Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Swivel Board Racks for Illusion X Tower

NeverEnuff

We currently have fixed racks and have to take them off every time we store our boat. I did see the sampson typhoons but noticed they were 600 bucks a rack :Doh: Any other options? I dont suppose they have clamping ones for this tower do they?

We bought one from Krypt towers at the end of the season so we actually haven't used it yet. They sell just the swivel that can be used with existing racks.

I've never heard anyone praise those aftermarket add-on swivels. I thought long and hard about them before I fabricated my own on my last boat. Also, my factory swivels now don't gain (or lose) me much width, moreso just put the board in a different position since they don't swing a full 180 degrees, more like 150 or less.

http://greatlakesskipper.com/malibu-titan-wake-ta-lr2rs-mal-ixs-solid-aluminum-ski-boat-spinner-wakeboard-tower-racks-set-of-2

I purchased these and added them to my illusion x, they are for the xs originally. I had to drill another hole through the tower to make them work. Tower is hollow and easy to drill thru the aluminum. Used a SS carriage bolt and reamed out the inside hole a little bit to get the square collar of the carriage bolt to slide in better, still hit it with a few whacks of a hammer to fully seat the bolt. On for a season so far and love them, leave the boards in the rack and rotate them in to pull into the slip.

• 11 months later...

I'm also looking for Swivel Board Racks for the Illusion X tower, and this seems to be the most current thread on the subject. I see a lot of older threads recommending Titan and Metrcraft, but I don't think those are available anymore, correct? 

On 4/27/2015 at 10:22 PM, Mtn308 said:

We bought one from Krypt towers at the end of the season so we actually haven't used it yet. They sell just the swivel that can be used with existing racks.

@Mtn308, how did the Krypt racks work out? I'm a little worried that the one shown here says it only rotates 90 degrees. I need the 180 degrees to get clearance for docking. 

Regarding the swivel that can be used with existing racks, is this the one you're talking about? Two concerns with that one. 1.) It says it fits any "Krypt Quick Release racks," which makes me think it won't fit with any other rack, and 2.) and more importantly, there doesn't appear to be any Illusion X mount option. 

So, are the $600 Samson Typhoons really the only other option out there, or is there something else that I'm missing? 

Yep that's the one. Here are a few photos from mine. Overall it pretty decent and works fine. It locks at about 120 degrees and rotates 180 degrees.  If I have any complaint it's that in rough water rack will bounce pretty good due to some pendulum effect. One time that happened and the whole rack came off the boards fell into the water strapped on the rack but I found it was because the bolt they supplied with, was too short so it didn't have enough threads seated but I fixed that with a longer bolt and haven't had any issues since.  I think the next rack I'll just bite the bullet and buy a Sampson. 

• 11 months later...

I know this thread has been dead awhile. I am looking for some swivel arms as well. My Boatcurrently has two factory swivels with wakeboard racks only. Then I have two surf racks that I don't have.brackets to fit my illusion xs tower. Any reviews on the krypt? Any other options you know of?

Edited by ldeisel42