Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

15' 23 lsv review

Capdoogie

Almost forgot... The sport package knob thingy.. We so far on our limited time with it primarily use it for the stereo. Even though you can use it to adjust speed, wedge and surf gate. It seems easier to just use the touch pad on the maliview screen for us. Things may change as we get more comfy with that multi use knob.. Now we're not a fan of the new black piping on the G3 tower. The black paint/powder coat is very easy to scuff or scratch so be careful.. We like the chrome pipe better. Way more durable we think. The Bimini with the surf pockets on top are almost impossible to put your boards in, total waist. Who designs this stuff? DOC mode lets you have way less power and more linear feel going forward for docking boat, but when you need that instant reverse its not there, reverse power is also effected. We don't use it, you can't panic reverse if you get into trouble if you know what I mean. There is an aggressive power mode in the setting menu. That's kinda cool it makes the throttle more sensitive right off idle if that's your Cup of tea.

Edited by Capdoogie

Almost forgot... The sport package knob thingy.. We so far on our limited time with it primarily use it for the stereo. Even though you can use it to adjust speed, wedge and surf gate. It seems easier to just use the touch pad on the maliview screen for us. Things may change as we get more comfy with that multi use knob.. Now we're not a fan of the new black piping on the G3 tower. The black paint/powder coat is very easy to scuff or scratch so be careful.. We like the chrome pipe better. Way more durable we think. The Bimini with the surf pockets on top are almost impossible to put your boards in, total waist. Who designs this stuff?

I love the black rough texture on the tower compared to the chrome which was a pain to keep clean/shiny.. The black hides a lot more IMO.. :)

As to the surf pockets on the top of the bimini, we love them, although I do agree they're difficult to get to . We've been standing up on the top rail between the windshield and the tower to set the boards. I'm probably going to put something for traction on the railing there. Honestly, we put our boards up when we're not surfing and in between trips to/from dock. So we go up there 2x all day it's not a big deal for us, and we've got a place to keep our 6' and 5' boards out of the way.

We don't have the sport knob setup because we have a custom stereo and that's part of the malibu stereo setup as I understand it so.. I've heard it's great for adjusting the wedge in smaller increments but we're not that picky so we're just fine without it. I like the cubby hole I get because of it's void, and I've making a mount point for my nexus 7 which is going to mount partially in that cubby...

Great review. I would've ordered the LSA but it's not available in California. Liberal Tree Huggin Environmentalists won't allow it. I hope the LS3 performs for me. Of course I'm only 300-400ft above sea level, so that will probably make a big difference compared to your experience.

I should get my boat next week......

All we have is 91 also. No octane boost. But at altitude you can get away with not using higher octane gas. We haven't had any problems as of yet (knock on wood) and none of my friends with this motor use boost. Not sure the actual gas savings figures. I just know that if I started with a full tank on my ls3 with full throttle and surfed a specific amount of time compared to my LSA at half throttle. I use less. Now I'm not sure of any savings at the higher wakeboard or skier speeds. When I spoke to the engine build guys they told me the ecu will recalibrate for the octane after about a 1/2 tank of gas and adjust accordingly. 91 or 93 is good. Now, I did not buy this upgrade motor for the gas savings. It was for pure ninja Super ballasted Mack daddy wave pulling power. But I'm no expert so don't Ty this at home lol . Make calls

Great review. I would've ordered the LSA but it's not available in California. Liberal Tree Huggin Environmentalists won't allow it. I hope the LS3 performs for me. Of course I'm only 300-400ft above sea level, so that will probably make a big difference compared to your experience.

I should get my boat next week......

I only have the 410 and its been more power than we need, you will be more than fine with the LS3. For surfing we have been running 800's in each locker with a 650 lb bow bag, 4-5 passengers in the boat, hard tanks full and wedge two clicks up with 1235 prop and the 410 has been easily pushing this to 11.4 mph with more to give. I ran this set up with the 2315/945 prop and it even pulled harder. Wakeboarding with factory hard tanks and wedge 2-3 clicks up the boat will pop your arms out of the sockets if you hit the throttle too hard. fwiw, the wake maker bags are really nice, they fit perfect in the ski lockers with the rear storage bins.

How much weight are you planning on running?

Full stock, 1100 PNP each side, extra 300lb port side coffin since that's primary surf side and would offset drivers weight plus a little extra. 200-300lbs lead up front under cushions. All hidden.

That's the plan based on my 2013lsv. Obviously I'm going to play with a few variables to dial it in.

Surfin USA [emoji570][emoji475]

Edited by bunji169

Cap, fuel savings and surfing is an oxymoron, i get that. I have always thought the LSA would be thirstier than the LS3. Are you running same prop or did you prop up because of the extra power? I have LS3 and 2419, i think LSA and 2315 would likely be stronger, and a touch more efficient. Again efficiency is a nice to have, performance is a requirement. For some reason i always thought the LSA required 93, if it is ok on 91, i will have to revisit.... Thank you for the info.

Full stock, 1100 PNP each side, extra 300lb port side coffin since that's primary surf side and would offset drivers weight plus a little extra. 200-300lbs lead up front under cushions. All hidden.

That's the plan based on my 2013lsv. Obviously I'm going to play with a few variables to dial it in.

Man, that is a lot of transom weight. Is that 1100 an Enzo sac? Looking forward to seeing what recipe you come up with.

Man, that is a lot of transom weight. Is that 1100 an Enzo sac? Looking forward to seeing what recipe you come up with.

Standard 1100's from Wakemakers. They'll probably only fill to 900 or so due to new hull design. Should have boat any day now!!!

So, I,m not sure why but the 15' 23 lsv has a better wake than our 14' 23 lsv. It's a little taller, steeper, doesn't have a little step in it like our last yrs wake. Also the face is smoother from top to bottom. Same ballast. It could be the power wedge II. It could be the diamond hull. The LSA motor. Maybe the surf gates come out at a different angle. Who knows? We've had three other surfers come on this boat and they Say the same thing. maybe it's all the above but it's very noticible when your surfing this wave. We video both and it's just a Tad noticible, but on the water is were you can tell the big difference. Or maybe Malibu knew we were really bad surfers and gave us a prototype surf hull to help us out. Lol

PWII, we see the same thing! I don't have any proof, but feel like the larger wedge does not run at as high an angle. I've pulled several ballasted wakeboard sets and run the wedge 4 clicks up vs 2 on every Bu I've owned.

• 1 month later...

Hands down this 15 is way better than my 14. Way easier to use maliview, no problems with screen locking like some others. Knock on wood. Wake is killer! And zero off cruise is fantastic. Malibu has hit a home run on the new PW2. And the quicker gates. Oh, best of all I need no extra front ballast sac with the LSA fully loaded. Yeah... Update on the G3 tower with the black piping. The paint mars easy, ours had to be replaced just from shipping so be careful around it. We like the look of the black but the chrome handled the bumps and bruises way better IMO.

Edited by Capdoogie
  • Like 3

Have noticed the same on black g3, I found mothers back to black works excellent on keeping tower cleaned and looking new. Also helps remove any scratches or scuffs on the tower.