Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Don't like 303

Anyone else besides me don't like 303 protectent on their vinyl? I prefer the feel of the fresh cleaned vinyl but if I try any 303 at all it gets that slight oil feel that feels like a used car. I've bought many of hose but never like that feel so I wash clean and just keep that clean feeling. My old boat was never protected with any spray and did well. Does this Malibu vinyl need the 303?

I wipe it down & the vinyl soaks it in. The greasy feel is gone in less than a couple hours in the sun.

Like the bottle says, it's sunscreen for your stuff. I live in an area where the sun will fade & fry your stuff over the course of a couple years. Colrs fade, whites go chalky, vinyl cracks, etc. So products like 303 & Sunbrella, that are resistant to the sun, usually go over pretty well. I use it on my truck dash, on the plastics on my bike or golf cart, the vinyl in my Jeep, the plastics on my Avalanche, etc. The option would be to keep the boat covered a lot. My boat spends quite a bit of the summer on the dock, in the sun, sometimes with the cover off, but a lot of that without the cover.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
  • Like 2

If it feels too oily then you either used too much or don't let it soak in. Used it on al the vinyl in my last boat - a 2005 that I bought new and the bright white seats were still perfect 9 years later when we sold it.

• Like 1

I don't use it either. It is a great product for what it does. My problem with it is, we lay our surfboards on the sun pad with the fins up. When the sunpad has 303 on the vinyl, the 303 will transfer to the surfboard pads making the surfboard pads slick. The problem isn't too much product on the application but it transfers. I only use Boat Bling vinyl sauce and Condition sauce.

I have a love / hate relationship with 303. I love the fact that it protects as well as it does, but don't care for how slippery it gets. My boat sits under a covered hoist, so it doesn't see the sun a whole lot. I pull it out every few weeks to just sit in the sun for a while, but generally it's not all that exposed.

I've also had a good experience with the vinyl sauce and condition sauce. Great products.

Also not a big fan of 303. I used it a few times at the beginning of the year, but now the slippery feel is annoying. We raft up with a lot of other friends; going boat to boat on the sunpad becomes dangerous.

I use 303 twice a year, once when I get the boat out in the spring and once in the middle of the season when I do the full detail. My boat is under the Evo, and under the lift canopy when it is not in use.

When I DO use 303 I leave it uncovered in the sun for an hour and the slipperyness goes away.

I use 303 twice a year on the interior and on the hull anytime it gets waxed. I just ordered some of that vinyl conditioner so waiting to add that this year and maybe forgo the 303 on the vinyl.

I will say though, 303 caused one of the best experiences on my boat. My old boss "requested" that I take his daughter and three of her friends tubing on my boat once. So, he and I and four screaming teenage girls go out tubing (yeah, it was as bad as you can imagine). I had just 303'd the whole boat including the rear deck. One of the girls gets in the boat and unclips the rope holding the tube and pulls the line over the deck. It starts to slip off, my boss dives at the rope to keep it from falling in the water, hits that fresh 303 surface and skims right into the lake. This was an old I/O so luckily no large swim deck. He bobs up out of the water, cell phone in hand and throws it into the boat to keep it from getting destroyed in the water. The phone hits the bulkhead right in front of the passenger seat and explodes into pieces. Fun day....

• Like 2

I will say though, 303 caused one of the best experiences on my boat. My old boss "requested" that I take his daughter and three of her friends tubing on my boat once. So, he and I and four screaming teenage girls go out tubing (yeah, it was as bad as you can imagine). I had just 303'd the whole boat including the rear deck. One of the girls gets in the boat and unclips the rope holding the tube and pulls the line over the deck. It starts to slip off, my boss dives at the rope to keep it from falling in the water, hits that fresh 303 surface and skims right into the lake. This was an old I/O so luckily no large swim deck. He bobs up out of the water, cell phone in hand and throws it into the boat to keep it from getting destroyed in the water. The phone hits the bulkhead right in front of the passenger seat and explodes into pieces. Fun day....

That's a good one! It's funny how noobs do stuff like that. Like the rope was going to be gone forever if he did not dive for it.

I love 303, and put it on everything - Jeep roll bar padding & interior, beach chairs, boat upholstery, anything that is going to be out in the sun. I haven't tried anything else though, so I guess I might not know what I'm missing.

I have a love / hate relationship with 303. I love the fact that it protects as well as it does, but don't care for how slippery it gets.

No kidding. ....Waxed and 303ed last weekend. Now every time I through a towel or put anything on the

deck or dog house, I have to make sure it doesn't just slide off. Need to get out in the sun for our first run!

I use 303 when I do a full interior detail and use boat candy or boat bling conditioner when I'm doing a quick clean.

I use 303 at least one a month. It protects from the sun, and it makes the vinyl less absorbent. If I don't cover my boat (on a lift) we sometimes get bugs and/or their droppings on the vinyl. If I have recently 303'd the boat, a wet towel easily cleans up any mess.

What am I missing? Why do you bother with the boat candy or boat bling conditioner if you already have 303 on hand?

I use 303 at least one a month. It protects from the sun, and it makes the vinyl less absorbent. If I don't cover my boat (on a lift) we sometimes get bugs and/or their droppings on the vinyl. If I have recently 303'd the boat, a wet towel easily cleans up any mess.

What am I missing? Why do you bother with the boat candy or boat bling conditioner if you already have 303 on hand?

303 just seems to make things a little too slick. I'll 303 before long trips to the cabin (4 hour drive) and a few other times during the season but if I want to do a quick clean the morning before going out on the boat with friends boat candy and bling conditioner give the vinyl a nice feel and smell good but are not as slick. They also are a little more forgiving if you use too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk