Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Pump upgrade anyone done this?

DarkSide

I know people on here prefer reversible pumps. I personally have only one complaint with the factory aerators, they seem a bit slow, no where near 1100 GPH. So i looked up the specs. These are only 1100@ 0 head. I am conservatively estimating 3~4 feet of head in our rear pnp. At 4' the current pumps slow down to 700 gph, at 6' they are at 500 GPh. I think this is why "Slower" reversible fill faster, they are stronger pumps and maintain thier rated speed. My thought is sticking with aerator but swapping out to these.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002IVEBTA/ref=mp_s_a_1_22?qid=1429915252&sr=1-22π=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&dpPl=1&dpID=41KImAvDWgL&ref=plSrch

At 6' head they are still pushing 1800 GPH! So i am thinking 2.5~3x faster fill time. Fill time is not a big deal on the front and center tanks, but on the 1100 PNP and hard tank, it takes a few minutes. I could care less about fast drain, i got all the time in the world to drain while getting back to the dock. It is the fill that i would like to speed up.

Are you filling PnP sacs? If so, I would add a supplemental fill (1100 or 1200 GPH) pump for each PNP. This basically relieves the OEM pump from the duties of filling the extra sac. This may be easier job depending on the physical size of those 2K GPH pumps and any mods needed to accommodate there inlet and outlet size.

I was contemplating adding an additional 1 1/4 intake, this could feed 2 of the 2k pumps, they have 1" inlet, 1 1/8 outlet. Then feeding PNP at a 2nd fill port. This should allow me to get fill time to less than 4 minutes. A 7 minute savings. This doesn't sound like much but 7 minutes every time out! I go out 40+ times a year. Frequently on a weekday, where i only have 3~3.5 hours on the water.

That would greatly reduce the fill time, especially with the faster pump feeding the PnP and original still feeding the tank. Ive done similar on other brands when we swap out the small surf sac for a 1200 lbs surf sac.

With those having a 1" inlet, makes them easy to work with. If needed, put them each on their one 1: thru-hull if T'ing off a single wont work.

IMO plumbing the bags and hard tank completely separate is way better than plug and play. Yes it adds extra wiring and switches but I don't think overflowing the tank into a bag could be as efficient as just plumbing it separate.

IMO plumbing the bags and hard tank completely separate is way better than plug and play. Yes it adds extra wiring and switches but I don't think overflowing the tank into a bag could be as efficient as just plumbing it separate.

I totally agree in regards to the old school piggyback, but the way Malibu and Tige do their fill plumbing for the surf sacs, does not have the tank filling first then overflow pushing to the sac on top. The fill flow go through a Y fitting so each receive fill flow. The tank will obviously going to reach full first. At that point, head pressure diverts the bulk of the flow to the larger sac. Much more efficient than a traditional piggyback setup, but still slow due to the volume of the tank and sac.