Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Paddle Wheel Hull Housing

kylegansel

Well, put the boat in today for a bit regardless of the fact it was 45 degrees out!! Had no speedo from the minute I put it in. GPS was working fine but the regular MPH gauge did nothing. Last week the boat was too far to the right on the trailer due to high winds at the launch. I backed the trailer in a bit and centered the boat on the bunks See the photo. https://www.dropbox.com/s/bfu4858d97hfxq0/image1.JPG?dl=0 Both paddle wheel housing fins got bent over. When I pulled the boat out I was able to bend the one back slightly. It might work next weekend when I can try it again but I was curious if those fins are attached to the whole unit or if they are part of a separate housing attached to the hull? I'm getting lake temp just fine so I'd think the sending unit is working ok so I'd just like to fix the housing if it were separate. Couldn't really find any good photos online. I've even read some guys have broken off the fins / ears and theirs still works fine so maybe that's another option.

Don't know why Malibu puts it so close to the bunks on the trailer. Our Mastercraft has a good 6" from the bunks. This is right next to it.

Edited by kylegansel

Tne paddlewheel is attached to the removable part of the unit. You can buy just the paddlewheel or a repair kit from various places. The unit is an Airmar brand unit. Perfect Pass also carries the parts.

Yeeper I did the same thing on my boat lift. I was able to bend the fins back and all worked fine. I did recalibrate the speed O just to be sure. Us slalom skiers can be so picky!

Yeah - hopefully I can bend the fins back for now. Just picked up this boat 3 weeks ago. The accessories have been $$ and don't feel like spending anything else at this time.

Same thing happened to me when the daughter drove it on a bit off centre ... Bent the side fins over and smashed the paddle wheel - the paddle wheel itself is easily replaced and I just bent the fins back - all good again ! As far as I know the fins are not replaceable - certainly not part of the standard paddle wheel replacement kit ...