Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Sony head unit - can't get low freq. tuned out of cabin speakers

hethj7

Just got the boat back with the replacement stereo from what was stolen last year. The new head unit is the Sony MEX-M70BT. When I turn the subwoofer on from the head unit, it immediately seems to muffle my cabin speakers, like it is only passing the low frequencies to cabins, when in reality I want the high frequencies going there. I'm sure it is some sort of equalizer/high pass/low pass filter issue, but I've given up for now as I couldn't figure it out in about 20 minutes of fiddling with it. Is there something simple about this head unit I'm missing? The tower speakers sound great and behave like I expect once the sub is turned on, but I can't figure the cabins out.

I'm running 3 amps, 1 for the sub, 1 for the tower, and a 4 channel for the cabins. Any thoughts?

I don't think so. It says the rbh is not enabled when the sub is on. Frankly, there are too many dang settings and equalizer son this head unit for me. Back out to tinker with it now....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I turn the subwoofer on from the head unit, it immediately seems to muffle my cabin speakers, like it is only passing the low frequencies to cabins, when in reality I want the high frequencies going there

Sounds like 2 amp are sharing the rear/sub output, which is switchable. Leave on the "REAR" setting, which is full range, and let the sub amp's cross-over filter and Hz do their thing.

Sounds like 2 amp are sharing the rear/sub output, which is switchable. Leave on the "REAR" setting, which is full range, and let the sub amp's cross-over filter and Hz do their thing.

Not quite sure I get what you mean here, but I'll double check they got the subs properly wired to the 3 pre-outs on the head unit and work back through the sound menus to see if I see anything.

Not quite sure I get what you mean here, but I'll double check they got the subs properly wired to the 3 pre-outs on the head unit and work back through the sound menus to see if I see anything.

I wasnt 100% sure if that model had 2 or 3 output sets, it does have 3. It sure does sound like the in-boats are on the sub outputs or something similar.

I think MLA is right - after thinking about it more, I think the installer probably crossed my RCA cables between the cabin and subwoofer "downstream" of my PAC-LC1 controllers. I haven't played with it much, but commented to my wife the sub wasn't hitting hard at all. I'm betting on crossed cables as that would explain both issues.

Shawn, the menu drill downs follow the order as they are shown in the manual. Yes, SWD is subwoofer direct. So, the next menu is subwoofer mode, then subwoofer phase, etc. What I haven't found is an explanation of what the 1,2,3, or off is for subwoofer mode. Obviously, off is self explanatory, but I don't know what the difference between 1,2, and 3 is.

Never mind. I am a an idiot. I went back and read the instructions. Subwoofer direct is not to turn the sub on, it is to use "rear" speakers as a sub. Still needs a lot of tuning but at least I think it is functioning right.

Never mind. I am a an idiot. I went back and read the instructions. Subwoofer direct is not to turn the sub on, it is to use "rear" speakers as a sub. Still needs a lot of tuning but at least I think it is functioning right.

That's what I was saying yesterday (not the idiot part).

BTW, like you, I'm an "install first, read manual later" kind of guy.