Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Got Custom?

king_kong

what have u done to your boat to make it special. custom graphics, led's, chrome, more speakers, what??

if u got pics, great post um and show your work!

(since i just got my first malibu i'm already trying to find some cool way to make mine stand out from the rest. right now i'm thinkin of custom graphics and some led's)

Edited by king_kong

onamission, where'd you get that particular throttle knob and does it match Malibu's Dark Blue gel? Do the knobs just unscrew and swap out?

hey when u guys put led's in your boat do u wire them to and acc. switch or just replace the intier lighting with the led's?

Mine are hooked to the battery so that I don't have to have the interior lights on when the LED's are on....okay...there was just too many wires behind the dash and I was confused so I hooked er up to the batter :)

Mine are hooked to the battery so that I don't have to have the interior lights on when the LED's are on....okay...there was just too many wires behind the dash and I was confused so I hooked er up to the batter :)

so your led's r just on 24/7?

onamission, where'd you get that particular throttle knob and does it match Malibu's Dark Blue gel? Do the knobs just unscrew and swap out?

The throttle knob is an Isotta from Maniaracing in Italy. Its almost a perfect match to the dark blue vinyl so it should be close to the gel. The knob does come apart. Since I already had the Malibu Isotta knob and wanted to keep the Malibu emblem on top, I just needed to swap out the center leather section . The new knob uses set screws to lock it in place or an insert would need to be fabricated. SunriseH2OSkier should be able to help with that, he bought the knob with the black leather.

Edited by onamission
hey when u guys put led's in your boat do u wire them to and acc. switch or just replace the intier lighting with the led's?

I just replaced my lights with the LED's.

so your led's r just on 24/7?

:lol: Nope, they have their own control module...check out this thread LED LIGHTS

onamission--after checking out your link with Isotta items, I'm surprised you didn't go with the color matched blue steering wheel as well.

I think I the website has the steering wheel Malibu will be using for 2007 boats as well.

onamission--after checking out your link with Isotta items, I'm surprised you didn't go with the color matched blue steering wheel as well.

I think I the website has the steering wheel Malibu will be using for 2007 boats as well.

I did think about it, then thought it would be too much.

No it wouldn't, Larry - it would be awesome! Besides, how else am I gonna get a good deal on the steering wheel for my ride? Whistling.gif

The throttle knob is an Isotta from Maniaracing in Italy. Its almost a perfect match to the dark blue vinyl so it should be close to the gel. The knob does come apart. Since I already had the Malibu Isotta knob and wanted to keep the Malibu emblem on top, I just needed to swap out the center leather section . The new knob uses set screws to lock it in place or an insert would need to be fabricated. SunriseH2OSkier should be able to help with that, he bought the knob with the black leather.

It took a little bit of experimentation, but I found the perfect insert at McMaster. It's been a couple years now, but looking though the McMaster site, I think it is called a Female Threaded Hex Standoff (I'd post the link, but the McMaster site doesn't work real well that way). Unfortunately, I don't see the exact one I found last time. I actually bought two, and have the second one in front of me, so I can at least provide the dimensions.

The hex shape is the key - there are 3 set screws on the Isotta knob, spread 120deg apart. The hex shape gives them a nice flat surface to bite into. The other key dimension is the 'Hex Width' - 1/2" is critical. This is almost the perfect size to have a snug fit inside the circular collar of the knob. I actually had to grind off just a bit on each of the corners of the hex to get it to fit in there, nice and snug without having to wedge it in. The standoff I got was 1.12" long and stainless. Also, I don't recall the exact thread size - it's definitely metric, maybe 7mm, and it seems like it was a fine pitch of some form. I found the right size by going to the local Home Depot with my old throttle knob, and trying different screws.

I tried other means of adapting the Isotta Knob to the throttle arm including things like nylon inserts from HD, but nothing came close to working as well as this did. Not sure why I can't seem to find the same dimension part at McMaster now - seems like they carry one of everything. I'll see if I can find the original order sheet with a p/n.

post-60-1150252235.gif

Edited by SunriseH2OSkier

No it wouldn't, Larry - it would be awesome! Besides, how else am I gonna get a good deal on the steering wheel for my ride? Whistling.gif

No.gif Not this year, but I do have a 6.5 version PP chip and a 5" tach from my old 2000 RLX sitting around.

Also, I don't recall the exact thread size - it's definitely metric, maybe 7mm, and it seems like it was a fine pitch of some form.

Left-handed?

Also, I don't recall the exact thread size - it's definitely metric, maybe 7mm, and it seems like it was a fine pitch of some form.

Left-handed?

ROFL.gif Only for you Jack, only for you...

• 1 month later...

I put a hot-water shower in the '86.

It's a life-saver in the off-season when you're getting out, or for putting on a wet vest before getting in.

Doesn't do much for the look of the boat, but I get a longer look at Mrs. Dubya in her bathing suit on a cold day Biggrin.gif