we turn the corner, just lound enough to hear while wakeboarding, and surfing shouldn't be an issue ever.

* Ideally not be so expensive it scares my wife away.

Edited by sidekicknicholas

I guess my perfect setup would be:

* Decent highs and mids

* Audible while wakeboarding - doesn't have to be so loud people on shore s*** their pants when we turn the corner, just lound enough to hear while wakeboarding, and surfing shouldn't be an issue ever.

* Ideally not be so expensive it scares my wife away.

To hear wakeboarding you really do need a LOUD setup. Your neighbors will know who you are if you want to hear with the handle in your hand. if the kicker 6500.2 setup will fit in those cans, that's definitely the way to go. http://www.halfpricecaraudio.com/Kicker-KM6500.2-6.5-Marine-Audio-Component-Speakers-200-Watts-RMS-10KM6500.2.htm?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=GoogleBaseFeed&gclid=CKKY4rHtlsUCFQqVfgodp1MA1Q

Then a decent amp that will do 250w per channel.

And if it's not loud enough, then add fresh air exhaust.

Awesome, thanks!

In our old boat (Supersport Nautique) I had a kicker setup and could hit it just find while wakeboarding and they weren't even HCLD speakers.

I'll have to measure things up to night and hope those fit .... being able to get out of a retrofit for $600 would be nice.

I dont think the Kicker HLCD setup will fit those pods. IIRC, those pods are for a 6" speaker, the Kicker has a 7" OD and requires a 5-11/16" hole.

The OP is definitely going to be in the HLCD arena. Loud enough to hear at 80" is likely loud enough to hear on shore.

Decent mids would be an 8" HLCD for sure.

What are the odds the speakers from the Kicker KMT60 package will fit into these cans? We had the KMT60 speakers on our Supersport, and bang for the buck they were great.... there is a set for sale in the classifieds here that might work great for this year for me.

Then next year I would probably move those to the interior and replace the towers with something HLCD.

What are the odds the speakers from the Kicker KMT60 package will fit into these cans? We had the KMT60 speakers on our Supersport, and bang for the buck they were great.... there is a set for sale in the classifieds here that might work great for this year for me.

Then next year I would probably move those to the interior and replace the towers with something HLCD.

Those are actually 6.5" woofers, not coaxials. Theres 2 woofers, a tweeter and a crossover to tie it all together, in each pod. Their physical specs are about the same as the KM6500 woofers as well.

Why not just stick a higher end coaxial in those pods. I garentee the wetsounds xs650's will be a night and day difference from the Sony. I would look into any marine speaker rated for 100w ram. The amp makes a huge difference too. If you stick with coaxial, I'd would give them 100w each. Everyone is on the wetsounds and HLCD bandwagon but not everyone needs that.

No one realizes how easy it is to spend other people's money haha.

Edited by kx250frider617

I've had a cheap set of alpine 7" coaxials that I could clearly hear 70' back. So HLCD aren't necessary. Hell my stock axis tower speakers were audible back there. he also stated he wants something where the price won't scare his wife away. 2 sets of HLCD with the proper amp is pretty much $3k. That's a huge sticker shock for someone that's not educated about stereo equipment.

All in saying, is it's easy to tell someone else to drop $3000.

I'm willing to bet, the OP will be completely satisfied with throwing two pairs of wetsounds xs650, JL m650, or Rockford 6.5" along with a Rockford t800-4 or equivalent.

Sure, one could spend 3K on 2 pair of HLCDs amp, but no need to. HLCD is so much more efficient for projecting. Thats the greatest reason to go with them, over traditional coaxial when wake range projection is the goal. I bet the OP could walk out the door with a pair of Rev-8 and an HT-4 for about $1500.

My experience with tower speakers was on our old Supersport.... which I cobbled together. I bought it when I was 16, so didn't have a ton to spend on it along the way.

We ran 4x Kicker KTMXX (non HLCD) speakers and a 660w Sony Amp (walmart) .... I could hear this crystal clear while wakeboarding. We added 2x 8" Bazooka speakers, but that was basically for "filling out" the tower, they didn't do s***.

The Kickers were wired in Parallel so they ate up 2 channels for 4 speakers, then each Bazooka got a channel. Then we had a 15" Type-R w/ a 1000w amp in the drivers kick panel. We didn't run in-boat 6.5" speakers with this, but again was perfectly audible while wakeboarding because of those kickers.

If I wasn't married, I would probably look into a set of Rev8s and Rev10s.... but, since I have to convince the wife our "new" boat needs another $1000 in ballast upgrades, $1100 in perfect pass, and stereo upgrades is a tough sell. That's why I was hoping for a plug-n-play option into the stock cans to make things a little more reasonable.

Edited by sidekicknicholas

So now you have a "nice" boat with a stereo that works. Skip the stereo upgrade this year. Do the ballast and the perfect pass and then circle back on the stereo next season when it's the only upgrade. That way you'll have all winter to acquire your parts and hunt for deals too.