Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

97 response engine cover

jbower

Well everyone I just did a carb swap on my response it had the 350 merc tournament ski carb package and swapped to 350 mag tournament ski mpi .Everything looks great and runs a million times better but the intake is huge and the engine cover needs about a inch added to it on the front. Any suggestions?

Well the front of the spark arrestor and the very front of the intake. With spark arrestor off I need an inch with spark arrestor on I need like 2 inch

Buy some HDPE and cut 4 strips, one for each side. Cut the strips into 6" widths. Cover them with a carpet that either matches well, or if not is a good complimentary color, something that matches other parts of the interior. Bolt the covered strips to the outside of the engine cover with stainless steel bolts, with 3" overhanging below the engine cover - thereby raising your cover by 3". Mount the hinges to that strip. Your gas springs should be able to stay mounted to their current mounts. If done right that should all look pretty good. The biggest challenge will be finding a carpet that either matches or is a good complimentary color.

That sounds like a good idea. My question is that is that stuff bendable with heat. Where I could just cut two long pieces and heat it up and bend it around the corners ?

That sounds like a good idea. My question is that is that stuff bendable with heat. Where I could just cut two long pieces and heat it up and bend it around the corners ?

That's a good idea too. Not sure if the stuff bends, I've never tried it. Can't hurt to try though.

You could also simply add a spacer ring to the floor, Nautiques have 2 piece engine covers. Make a ring that lays on the floor and will hinge with the existing hinges, then attach the existing engine box to that with hinges at the back and an overcenter or rubber stretch clamp at the front. This way you can easily convert back to original. HDPE or even make a fiberglass + core (PVC / Marine plywood) ring. Check Jamestown Distributors or Noah's for materials. Find a CC 196 for an example.